Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Scrub-maniacs vs Tank-aholics

Last night had to be quite the conundrum indeed. 

A nearly all scrub line-up and they actually won.  Obviously a "tall" order vs a NY team with 2 starters over 7-feet tall.

So, here is the dilemma...  some want more scrubs for more minutes... some want to tank so we don't have to play young inexperienced free agent and 2nd round pick "G" types.

Is scrub-mania compatible with  tank-aholism?  And did last night officially put them at odds with each other?

Even scrubs can wins. Game now and then, especially when the opponent isn’t prepared for the lineup changes and doesn’t have insight into what to expect. The difference between a real NBA contributor and a scrub isn’t that great. 

Last night the Grizzlies played differently than the Knicks were prepared for, hit shots they usually miss and squeaked out a win against a team playing on a 7 game road trip. Let’s not make this out to be more than it is.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Even scrubs can wins. Game now and then, especially when the opponent isn’t prepared for the lineup changes and doesn’t have insight into what to expect. The difference between a real NBA contributor and a scrub isn’t that great. 

Last night the Grizzlies played differently than the Knicks were prepared for, hit shots they usually miss and squeaked out a win against a team playing on a 7 game road trip. Let’s not make this out to be more than it is.

Tell that to the "we're better off without Gasol" crowd who has been doing a non-stop end zone dance for the last 10 hours.

Just now, bhoyal said:

Tell that to the "we're better off without Gasol" crowd who has been doing a non-stop end zone dance for the last 10 hours.

People on the board jump at every chance to degrade players on this team. Wait until teams adjust before making too many broad statements is my advice. 

To clarify again, I only think Gasol is a negative when the offense runs exclusively through him. I think he would be more efficient and the team would be more effective if he was just used as "another guy" in the same offense that we saw last night and there were equal opportunities. Instead of constantly force feeding him touches and having him as the center of their predictable pick n pop/handoff plays everytime.

I dont think the team will win many games with or without him because they have no one when the pressure turns up to stop bleeding. As we saw last night when the Knicks turned it on they folded. They only hung on this time because of the size of their lead.

36 minutes ago, Dwash said:

To clarify again, I only think Gasol is a negative when the offense runs exclusively through him. I think he would be more efficient and the team would be more effective if he was just used as "another guy" in the same offense that we saw last night and there were equal opportunities. Instead of constantly force feeding him touches and having him as the center of their predictable pick n pop/handoff plays everytime.

I dont think the team will win many games with or without him because they have no one when the pressure turns up to stop bleeding. As we saw last night when the Knicks turned it on they folded. They only hung on this time because of the size of their lead.

I understand your position but any player in today's game where the offense runs exclusively through him without any realistic alternatives is going to be a negative to a team. That also isn't the way Gasol wants to play unlike some other more popular current players on the boards. Gasol wants to play the right way but he's been on a team that doesn't play right. Perhaps his missing some games will allow or convince these players to take a step forward and become more active offensively. 

49 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I understand your position but any player in today's game where the offense runs exclusively through him without any realistic alternatives is going to be a negative to a team. That also isn't the way Gasol wants to play unlike some other more popular current players on the boards. Gasol wants to play the right way but he's been on a team that doesn't play right. Perhaps his missing some games will allow or convince these players to take a step forward and become more active offensively. 

I dont think "any" player will stink if the offense is run through them on a bad team. There are guys on bad teams who are efficient.

Dont run it through him exclusively then. That was the debate. Gasol huggers said "if he doesnt get the ball who will?" As if an offense has to have one or two players dominating every possession. I always believed that if you let the others touch it collectively and swing side to side instead of just circuling Gasol they would produce more. They had actually been running through him less in the last 8 games (since his poor 4-16 showing in Phoenix with crucial turnovers) before last night as Gasols touches have decreased. The team scored 100+ in 7 of those 8 games and the only time they didnt reach 100 in those 8 games was against Denver where he shot 19 times. You have seen more side to side movement and more guys involved. I know shot attempts and touches arent always synonymous but I find it interesting that the offense just seems to be better without him involved in every play.

30 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont think "any" player will stink if the offense is run through them on a bad team. There are guys on bad teams who are efficient.

Dont run it through him exclusively then. That was the debate. Gasol huggers said "if he doesnt get the ball who will?" As if an offense has to have one or two players dominating every possession. I always believed that if you let the others touch it collectively and swing side to side instead of just circuling Gasol they would produce more. They had actually been running through him less in the last 8 games (since his poor 4-16 showing in Phoenix with crucial turnovers) before last night as Gasols touches have decreased. The team scored 100+ in 7 of those 8 games and the only time they didnt reach 100 in those 8 games was against Denver where he shot 19 times. You have seen more side to side movement and more guys involved. I know shot attempts and touches arent always synonymous but I find it interesting that the offense just seems to be better without him involved in every play.

I think you have it wrong.

Honestly, I think gasol's critics were once zbo's critics. Yall just moved from: force-feeding zbo, to now, force-feeding gasol narrative.

Ultimately any offense is meant to create space and action and easy buckets for the team. Marc commands double teams so it is easy to create space with the ball in his hands.

If Marc is playing bad, I also contend that Fizdale should be to blame, since he built an offense that clearly did not include Marc in it. Marc is suffering what Aldridge has been suffering with. Both Marc and Aldridge aren't good enough to be like Tim Duncan was, so pop and probably fizdale respected the system more than those players.

The point is that you really can't have it both ways. Tim, in his later years, accepted this role and thrived in it, but he was much older than gasol and Aldridge were when he was asked to do it. So.

I still believe that there can and should be a happy medium, I just don't know what it is at the moment without Mike. 

6 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Wasn't there a point in time last year or the year before where Gasol and  bunch of scrubs won quite a few games in a month?

For some reason that sounds familiar to me.

1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Wasn't there a point in time last year or the year before where Gasol and  bunch of scrubs won quite a few games in a month?

For some reason that sounds familiar to me.

the good old days- Gasol + 4 fresh bodies vs the world

See the source image