Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Mike Conley interview for The Undefeated

Not a super in-depth piece, but he does discuss Fizdale, Gasol, Bickerstaff and the MLK Jr. game.

Mike Conley talks Fizdale and injury

Did you and Gasol ever have a conversation about Fizdale’s firing?

We talked. I think Marc’s intentions are solely about the team. He didn’t want any of this to happen. I didn’t think so. It was also frustrating for all of us. It was tough for Marc, myself and probably the older guys on the team who have built this foundation, to see the state that we are in.

59 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

... It was tough for Marc, myself and probably the older guys on the team who have built this foundation, to see the state that we are in.

Kinda tough for the fans too. 

9 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Kinda tough for the fans too. 

I don't think these guys really care about that. All they want is money and a championship ring.

Zbo and TA go no where without Marc and Mike and Mike and Marc goes no where without Zbo and TA. It took all four of them

22 hours ago, scooter said:

I don't think these guys really care about that. All they want is money and a championship ring.

All they want is money, if they want is a championship ring, would've gone somewhere else.

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Foundation was built by ZBo, TA and Hollins.

Gotta include Conley and Gasol. Give me a break.

Edit: I don't even know why I bother arguing it anymore. I'm so sick of talking about the past. We suck now. I hope we trade Gasol for prospects and get a good draft pick this year.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Zbo and TA go no where without Marc and Mike and Mike and Marc goes no where without Zbo and TA. I took all four of them

This, so much. I hate seeing people make this about a subset of them on either side. Hell, Hollins too. As a collective, these dudes have us the GNG era.

I'm thankful for each of their involvement. They formed the foundation of something that was beautiful, special, unforgettable, for many of us.

For many reasons it never should have been. For many reasons it should have been better. For all of these reasons and more, it captivated us. 

And now it's time to build again. Something new. Something exciting. Something that will reach many of us and many others, in many different ways. That's what this game is all about.

6 hours ago, Acehigh718 said:

This, so much. I hate seeing people make this about a subset of them on either side. Hell, Hollins too. As a collective, these dudes have us the GNG era.

I'm thankful for each of their involvement. They formed the foundation of something that was beautiful, special, unforgettable, for many of us.

For many reasons it never should have been. For many reasons it should have been better. For all of these reasons and more, it captivated us. 

And now it's time to build again. Something new. Something exciting. Something that will reach many of us and many others, in many different ways. That's what this game is all about.

Cosign you here.   I still think Mike is the guy that can bridge the gap to next era.  Based on his attitude just as much as his skill.   

On 7/1/2018 at 10:18 AM, Allen said:

Zbo and TA go no where without Marc and Mike and Mike and Marc goes no where without Zbo and TA. It took all four of them

very true

Like the Beatles

They each had individuals highlights and successes but not like when it was the four of them together. The Grizzmore 4 are the same

IMO, Mike Conley is never going to be scoring effective going to the rim in the future. This heel injury has been flaring up for the last two years. He can set up the offense but this type of injury will continue to strongly limit his mobility.

1 hour ago, scooter said:

IMO, Mike Conley is never going to be scoring effective going to the rim in the future. This heel injury has been flaring up for the last two years. He can set up the offense but this type of injury will continue to strongly limit his mobility.

All the more reason to sit him and Parsons for the majority of the year.

We're 2 games from the halfway point of the season.  It would help if the Pelicans and other teams in that 7-9 range would play a little better and create some distance between the Grizzlies and playoff hopes.

2 hours ago, scooter said:

Incorrect.  It did not flare up last year.

22 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Incorrect.  It did not flare up last year.

Whatever. It's a serious problem now.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, Allen said:

Co-sign! 

On 1/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, BigHunkALove said:

very true

Like the Beatles

They each had individuals highlights and successes but not like when it was the four of them together. The Grizzmore 4 are the same

they remind me of Chauncy, Rip, Tayshaun and Ben.    Those guys were never as successful without each other. 

Mike Conley was the only one i could see out of our quartet that could be somewhat successful(in major role) without the other 3. (Maybe Gasol on the Spurs too)  Unfortunately, for him he wasted too many of his prime years for that to be the case going forward. 

On 1/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, Allen said:

BS.  Zbo and TA are going to play hard regardless of Mike and Marc.  Heck TA won a championship in Boston.  Mike is going to fit in anywhere and be solid to very good.

2 hours ago, Memfizz said:

BS.  Zbo and TA are going to play hard regardless of Mike and Marc.  Heck TA won a championship in Boston.  Mike is going to fit in anywhere and be solid to very good.

Grit n Grind is a thing because it was the most successful run in franchise history. It would be nothing if weren't in the playoffs consistently. We don't make the playoffs without Gasol, therefore Grit n Grind is nothing without him. Take that for data.