oldmanGrizz

Who Could Be Traded?

26 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

At 3.2 mil Tyreke simply isn't going to bring anything back, he is the biggest bargin in the NBA right now. I would try and get a contender who wants him to trade an expiring for him and Ben Mc.

What does that do for the team? McLemore's contract is only for one more year at $5.46 million. Even shedding that salary won't get you below the salary cap once the various cap holds for roster spots and draft picks are factored in. Even without factoring in roster cap holds and draft cap holds, we would still have roughly $96 million in contracts. The cap is projected to be around $101 million. If we were $5 million below the cap, that is worse than being over the cap. If we are over the cap, we get to spend the MLE (around $8m). Can't spend the MLE if you are under the cap. So all moving McLemore's contract would do is put us further below the luxury tax line, which we aren't in danger of anyways. I'd much rather keep McLemore and see if his expiring contract next year has value.

2 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Right, go down the line of eastern conference contenders. This isn't a fire sale, it's an auction. Find the highest bidder, wait until the offers stop at a value point, pull the trigger.

Pistons at 9 just showed how hungry they are to win now.

Maximizing the first round pick is more important than getting max value for Tyreke. Trade Tyreke today

27 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Maximizing the first round pick is more important than getting max value for Tyreke. Trade Tyreke today

I think there is a fine middle ground where both can be accomplished.

Once Tyreke is traded, they can play G-League guys for the rest of year, reduce minutes, change rotations.

Plenty of time to lose, lose, lose.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:02 AM, The Stro Show said:

Stanley Johnson for Reke? 

Stanley Johnson with a huge game last night against Lebron. Some Piston fans say that he just needs minutes and to not be pigeonholed into a spot shooter. Said to have a good motor in college. You take chances on guys like this.

18 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

What does that do for the team? McLemore's contract is only for one more year at $5.46 million. Even shedding that salary won't get you below the salary cap once the various cap holds for roster spots and draft picks are factored in. Even without factoring in roster cap holds and draft cap holds, we would still have roughly $96 million in contracts. The cap is projected to be around $101 million. If we were $5 million below the cap, that is worse than being over the cap. If we are over the cap, we get to spend the MLE (around $8m). Can't spend the MLE if you are under the cap. So all moving McLemore's contract would do is put us further below the luxury tax line, which we aren't in danger of anyways. I'd much rather keep McLemore and see if his expiring contract next year has value.

That’s okay too, I was thinking Ben, B Wright, Ennis, all off the books next year. Hopefully a healthy Mike, Marc, maybe Parsons, (I know, you don’t have to say it) a high draft pick, Brooks, Rabb, Seldon, etc. use the approximate 21 mil coming off the books between those guys above, plus Mario and Baldwin, go sign a good player or two, he’ll even Tyreke.

just my thought 

maybe we could trade bennie mac back to that vacant gym he was shooting ball in when cwallace signed him.

...and we handed him $5.46 per...can not even get off of this bench.

chris, wanna get away??? 

slim.

24 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

maybe we could trade bennie mac back to that vacant gym he was shooting ball in when cwallace signed him.

...and we handed him $5.46 per...can not even get off of this bench.

chris, wanna get away??? 

slim.

They don't want him! :lol:

And when was the last time Pera or Wallace actually attended a game anyway? 

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

Stanley Johnson with a huge game last night against Lebron. Some Piston fans say that he just needs minutes and to not be pigeonholed into a spot shooter. Said to have a good motor in college. You take chances on guys like this.

Yep right now he would be a great fit for our team going forward.   Johnson and Brooks manning the SF spot for the future would be a nice tandem. 

Trade Marc and Tyreke to Cleveland for Shumpert and Thompson

Trade Ennis, Mclemore, and Wright to Sac for Randolph and Skal

Play the rest of the season with G League talent...Get a Top 5 pick in the draft, retool and get a SG.

Target Luca Doncic, get Jevon Carter and Devonte Graham in the second round

Then rotate Rabb, Davis, Selden, and Graham in G league...move up whoever is playing the best for the 13th spot. Or trade/ waive one of them. Trade Martin. Let Harrison walk

Conley/ Carter/ Graham

Doncic/ Shumpert/ Selden

Parsons/ Brooks/ Shumpert

Green/Randolph/ Skal/ Rabb

Thompson/Skal/ Davis

BRING BACK ZBO

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

yeah I loved how aggressive he was being last night. reminded me of a prime Corey Brewer

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

yeah I watched that game too. His numbers throughout the season have been ok but needs more PT. I'd be making a call to SVG to see if they are interested in a straight up trade for Reke

It looks like Reke is very probably going to be traded so this post may be moot very soon, but I wanted to address a few scenarios (mostly involving a Marc trade) that are based at least in part in the idea of clearing cap space to re-sign him. I'm sorry but that's almost impossible as long as we have Parsons and Mike (who I hope you'll agree are essentially untradeable right now) in the books.

Assuming we don't trade anybody, our total salary at the end of the season will be $103.4M, which includes $2.4M of non-guaranteed salary (Harrison and Selden will both earn $1.5M non guaranteed, but Selden has a partial guarantee of $773k). On top of that we have the following cap holds:

- Brandan Wright: $11.3M

- James Ennis: $3.4M

- Tyreke Evans: $3.9M

- Mario Chalmers: $1.5M

Since the 2018 salary cap is projected to be $101M, that means even if we cut Harrison and Selden and renounce all our free agents (in Reke's case is irrelevant since his non-Bird rights allow us to pay him less than the MLE) we'll be over the cap at $101.4M. Now let's say we somehow trade Marc away without getting any salary back (wildly unrealistic but bear with me). That's $24.1M off the books, leaving us at $77.3M or $23.7M under the cap, well short of the estimated max salary for an 8 year veteran like Tyreke ($30.3M).

Now, as someone mentioned elsewhere, going under the cap means we lose the non-taxpayer MLE (teams can choose to keep the MLE if doing so would put them over the cap, but that's not the case here) and gain the room MLE instead ($5.7M in 2018).

But now we have to account for the exceptions' cap holds:

- Room MLE: $5.7M

- Our own first round pick exception, let's say at #5: $4.4M (if we landed the #1 it'd be $6.8M)

That's $10.1M off our cap space, leaving us with $13.7M to try and re-sign Tyreke, plus the room exception and minimum contracts to replace Marc, Wright, Ennis, Chalmers, Harrison and Selden. So not exactly a great scenario.

And this is all a very unrealistic scenario anyway. We probably won't cut Selden, we'd probably get (a lot of) salary back from a potential Marc trade, if we get a 1st round pick in a trade we'd have to count its own cap hold as well...

So this is a very long winded way of saying that unless some magic fairy GM comes and takes away Parsons' contract, there is no realistic scenario where we can make enough cap space to be able to offer Reke more than the MLE, and even the most unrealistic scenarios leave us with just a few more millions to offer him.

So if you want to trade Marc, do it for young players and picks and a complete rebuild, but don't do it with the expectation that it will help to get Reke back next season.

42 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

It looks like Reke is very probably going to be traded so this post may be moot very soon, but I wanted to address a few scenarios (mostly involving a Marc trade) that are based at least in part in the idea of clearing cap space to re-sign him. I'm sorry but that's almost impossible as long as we have Parsons and Mike (who I hope you'll agree are essentially untradeable right now) in the books.

Assuming we don't trade anybody, our total salary at the end of the season will be $103.4M, which includes $2.4M of non-guaranteed salary (Harrison and Selden will both earn $1.5M non guaranteed, but Selden has a partial guarantee of $773k). On top of that we have the following cap holds:

- Brandan Wright: $11.3M

- James Ennis: $3.4M

- Tyreke Evans: $3.9M

- Mario Chalmers: $1.5M

Since the 2018 salary cap is projected to be $101M, that means even if we cut Harrison and Selden and renounce all our free agents (in Reke's case is irrelevant since his non-Bird rights allow us to pay him less than the MLE) we'll be over the cap at $101.4M. Now let's say we somehow trade Marc away without getting any salary back (wildly unrealistic but bear with me). That's $24.1M off the books, leaving us at $77.3M or $23.7M under the cap, well short of the estimated max salary for an 8 year veteran like Tyreke ($30.3M).

Now, as someone mentioned elsewhere, going under the cap means we lose the non-taxpayer MLE (teams can choose to keep the MLE if doing so would put them over the cap, but that's not the case here) and gain the room MLE instead ($5.7M in 2018).

But now we have to account for the exceptions' cap holds:

- Room MLE: $5.7M

- Our own first round pick exception, let's say at #5: $4.4M (if we landed the #1 it'd be $6.8M)

That's $10.1M off our cap space, leaving us with $13.7M to try and re-sign Tyreke, plus the room exception and minimum contracts to replace Marc, Wright, Ennis, Chalmers, Harrison and Selden. So not exactly a great scenario.

And this is all a very unrealistic scenario anyway. We probably won't cut Selden, we'd probably get (a lot of) salary back from a potential Marc trade, if we get a 1st round pick in a trade we'd have to count its own cap hold as well...

So this is a very long winded way of saying that unless some magic fairy GM comes and takes away Parsons' contract, there is no realistic scenario where we can make enough cap space to be able to offer Reke more than the MLE, and even the most unrealistic scenarios leave us with just a few more millions to offer him.

So if you want to trade Marc, do it for young players and picks and a complete rebuild, but don't do it with the expectation that it will help to get Reke back next season.

Thats where I have been at. Reke has been great but he is almost 30 and isnt anymore part of the future than Gasol or Conley is. Moving Gasol to clear room for Reke is not only extremely difficult financially, it doesnt guarantee a ton of success.

Tying up mad dollars in good but not great players is what got us here in the first place. Offer Reke the MLE if you must and move on. Its all most of the other teams can offer anyway as so many are capped out.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I agree 100% with you on this. Also if you take a look at the salaries and years left on players we are in a great position to make a complete rebuild happen.  Starting in the 2020/2021 season we have one guy on our books. Mike Conley at $34.5M. We trade Gasol now for a good draft pick, and some young players.  We would have to take on some cap space but limit that to an expiring contract guy. We can make a rebuild happen but its looking like in order to do that we are tanking the next couple years. Which may not be a bad idea with the talent that is coming up the next few years. It's all about the future at this point.

The front office of this franchise wants to continue to make the playoffs. That's what ultimately keeps a decent crowd, and keeps the team profitable and in Memphis. They are not in it for a full rebuild looking for a championship.

39 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

I agree 100% with you on this. Also if you take a look at the salaries and years left on players we are in a great position to make a complete rebuild happen.  Starting in the 2020/2021 season we have one guy on our books. Mike Conley at $34.5M. We trade Gasol now for a good draft pick, and some young players.  We would have to take on some cap space but limit that to an expiring contract guy. We can make a rebuild happen but its looking like in order to do that we are tanking the next couple years. Which may not be a bad idea with the talent that is coming up the next few years. It's all about the future at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not pushing to dump Marc for picks and flotsam. I see a lot more value now in his future expiring contract now that he's embracing the mentor role. IF you get the right offer of course you trade him, but trading him now just to lay the ground for two more seasons of tanking is pointless IMHO. That way lies Sacramento.

In fact, given that we will lose our pick next year we might as well try a push for the playoffs and give our rookie(s) an experience that may prove invaluable later on.

17 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not pushing to dump Marc for picks and flotsam. I see a lot more value now in his future expiring contract now that he's embracing the mentor role. IF you get the right offer of course you trade him, but trading him now just to lay the ground for two more seasons of tanking is pointless IMHO. That way lies Sacramento.

In fact, given that we will lose our pick next year we might as well try a push for the playoffs and give our rookie(s) an experience that may prove invaluable later on.

I understand that...I mean we can still rebuild with Marc and Conley.  Got to figure a way to dump Parsons tho.