Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Now is the time to trade Marc Gasol

He's set to make $24.1 million next season and a player option for $25.6 the year after that 2019 season, and no way is he taking this team back to the Conference Finals or NBA Finals within the next two years!  Unload his max contract, get rid of Chandler Parson as soon as possible, and shift to a youth rebuild.   However, since the Raiders are now moving to Las Vegas and after spending over 7 months living there, I'm hearing they want an NBA team and I can see it happening, rather it be a new franchise team the Memphis Grizzlies.   But a team will be there within the next 7 or 8 years.

I would honestly rather wait til draft day or even after the draft when more parts are moving, but thats not gone happen either.

absolutely listen and maybe even make a call, but don't deal just to deal.

that would be idiotic. this team could rebound very quickly with a really good young player, and mike & marc back.

but...again, if a good deal comes along....yes, listen closely.

slim.

They're so invested in gettin Tyreke to a playoff team, obviously they would do the same for Gasol. Let's take a look at the playoff teams who would actually be interested in Gasol right now at this very moment, thinking he could be a missing piece to a championship;

Cleveland
Washington‎
maybe Boston

Now how bout the teams that could actually afford to take him on;

Cleveland

Now the teams that would trade their picks for him;

Noone

The Cavs haven't been budging on giving the Clips the Nets pick for Deandre Jordan. Why would they do differently for Gasol? So you say now is the time to trade him, but now is not the time for other teams to trade for him.

Yeah, i wish.   Imho, he is holding back the offense.  

One online article said the interest in gasol wasn't really that strong.  Another article says the grizz have no interest in trading him.   I'm guessing at least the 2nd article is correct.

If the intent is to keep the team in memphis and rebuild a team to win a championship, he should be gone and there should be no issue in trading him. 

If the intent next year is to keep nearly the same team and add a top lottery pick, it might help the grizz get that 6th to 8th spot and a first round exit in the playoffs if all 3 big contracts can stay healthy.  The only exception is if that lottery pick comes out playing at a michael jordan level. 

When a team has a handicap like chandler parsons, it's gonna be hard to do anything and get to that top level.  Unless there is some way to unload parson's contract, the grizz should also trade mike conley and start building the next "team" to represent grit and grind.

again, read above..i don't think we really should trade him, but cleveland is the one team in my mind that makes the most sense.

he would be fabulous there. he would anchor a defensive foundation there. his passing would be huge there as well.

deandre is not in gasol's league as far as what he would mean to them imo.

i think they'd talk a 1st for him.

slim.

Just now, memphis slim said:

again, read above..i don't think we really should trade him, but cleveland is the one team in my mind that makes the most sense.

he would be fabulous there. he would anchor a defensive foundation there. his passing would be huge there as well.

deandre is not in gasol's league as far as what he would mean to them imo.

i think they'd talk a 1st for him.

slim.

Gasol has fallen off a cliff defensively and got Fizz fired (which ticked off LeBron).   If they aren't giving up that stuff for DeAndre (more impactful defensive center) they sure as heck aint giving it up for the older more moody Gasol.   

I really don't think teams have real interest in Gasol and aren't offering much to get him.  

i think you are a little too close to the forest to appreciate the trees.

it is my o that gasol is a much more valuable player than deandre.

he impacts both sides of the floor.

i think he has a lot more value than what you perceive.

again, probably a moot point in the end.

slim.

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Gasol has fallen off a cliff defensively and got Fizz fired (which ticked off LeBron).   If they aren't giving up that stuff for DeAndre (more impactful defensive center) they sure as heck aint giving it up for the older more moody Gasol.   

I really don't think teams have real interest in Gasol and aren't offering much to get him.  

People have already convinced themselves that the Cavs would easily give up all their picks for Gasol and/or Reke and all their problems would be fixed.

5 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim.

IMO, Gasol with Lebron > Jordan with Lebron.

6 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim.

I really think they are a wash but when it comes to modern NBA - Bigs with DeAndre skillset are more desirable than Marc is now.  3- 4 years ago you are absolutely correct.   DJ ability to protect rim and rebound like a beast is more valuable now than a C that can pass and shoot jumpers.    If Gasol was more athletic and could play in a faster paced offense then without a doubt he would be more valuable.   

I really think Grizz fans always undervalue DJ due to our innate hatred of all things Clippers.   He is a former Allstar, DPOY and always elite level rebounder.    

Gasol hasn't impacted the defense positively in 2 seasons now.   He has moved into one sided offensive player territory just like DJ is mainly a defensive player.     Marc is living off reputation when it comes to his defense now.    The stats bear this out. 

Cavs need defense more than they need another big that can't protect the rim.   Marc is more impactful when he is the fulcrum of the offense and the Cavs wouldn't use him that way.   Kevin Love has struggled with that transition but atleast he offered elite rebounding.   Marc isn't a strong enough rebounder or aggressive enough offensive player to make the adjustment to playing with ball-dominant Lebron, Isaiah, and Wade.   Those are the reasons why i think DJ is a better fit for them. 

However, i am all for Cavs sending us BKN 1rst for him.  I just don't believe that offer was ever on the table. 

8 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

IMO, Gasol with Lebron > Jordan with Lebron.

I read this post out of context and I was about to have an aneurysm until I realized you meant Deandre.

DeAndre, is a better offensive player at the rim, but you can run an offense through Gasol.  And it does make a huge difference that a center guarding Gasol has to step out to the 3 point line.  If guarding DeAndre, you can keep a foot in the lane, and if it is late in the game or he gets by you on offense, just foul him.  

DeAndre protects the rim better, but from several accounts, Marc understands team defense and can direct it better.

So, for those who judge a player on number of dunks and blocks, and SportsCenter highlights, I can see why some would choose DJ.

But I still believe Zach Lowe when he wrote “I’m not sure there’s a larger gap between the level of nationwide fan appreciation for a player and the level of appreciation from coaches/scouts/league executives for that player than the gap for Gasol. People inside the league adore this guy.”

Lets say we keep Gasol and we make the playoffs next year but then he opts out. What happens next? Maybe he takes a pay cut?

Gasol is having a bad year and the Grizzlies are terrible (ie, the "winner" label is fading). You have to update his value accordingly.

Gasol ain't going anywhere. 

Good thing no ones holding rights to Adria Gasol.

If ever some team had it, we probably would've traded Marc for the younger Gasol. LOL

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

I read this post out of context and I was about to have an aneurysm until I realized you meant Deandre.

:lol::lol::lol:

I almost added "and no, I don't mean Michael Jordan."

2 hours ago, cdp said:

They're so invested in gettin Tyreke to a playoff team, obviously they would do the same for Gasol. Let's take a look at the playoff teams who would actually be interested in Gasol right now at this very moment, thinking he could be a missing piece to a championship;

Cleveland
Washington‎
maybe Boston

Now how bout the teams that could actually afford to take him on;

Cleveland

Now the teams that would trade their picks for him;

Noone

The Cavs haven't been budging on giving the Clips the Nets pick for Deandre Jordan. Why would they do differently for Gasol? So you say now is the time to trade him, but now is not the time for other teams to trade for him.

I agree, mannnnnnnnnnnn the CAVS have been super busy today!

12 minutes ago, The REF said:

I agree, mannnnnnnnnnnn the CAVS have been super busy today!

Yea i don't think they're done. We're not either. 

2 hours ago, Memfizz said:

Gasol is holding the team back and brings down the morale with a horrible attitude.

You know Wallace won't do it though.

Right, he doesn't have the BALLS to pull this trade off.

Imo, if you are stuck on keeping this team together and just adding a lottery pick, could the grizz not trade tyreke for a 2nd round pick,  resign him and then convince him to be the 6th man of the year next year and lead the 2nd unit?