Sign in to follow this  
TimBC

Why are we even trying?

The Warriors are playing the 29-11 Raptors. 

At halftime Curry has six points. 

His team has 81. 
At the half. 
More than the Griz scored last night in the whole game.

Not sure we need to have playoffs this year. 
Very sure we don't want the 8 seed in the west. 

We should be all-out tanking this year and anyone in the front office who believes otherwise should be punted the **** out.

Memphis front office knows this season is over, they CAN,T say tanking without being fine or losing DRAFT PICKS

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The warriors being so good isn't helping trade players.

Teams aren't just a player away.

True. Especially with the Cavs imploding. 

Yet after all that, the Raptors were one missed 3 away from taking it to overtime. 

I feel like the Raptors are the type of team that would look for a trade deadline deal, either for Tyreke or Wright or both.

I know Lowry and Derozen make Tyreke unnecessary for end of the game, but they could use a guard that takes the pressure of those two especially when they shoot horribly like in playoff past.

Maybe a #1 and the center Noguiera, who's contact expires.

The team is trying because they are professionals. They get paid to give their best every night. It may be just a lost season to some fans but to the players it is their career. It is a statement of who they are as a person.

I support these guys 100%. It may not be enough on most nights but they represent our city and I want them to give the fans their best every night regardless of the outcome. 

I've been hit or miss on the boards (something about time getting sucked up by adding three kids over the past 8 years, LOL) lately, but I agree with Chip; it likely is a "lost season" but being the type of market that we have, the value I personally have placed on the team has never been "championship or bust."  I think it was Barkley who said something like in order to win a championship, you have to be good an lucky (because of injuries).  We've had very good teams, teams that have even outperformed their expectations, but our luck has been hit or miss (G-state to 6 games with Conley in a facemask, ZBo getting suspended for Game 7 vs. OKC).  I still remember how it felt when both Vancouver and Charlotte applied to move here at the same time.  Things aren't that great feeling now, but I think somehow it will turn around sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

The team is trying because they are professionals. They get paid to give their best every night. It may be just a lost season to some fans but to the players it is their career. It is a statement of who they are as a person.

I support these guys 100%. It may not be enough on most nights but they represent our city and I want them to give the fans their best every night regardless of the outcome. 

Agree. That's why we have to be OK with them getting some wins. The same is true for the other bottom-dwellers, so it should work out.

Watching the Raptors recently, they are really good this season, they're real close to Cleveland and Boston. 

I wonder if they would give up some combination of Poetl/Jonas Val/Delon Wright for Marc Gasol if they think he's that one small boost they need to win the Eastern Conference. Would they beat the Warriors, no, but for a franchise that has never made the Finals before they might go for it. 

Masai is a great gm tho so he would fleece the monkeys we have in the Fo. 

15 hours ago, lions said:

Memphis front office knows this season is over, they CAN,T say tanking without being fine or losing DRAFT PICKS

Yep...

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

and yep.

I doubt if there is a player in this years' draft the will elevate the Grizz into the upper echelon in the NBA, however just tanking might p*ss the fans off enough that they stop going to see them play and this could cost Memphis the Grizzlies. Owners don't buy teams to lose money on, after all it is a business to them.

17 hours ago, Thomas said:

We should be all-out tanking this year and anyone in the front office who believes otherwise should be punted the **** out.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2017/12/17/memphis-grizzlies-gm-chris-wallace-season-isnt-lost/958035001/

Chris Wallace: "We're very much committed to what we have here, which is for Marc and Mike to be the leaders of the team. We think they’re both good enough to take a team deep in the playoffs. They still have plenty of tread left on their NBA tires... Our enthusiasm for them and to build around them as leaders hasn’t changed at all. We still believe deeply in both of them and what they can do for a team in all facets."

"I’ve presided over the best run in the history of this franchise. That window was still very much open at the beginning of the year. I don’t see what’s changed. We've got a roster that when we're healthy and everything is clicking we’re athletic, more versatile and more talented on the perimeter than we’ve been in years. I don’t see how you say that our time has passed as a team or my time has passed as a lead basketball executive."

4 hours ago, Memfizz said:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2017/12/17/memphis-grizzlies-gm-chris-wallace-season-isnt-lost/958035001/

Chris Wallace: "We're very much committed to what we have here, which is for Marc and Mike to be the leaders of the team. We think they’re both good enough to take a team deep in the playoffs. They still have plenty of tread left on their NBA tires... Our enthusiasm for them and to build around them as leaders hasn’t changed at all. We still believe deeply in both of them and what they can do for a team in all facets."

"I’ve presided over the best run in the history of this franchise. That window was still very much open at the beginning of the year. I don’t see what’s changed. We've got a roster that when we're healthy and everything is clicking we’re athletic, more versatile and more talented on the perimeter than we’ve been in years. I don’t see how you say that our time has passed as a team or my time has passed as a lead basketball executive."

See the source image

Besides the dominance of the Warriors, the other thing that hurts more mid-season trades being done is LeBron's non-committal to the Cavs.

I'm not saying he has any obligation to tell them he's committed to staying with them in the future, but since they don't know what he's going to do, they aren't dealing that Nets pick. That's one less draft pick to trade for.

This will be the greatest draft since 09 and could be better. If there was ever a season to stink, this one is it! The timing for the Griz could be perfect here. Imagine a 2018-19 season with a healthy Conley, top flight rookie, Gasol, etc. (I almost typed healthy Parsons but that’s like believing in talking unicorns that poop rainbows). 

It’s not crazy to think we could be back in the playoff picture next year if we play our cards right. Not likely, but certainly a reasonable chance

1 hour ago, Back2Grizzness said:

This will be the greatest draft since 09 and could be better. If there was ever a season to stink, this one is it! The timing for the Griz could be perfect here. Imagine a 2018-19 season with a healthy Conley, top flight rookie, Gasol, etc. (I almost typed healthy Parsons but that’s like believing in talking unicorns that poop rainbows). 

It’s not crazy to think we could be back in the playoff picture next year if we play our cards right. Not likely, but certainly a reasonable chance

You lost me at healthy Conley and a top flight rookie drafted by Wallace