Thomas

2018 trade deadline thread

12 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Brooks was an ultra efficient do everything college senior. His advanced metrics were good. Pac-10 player of the year but a senior. It seems like somebody an analytics guy would say is undervalued.

Wallace, IMO, drifts towards highly ranked high schoolers that underperformed with our picks (which would be Davis and Rabb, in previous years Xavier Henry and Tony Wroten, Wade Baldwin also I guess). Wallace likes younger players

I think most of it is myth perpetuated by overly analytic posters.  Nobody knows whose pick is whose.

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

We aren't winning **** for the next five years at least. Gasol is 33 and losing value by the minute in a league that is moving away from players of his type. Why hang onto him? Thompson and Shumpert are trash but they'd help us stay above the salary floor while rebuild.

Your line of thinking is how you become a habitual bottom dweller. Picking up as many assets as possible when it's clear the run is over is how you have a quick, less painful rebuild.

Granted the odds of this deal are very low but don't act like it's a ridiculous proposal.

Deals like this are how you become the Kings or Suns. Cultures of winning and losing are real things.

You can't just give everything away to suck. You could do it 5 years ago but now everybody who's not making the playoffs is tanking. Even teams in 9th or 10th in the conference consider tanking. Plus, with lottery reform upcoming you'd rather be the 5th worst team not the worst

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

I think most of it is myth perpetuated by overly analytic posters.  Nobody knows whose pick is whose.

yeah, it can't be proven. It's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

yeah, it can't be proven. It's just my opinion.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable.  I just see so many speculations on these boards that eventually become accepted as fact without any corroborating evidence that I like to challenge that line of thinking.  I have opinions too (sometimes wrong).

I agree with your assessment of that Cavs trade for Thompson and Shumpert.  Bad idea.

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

What do you think we are going to get for Evans? What's the rumor? 

Hopefully a 1st round pick.

Short of that I would expect at least a decent player on a rookie deal. 

If we can't land either of those two assets I'd say we would be losing any theoretical trade. 

stomach flu = cant sleep = way to much time to think about the grizzlies...  so.. a lot of rumblings and unclear thoughts but what hit me was: this season might be just what the DR ordered.

think about it. we are capped out and missing key pieces to be real competitive and having one of the worst contracts in the league (parsons)... We where going to be 6-8 seed if all healthy (yes I believe that) and unless we struck gold late in 1st we weren't really getting any better...

Now suddenly we are in a very interesting position

- we will get a high 1st round pick (our own) in a very strong draft

- I do think we will get good value from Tyreke

- we are seeing some good development on some of the young players

so yes call me sunshine patrol. I actually look forward to next year with optimism

- I would look to trade Jam and Wright (or just waive him). I don't think we can find a taker for maclemore.. if we could.....

PG Conley/Harrison/Kobi

SG: Selden/?/Bmac

SF: Brooks/Parsons/Ennis

PF DraftPick/Jarell/Rabb

C Gasol /DD

and no I am not saying pick for need. pick bpa but no idea who that would be..

43 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

stomach flu = cant sleep = way to much time to think about the grizzlies...  so.. a lot of rumblings and unclear thoughts but what hit me was: this season might be just what the DR ordered.

think about it. we are capped out and missing key pieces to be real competitive and having one of the worst contracts in the league (parsons)... We where going to be 6-8 seed if all healthy (yes I believe that) and unless we struck gold late in 1st we weren't really getting any better...

Now suddenly we are in a very interesting position

- we will get a high 1st round pick (our own) in a very strong draft

- I do think we will get good value from Tyreke

- we are seeing some good development on some of the young players

so yes call me sunshine patrol. I actually look forward to next year with optimism

- I would look to trade Jam and Wright (or just waive him). I don't think we can find a taker for maclemore.. if we could.....

PG Conley/Harrison/Kobi

SG: Selden/?/Bmac

SF: Brooks/Parsons/Ennis

PF DraftPick/Jarell/Rabb

C Gasol /DD

and no I am not saying pick for need. pick bpa but no idea who that would be..

I think we are certainly in a strong position, but history has shown we have a way of messing things up. However I am cautiously optimistic also based mainly on the strength of this draft class. 

If we can get Bagley or a dynamic wing it would put us in a decent spot moving forward. Parsons is still dead weight next year and so is McLemore (based on this year's performance). I do like Rabb. He has a legit talent for grabbing boards, but needs to bulk up a bit more though.

I just hope we don't get fleeced in this Tyreke trade or throw in someone else decent (Rabb/Selden) and watch them blow up somewhere else. 

13 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

Where did I say anything about re-signing him?

Trading players just to get rid of him doesn't make any sense. He's on a 1 year $3.3 mil contract, not a $13.3 mil contract. Who cares about that little amount? We're not getting much back for him. As a matter of fact, I would rather waive him after the trade deadline than to take back salary and/or get some useless second round draft picks. Our FO can't even hit on 1st round picks. 

The only reason to trade him is a 1st round pick. Otherwise either waive him or just let him do his thang with the youngsters. Sit Marc for the rest of the reason If Tyreke had as much impact as you guys seem to think, he would have gotten a 4 year, $100 mil contract to start somewhere, not a 1 year $3.3 mil to (originally) come off of teh bench. He's a limited player with a ball dominant style that is not conducive to team play. Let him have fun with the youngsters and entertain the crowd. No reason to re-sign him either. Move ona nd get someone who fits your system better.

Why would you let him do his thing with the youngsters? And yes, we suck at drafting. That doesn't mean you stop trying. A second round pick is a longshot to be a rotational player. I'd still take it over nothing.

11 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Why would you let him do his thing with the youngsters? And yes, we suck at drafting. That doesn't mean you stop trying. A second round pick is a longshot to be a rotational player. I'd still take it over nothing.

Yep, that's the same thing people said when i suggested that we "should not try as hard to win games down the stretch" of the 2015-16 season because i wanted us to lose our pick in a relatively weak draft. No, no, no said most of the board, we have to get that first round pick and what did we do? We drafted Wade baldwin. How did that turn out?

I have zero confidence in this front office and getting a second round pick does nothing for me. He'll end up on the Hustle or waived before the end of the season. I don't deal in false hope. I deal in reality and more than likely, those scenarios are much more probable than finding someone who will contribute. Why add additional salary for some second round draft pick? Let Reke's salary fall off the books. Same with Wright, no need to get rid of him for 2nd round draft picks. If we can package him with Reke and get a 1st round pick and a serviceable play on a short term deal, fine. otherwise, just let his salary fall off of the books. I don't care about the Grizz FO selecting second round picks. We don't have a good history and it's nothing but false hope and more pipe dreams being sold by Wallace. 

Just a minor comment: 2nd round picks are also currency to make future trades work. Don't discount the ability to get a 2nd round pick now and use it in a pre-draft trade.

43 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

Yep, that's the same thing people said when i suggested that we "should not try as hard to win games down the stretch" of the 2015-16 season because i wanted us to lose our pick in a relatively weak draft. No, no, no said most of the board, we have to get that first round pick and what did we do? We drafted Wade baldwin. How did that turn out?

I have zero confidence in this front office and getting a second round pick does nothing for me. He'll end up on the Hustle or waived before the end of the season. I don't deal in false hope. I deal in reality and more than likely, those scenarios are much more probable than finding someone who will contribute. Why add additional salary for some second round draft pick? Let Reke's salary fall off the books. Same with Wright, no need to get rid of him for 2nd round draft picks. If we can package him with Reke and get a 1st round pick and a serviceable play on a short term deal, fine. otherwise, just let his salary fall off of the books. I don't care about the Grizz FO selecting second round picks. We don't have a good history and it's nothing but false hope and more pipe dreams being sold by Wallace. 

Here's your flaw: I never said add additional salary for a second round pick. You can move Tyreke for a second rounder and not take back salary. There are plenty of teams with trade exceptions that he will fit into. There are plenty of teams who can send an expiring plus a pick. I'm not taking back salary for a late first round pick. I'm also not keeping Tyreke under any circumstances.

Our best possible outcome is getting a great player in the top of the draft. It is much harder for us to accomplish that  that if tyreke is on the team helping us winning games. Why is that so hard to understand. Even if you were taking on a little bit of salary, which we don't have to, that would be worth moving up position to be able to draft better. Yes we suck at drafting, but we can't give up on it 

15 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

We don’t have the $$$....now if we clear Gasol to CLE for the Nets 1 and TThompson, trade Reke for a first, then resign Reke in the offseason, we clear cap space and get 3 1st rounders with 2 in the lottery for Gasol essentially. 

Would you trade Gasol for 2 first rounders, one in the lottery?

It all depends who has capspace in the offseason. Noone else could pay Tyreke more than the MLE just like us. He'll want the money but i think he'll also want to be with a playoff team. I'm hoping he sees us as one, healthy atleast.

And for what the Clips got for Griffin, i'm not so sure anymore we'd get a lottery pick for Gasol. Would probably need to take back a player on a crappy contract to get one.

50 minutes ago, cdp said:

It all depends who has capspace in the offseason. Noone else could pay Tyreke more than the MLE just like us. He'll want the money but i think he'll also want to be with a playoff team. I'm hoping he sees us as one, healthy atleast.

And for what the Clips got for Griffin, i'm not so sure anymore we'd get a lottery pick for Gasol. Would probably need to take back a player on a crappy contract to get one.

I agree...it’d be a tough sell, but I think it’s doable now with Love out. This is CLE’s last shot at a title in all likelihood. They have to strike now. Gasol gives them a shot.

I think the problem is us not trading Gasol more than CLE not trading the Nets 1. I guess Wallace inc believes one lottery pick + Gasol, Conley, Seldon, and Jam will get us back in the Playoffs contending for a top 4 seed. I don’t see it.

Trade Gasol and we could end up with 2 top 6 picks in a top 6 loaded draft. After the trade we’d be lucky to win 7 more games and would finish bottom 3. With any luck, the Nets drop to a bottom 5 record (.5 games out of 6th now).

imagine having Ayton and Young...Bagley....Porter...Doncic...etc. any combo could be amazing for us. 

I hope we all remember that even two high picks doesn't make us an instant winner. 

But at least there's a chance!  

One top-5, one top-12, healthy Parsons .... playoffs next year, who knows what after that. 

But let's also remember that there are five other top-6 draft picks that will be improving other teams.  

3 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Here's your flaw: I never said add additional salary for a second round pick. You can move Tyreke for a second rounder and not take back salary. There are plenty of teams with trade exceptions that he will fit into. There are plenty of teams who can send an expiring plus a pick. I'm not taking back salary for a late first round pick. I'm also not keeping Tyreke under any circumstances.

So the second round pick will play for free? That's what I mean by adding additional salary not the trade itself but once we draft someone and sign them to a contract.

23 minutes ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

So the second round pick will play for free? That's what I mean by adding additional salary not the trade itself but once we draft someone and sign them to a contract.

Not sure if I totally get the discussion, but a second round pick usually makes league min. Virtually every team in the league has a full roster and if any team had less than a certain amount of players have min hold on their cap as if they had that player. So a second round picks salary is irrelevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 2nd round picks non gauranteed money? And even if they do sign, the amount is minuscule 

1 hour ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

No. The team would have to pay them. But the team has 15 roster spots and 2 two-way spots. If the team intends to use them all, I would rather spend it be a 2nd round pick who has a 1% chance of becoming a decent player than an old re-tread that we already know can't play.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Mirotic gets traded to Pels. TA included and will be waived.

Omer Asik and Jameer Nelson also included.

Tony Allen waived, and Quincy Pondexter (who is a Bull) will also be waived to make room for the incoming players.

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Omer Asik and Jameer Nelson also included.

Tony Allen waived, and Quincy Pondexter (who is a Bull) will also be waived to make room for the incoming players.

Might be the end of the line in the NBA for two former Grizzlies

Just now, BigHunkALove said:

Might be the end of the line in the NBA for two former Grizzlies

Never liked Q. I think someone will pick up TA. OKC maybe. (which would be weird to see)

32 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Never liked Q. I think someone will pick up TA. OKC maybe. (which would be weird to see)

Celtics might pick him up