Sign in to follow this  
tennesseessio

Potential Offseason Trade

Memphis Trades: Chandler Parsons, Jerell Martin, Top 5 2018 Pick, 2019 1st, cash

Cleveland Trades: Kevin Love

- So obviously this trade would be contingent on all sorts of things shaking out in a certain beneficial way. I do think its entirely feasible though, and I thought it was interesting to think about so I thought i'd share...

- It looks more and more like the Cavs are going to lose LeBron James in the offseason. Thomas and Wade will be FAs as well. That doesn't really leave them with a lot. They might like to go in a younger rebuilding sort of direction. How much sense does it make to keep Love around on a bad team? They might be willing to take on 2 years of Parsons if it gets them a high-quality lotto pick in what seems like a promising top-heavy draft. Martin is a young improving player at the position they are giving up who along with an 2019 1st and some amount of cash would sweeten the bitter pill of Parson's contract. 

- The Grizzlies get an all-star who is ready to win right now. Love should be able to blend in with Conley and Gasol (and hopefully Evans) and make them better. Obviously getting off of Parson's poison contract is a plus.

- As for Evans, I think he could be resigned. Wright + Chalmers + Ennis + Martin = about 12mil. All those contracts are coming off the books. Evans makes 3mil now so that gets him up to around 15mil. A very healthy raise but probably not quite enough, so I would propose that we trade off McLemore who would be on a 1 year 5mil contract. I think there are several lotto teams that would take him off our hands if we give them a 2nd round pick. We'd have to take back something like a conditional 2nd or a cutable low salary player. That would get us to 20mil and I think we could sign him to a long term contract (given his injury history) for around 18mil.

This is what our 2018 roster would look like:

Conley, Harrison, Simmons

Seldon, Evans

Brooks, Zagorac

Love, Green, Rabb

Gasol, Davis, 

- I think that's a team that could realistically compete for an NBA title. We'd have Big4 of all-star caliber players, and some really good young role players like Seldon, Brooks, Green, Davis. Having Love in the starting lineup would allow Marc to go back to focusing on defense, 3pt. shooting, and facilitating. Evans would be a 6th man candidate and a great closer.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:21 PM, Thomas said:

No way I give up that prized pick for Love.

I wouldn't do this trade but it's not just getting Kevin Love back for the pick (a proven for an unknown), it's also getting rid of Parsons and his deadweight contract, Personally, I don't think any teams will take on Parsons contract now. I think we may have had a chance to trade it last off-season or earlier in this season but he's injured yet again.

I don't know if i would do this trade but i like the spirit of it. you have to think to yourself what's better- have a proven player who's a multi time All-Star while giving up a potential All-Star unknown and a dead weight contract OR select a lottery pick that will take 2-3 years before really getting his feet under him, who may eventually one day turn into an All-Star and keeping Parsons dead wedight contract for the next 2 years.Interesting choice. If you're going to keep Mike and Marc, why not try to win now and the only way you will probably get rid of Parsons is a deal like this. 

3 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

I wouldn't do this trade but it's not just getting Kevin Love back for the pick (a proven for an unknown), it's also getting rid of Parsons and his deadweight contract, Personally, I don't think any teams will take on Parsons contract now. I think we may have had a chance to trade it last off-season or earlier in this season but he's injured yet again.

I don't know if i would do this trade but i like the spirit of it. you have to think to yourself what's better- have a proven player who's a multi time All-Star while giving up a potential All-Star unknown and a dead weight contract OR select a lottery pick that will take 2-3 years before really getting his feet under him, who may eventually one day turn into an All-Star and keeping Parsons dead wedight contract for the next 2 years.Interesting choice. If you're going to keep Mike and Marc, why not try to win now and the only way you will probably get rid of Parsons is a deal like this. 

My mindset now is I don't want to sacrifice the future for this group. I want this pick to be our prized piece for the next rebuild.

If this was four or five years ago and we were in a similar situation I'd definitely consider the deal and rolling with a core of Mike/Marc/Love, but this run is coming to a grinding halt and after we get out of our pick debt to Boston I'm hoping for a proper rebuild around our high end lottery pick.

37 minutes ago, Thomas said:

My mindset now is I don't want to sacrifice the future for this group. I want this pick to be our prized piece for the next rebuild.

If this was four or five years ago and we were in a similar situation I'd definitely consider the deal and rolling with a core of Mike/Marc/Love, but this run is coming to a grinding halt and after we get out of our pick debt to Boston I'm hoping for a proper rebuild around our high end lottery pick.

Yep, good position to take. Both sides have inherent risks. 

23 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

No because if that trade would be accepted. The Grizzlies would not have a 1st round pick in 2018 and 2019.

The 2019 pick would likely be a very late 1st and pretty inconsequential in consequence. Also we now (Ennis trade) have a total of 4 2nds coming in the next two years.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, tennesseessio said:

The 2019 pick would likely be a very late 1st and pretty inconsequential in consequence. Also we now (Ennis trade) have a total of 4 2nds coming in the next two years.

2nd round picks don't mean s**t in this league

On 2/16/2018 at 8:24 PM, GoGrizz! said:

They usually don't transform teams, but they provide the bottom 9 guys on each roster, and you need those guys. 

A few of them become top-8 guys, and a fair number of them flame out and end up in China or Berserkistan, but still.  

On 2/16/2018 at 10:24 PM, GoGrizz! said:

Michael Redd, Draymond Green, Dennis Rodman, DeAndre Jordan, Mark Price, Gilbert Arenas, Paul Millsap, Manu Ginobili, Isaiah Thomas...

I don't think I agree with your position. 

So now that we have almost all the information...

I would do these trades:

Parsons, #4 (Bagley), Martin - for - Love, #8 (Bridges 1{my personal choice}) 

or:

Parsons, #4 (if Bagley isn't available {likely}), Martin,   - for -  Love, future 2nd

or:

Parsons, #4 (Porter), Martin, #32  - for -  Love, Osman

- Ayton is the only prospect I wouldn't trade.

- I think Bagley is a likely all-star, but I would trade him for a current all-star and a lesser prospect.

- I see Porter ending up as our #4 if we don't trade it. I don't exactly know what to make of him, but his injury status worries me enough to trade him as proposed. His draft status will be decided by workouts and med reports. I can see some teams liking him enough to gamble on moving up if he checks out.

- Its possible that some teams would want to move up for Doncic if he falls to #4.