Kevin B Moses

KBM's draft thoughts and opinions

24 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Trae Young is something else to watch.

Darn right.  The number of guards coming up who can play is amazing.

I am not seeing Trae Youngs assists translating to the league. I see a lot of passes to guys who just dunk the ball in and its just not going down in the league like that. The great passers have to be able to make tougher reads than that.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I am not seeing Trae Youngs assists translating to the league. I see a lot of passes to guys who just dunk the ball in and its just not going down in the league like that. The great passers have to be able to make tougher reads than that.

The great passers make it easier for the person receiving the ball. He has elite court vision

Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Doncic, Jackson, Porter, Sexton, Young. Any of those guys could turn out to be a big big time player. That's why we need to stay around that 4-6 pick range n there'll be options there that can make an impact right away.

Add another solid 2nd rounder from this years draft, Brooks, Davis, Rabb, Selden, Simmons, possibly Harrison, doubtfully Martin and Zagorac. That is a decent group of youth to work with. 

But we need to hit a homerun in this draft, it's a must.

On January 5th, my Grizz board looks like this:

1. DeAndre Ayton - Just a crazy combination of size, athleticism and skill.  No brainer #1 pick even in the "new" NBA.

2. Marvin Bagley - Another player with good length, athleticism and skill.  Plays hard all the time.

3. Trae Young - I would take him #1 for the entertainment/ticket selling factor.  Reminds me of the PG version of James Harden.

4. Michael Porter - Based on pedigree...

5. Mo Bamba - Will be a game changer defensively.

6. Luka Doncic - I admit I still need to watch games on him.  He might not be a good highlight guy and have watched full games of everyone else.

7. Miles Bridges - If the team is committed to playing him at PF his stock rises.

8. Mikal Bridges - Big athletic wing with more room to expand his game.

9. Collin Sexton - Scoring PG.  Not much of a distributor.  SG in PG body?

On 1/4/2018 at 8:58 AM, lsugrizzfan said:

So you don't care about the results, just whether people were happy at the time? OK. 

Of course I care about the results.  I just don't feel that it's necessary to try to place blame on someone for simply doing the same thing that everyone thought was the right thing.  That would be pointless.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, MemphisX said:

On January 5th, my Grizz board looks like this:

1. DeAndre Ayton - Just a crazy combination of size, athleticism and skill.  No brainer #1 pick even in the "new" NBA.

2. Marvin Bagley - Another player with good length, athleticism and skill.  Plays hard all the time.

3. Trae Young - I would take him #1 for the entertainment/ticket selling factor.  Reminds me of the PG version of James Harden.

4. Michael Porter - Based on pedigree...

5. Mo Bamba - Will be a game changer defensively.

6. Luka Doncic - I admit I still need to watch games on him.  He might not be a good highlight guy and have watched full games of everyone else.

7. Miles Bridges - If the team is committed to playing him at PF his stock rises.

8. Mikal Bridges - Big athletic wing with more room to expand his game.

9. Collin Sexton - Scoring PG.  Not much of a distributor.  SG in PG body?

After a week of watching more players this has changed....

1. DeAndre Ayton - Still has the highest ceiling but scares me.  Reminds me of David Robinson.  The good and the bad.

2. Marvin Bagley - great motor, great athlete.  However, he doesn't seem to get clear on his scores.  What he is doing in college won't work in the pros.  Not sure he has the skill to adjust to better athletes.

3. Luka Doncic - 6'8 PG. He is just fantastic in pick and rolls. Still not sure about his athleticism but his size/skill combo is very good.

4. Michael Porter - Lowest I will put him until I hear his injury will linger.

5. Jaren Jackson - Honestly, he surprised me and since KBM likes him, I wanted to hate him.  I think he will be a crazy good stretch 5 who can anchor a defense.  But will start his career as a PF.

6. Trae Young - Has troubles finishing at the rim.  That is a concern.  Size an issue also.

7. Mo Bamba - Not quite as good as Jackson defensively and not even close offensively.  Still like him though.

8. Miles Bridges - Baby Barkley or next Paul Millsap. 

9. Collin Sexton - There is a place for him in the NBA.  Has to flesh out his game though.

10. Mikal Bridges - 3 and D guy.  Maybe more.  Wouldn't bet on it though.

Not really worried about where we finish in the lottery now.  Just don't want Wallace here making the pick.  Really hope Porter is healthy enough to work out for teams. 

4 hours ago, MemphisX said:

1. DeAndre Ayton - Still has the highest ceiling but scares me.  Reminds me of David Robinson.  The good and the bad.

2. Marvin Bagley - great motor, great athlete.  However, he doesn't seem to get clear on his scores.  What he is doing in college won't work in the pros.  Not sure he has the skill to adjust to better athletes.

3. Luka Doncic - 6'8 PG. He is just fantastic in pick and rolls. Still not sure about his athleticism but his size/skill combo is very good.

5. Jaren Jackson - Honestly, he surprised me and since KBM likes him, I wanted to hate him.  I think he will be a crazy good stretch 5 who can anchor a defense.  But will start his career as a PF.

6. Trae Young - Has troubles finishing at the rim.  That is a concern.  Size an issue also.

7. Mo Bamba - Not quite as good as Jackson defensively and not even close offensively.  Still like him though.

9. Collin Sexton - There is a place for him in the NBA.  Has to flesh out his game though.

Not really worried about where we finish in the lottery now.  Just don't want Wallace here making the pick.  Really hope Porter is healthy enough to work out for teams. 

I like these assessments except for Trae who is even lower for me. IDGAF about his stats, half that stuff he does just isnt transferrable against bigger/better athletes.

5 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Just about every player on this board has some questions which you've highlighted which has mostly to do with their transition to the nba. That's why I favor the athletes in the draft. Ayton would be fantastic if he had a little bit of Zo Mourning in him. Honestly, the brow would be too. The thing that set Shaq and Zo apart from the rest of the centers was their mean streak. David's biggest knock was that he was too nice, which anyon seems like that kind of player too.

Bagley's entire transition to the nba and his warrant at the top of draft boards is if he can become a mismatch nightmare like KD, which is a tall order. I don't see that in him but I could be wrong.

Porter has injury concerns.

Luka looks really slow, and while it didn't bother Marc, since he is a center and doesn't need to be chasing speedy guards around the court, trying to run a modern uptempo offense will be a challenge for him.

Trae Young doesn't have an elite skill other than "alpha" that I can see.

Can Jackson become more than just an elite defender, can he become at least Serge Ibaka, if not better.

Bamba doesn't hava an offensive game at all.

Of all the guys on this list, the guy with the best combo of everything, and a guy that is getting better is Miles Bridges. I really really like Jackson, but I do have to admit that his scoring potential is a question mark. With Bridges I pretty much like everything about him as a player. 

The thing that worries me about Jackson is his rebounding and his lack of a post game, makes me think he'll max out as a role player.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:32 PM, Allen said:

The great passers make it easier for the person receiving the ball. He has elite court vision

Check out Amare' Stoudamire's career after he stopped getting near-magical feeds from Steve Nash. 

11 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Yep i can roll with this list too.     I think we will be fine as long as we can get a Top 5 pick.  All of those guys have potential to be real foundation players for this franchise going forward. 

Bamba and Porter better not be in anyone’s top 10. 

You do realize that the kid is getting a disc removed right? I don’t give a flying crap about his pedigree. You think parsons was a bad signing? Just wait until whoever picks him watches him run out of the league in 4 seasons. 

10 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Bamba and Porter better not be in anyone’s top 10. 

You do realize that the kid is getting a disc removed right? I don’t give a flying crap about his pedigree. You think parsons was a bad signing? Just wait until whoever picks him watches him run out of the league in 4 seasons. 

Porter is likely playing in a few weeks.  I'd trust the doctors. 

4 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Porter is likely playing in a few weeks.  I'd trust the doctors. 

The same doctors that told me my back would be fine. I’m still able to play ball. But it gives me fits sometimes. I’m 27. I can’t play long minutes like he will be required to in the NBA. 

do You know what happens over a period of time when you have a disc removed?

On 1/4/2018 at 8:32 PM, Allen said:

True. I was skeptical at first.  But I've seen him make some passes that made me believe hes legit

Man Ayton looks like an action figure out on the court. Has all the skills. Seems like he should be drop stepping and dunking every time he gets the ball. I love the skillset but would like to see some "nasty" out of him. 

1 hour ago, tjazz22 said:

Man Ayton looks like an action figure out on the court. Has all the skills. Seems like he should be drop stepping and dunking every time he gets the ball. I love the skillset but would like to see some "nasty" out of him. 

Seems like he wants to be a stretch 4, which is such a waste.

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Seems like he wants to be a stretch 4, which is such a waste.

Yep. Is that what you meant about the David Robinson comps?

2 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Ayton is just another Marc Gasol.  I'll pass.

I'll take him

4 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Ayton is just another Marc Gasol.  I'll pass.

Whats wrong with being another Marc Gasol?

On 1/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, Memphis Maverick said:

Stats don’t matter in college 

His ability to get the stats does