Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

What do you think Tyreke's value is?

Recommended Posts

I believe the max MLE offer is 36m over the next 4 years.

Considering the cap position of most of the NBA, that's probably Evans' max offer.

Will the few teams who have cap space to go above the MLE need a player like Evans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I believe the max MLE offer is 36m over the next 4 years.

Considering the cap position of most of the NBA, that's probably Evans' max offer.

Will the few teams who have cap space to go above the MLE need a player like Evans?

If this FO still around come summer then i believe they will potentially stretch Parsons to make room to resign Tyreke.    Obviously shortsighted moves are the MO of this FO so don't be surprised if it goes down that way. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If this FO still around come summer then i believe they will potentially stretch Parsons to make room to resign Tyreke.    Obviously shortsighted moves are the MO of this FO so don't be surprised if it goes down that way. 

 

Unless the cap jumps significantly, with the salary of a first round pick, the 14 million or so saved by stretching Parsons wont be enough. Eg, If you are over the cap by 6 million and you stretch Parsons for 14 million, then that puts you right at 8 million of cap room which is MLE dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Unless the cap jumps significantly, with the salary of a first round pick, the 14 million or so saved by stretching Parsons wont be enough. Eg, If you are over the cap by 6 million and you stretch Parsons for 14 million, then that puts you right at 8 million of cap room which is MLE dollars.

okay gotcha , i should've skimmed Fanboy's threads before i posted :lol:

Edmistion mentioned an interesting wrinkle that Wallace didn't want to bring back ANY longterm salary; because that would jeopardize our ability to utilize the Full MLE next season.   I can only assume that their hope is to bring back Tyreke and their sole strategy was to trade him for a 1rst rd pick +expiring.   All or nothing proposition.    

Personally, i would have just taken Mudiay then figured out a way to move Rio and Wright to get back the ability to use the full MLE.   But maybe that still won't do that trick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

okay gotcha , i should've skimmed Fanboy's threads before i posted :lol:

Edmistion mentioned an interesting wrinkle that Wallace didn't want to bring back ANY longterm salary; because that would jeopardize our ability to utilize the Full MLE next season.   I can only assume that their hope is to bring back Tyreke and their sole strategy was to trade him for a 1rst rd pick +expiring.   All or nothing proposition.    

Personally, i would have just taken Mudiay then figured out a way to move Rio and Wright to get back the ability to use the full MLE.   But maybe that still won't do that trick. 

I think he is talking about luxury tax issues. The gap between the cap and the tax is like 14 million last year I think. So if you are 2 million over the cap and add a 5-6 million dollar first rounder, then now you are only 6 million from the tax. Not exact numbers but you get the idea. So Mudiay hurts that scenario even more and Rio/Wright are free agents so they dont matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dwash said:

I think he is talking about luxury tax issues. The gap between the cap and the tax is like 14 million last year I think. So again trying to simplify this, if you are 2 million over the cap and add a 5-6 million dollar first rounder, then now you are only 6 million from the tax. Not exact numbers but you get the idea. So Mudiay hurts that scenario even more and Rio/Wright are free agents so they dont matter.

I forgot about how much the Top 5 lottery picks cost since we've been stacking up on so many UFA and 2nd rounders.  LOL 

But on the flipside didn't DEN also offer an expiring and 2nd round picks too?     If James Ennis could get expiring and 2nd rdr then for darn sure Reke could've gotten the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I forgot about how much the Top 5 lottery picks cost since we've been stacking up on so many UFA and 2nd rounders.  LOL 

But on the flipside didn't DEN also offer an expiring and 2nd round picks too?     If James Ennis could get expiring and 2nd rdr then for darn sure Reke could've gotten the same. 

Yeah there was no reason not to get something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I forgot about how much the Top 5 lottery picks cost since we've been stacking up on so many UFA and 2nd rounders.  LOL 

But on the flipside didn't DEN also offer an expiring and 2nd round picks too?     If James Ennis could get expiring and 2nd rdr then for darn sure Reke could've gotten the same. 

This is my issue as well.

I'm fine with the thought of not wanting to take back salary for next year, but at least if you get back an expiring and 2 second rounders, you have no salary obligations for next year, and you have trade package stuffers with the picks.

If the Grizzlies buyout Tyreke, I'm going to be really perplexed. But more than likely, we keep him for the rest of the season to save face and sell the perception that we're looking to re-sign Tyreke this summer.

I really hope that I'm wrong. Even if Tyreke only adds 2 more wins the rest of the way, that's 2 wins that could mean the difference in 2nd or 5th worst record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

This is my issue as well.

I'm fine with the thought of not wanting to take back salary for next year, but at least if you get back an expiring and 2 second rounders, you have no salary obligations for next year, and you have trade package stuffers with the picks.

If the Grizzlies buyout Tyreke, I'm going to be really perplexed. But more than likely, we keep him for the rest of the season to save face and sell the perception that we're looking to re-sign Tyreke this summer.

I really hope that I'm wrong. Even if Tyreke only adds 2 more wins the rest of the way, that's 2 wins that could mean the difference in 2nd or 5th worst record.

Thats my real fear as well. Just because you couldnt get the first rounder that many here thought was somewhat unrealistic, you now decide to sabotage the tank plan in order to pretend like Tyreke is part of your future...a week after you just said he wasnt. Totally incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I forgot about how much the Top 5 lottery picks cost since we've been stacking up on so many UFA and 2nd rounders.  LOL 

But on the flipside didn't DEN also offer an expiring and 2nd round picks too?     If James Ennis could get expiring and 2nd rdr then for darn sure Reke could've gotten the same. 

I'd be hesitant to put absolute faith in what has been reportedly offered. Those rumors have a way of being very off base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Chris Herrington made an important point regarding Tyreke's future.

The Grizzlies and a lot of times can offer him the MLE this summer.  Those are all the same value, but what the Grizzlies can offer is a chance for him to get his "Early Bird" rights after another season with the Grizzlies.  With any other team, it would take 2 more years for "Early Bird" rights.  That gives the Grizzlies a slight advantage when comparing MLE (about $8.8 mm/year).

However, that probably won't help if a team like the Lakers or Philly or someone else offers him $10 million/year.

 

It could possibly explain why Tyreke was OK with sticking around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I believe the max MLE offer is 36m over the next 4 years.

Considering the cap position of most of the NBA, that's probably Evans' max offer.

Will the few teams who have cap space to go above the MLE need a player like Evans?

I don't think Reke will get anywhere near what most people on this board think. The big money offers will be small this upcoming off-season. A lot of people are pulling back. He'll be lucky to get in that $10 mil range imho. I highly doubt he will get a $15 mil + per year offer, the money is drying up. I wouldn't be surprised if he accepts the MLE to come back here mainly because it would be in a range that other teams are offering and familiarity. He's familiar with the city, with his teammates, with the organization, etc. I would think he's welcomed to go back to UM to do whatever he wants. If you have some team thats barely good offering $9-$11 mil per year and we offer a MLE in the $9 mil per range, it's not that much of a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I thought Chris Herrington made an important point regarding Tyreke's future.

The Grizzlies and a lot of times can offer him the MLE this summer.  Those are all the same value, but what the Grizzlies can offer is a chance for him to get his "Early Bird" rights after another season with the Grizzlies.  With any other team, it would take 2 more years for "Early Bird" rights.  That gives the Grizzlies a slight advantage when comparing MLE (about $8.8 mm/year).

However, that probably won't help if a team like the Lakers or Philly or someone else offers him $10 million/year.

 

It could possibly explain why Tyreke was OK with sticking around.

I remember mentioning that a while back. Offering Tyreke a two year MLE contract with a ETO or player option for the second year should do the trick. Gives Tyreke long term guaranteed money, the option to go for a higher salary if he explodes after year 1, and the Grizzlies the best options to re-sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I remember mentioning that a while back. Offering Tyreke a two year MLE contract with a ETO or player option for the second year should do the trick. Gives Tyreke long term guaranteed money, the option to go for a higher salary if he explodes after year 1, and the Grizzlies the best options to re-sign him.

But, although healthy this year, with his injury history he might want to secure as many years as possible for his next contract. Everything is so confusing right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elillo said:

But, although healthy this year, with his injury history he might want to secure as many years as possible for his next contract. Everything is so confusing right now.

This may be true, but it is unlikely he will be given a chance to sign a 4-year deal at the MLE or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I thought Chris Herrington made an important point regarding Tyreke's future.

The Grizzlies and a lot of times can offer him the MLE this summer.  Those are all the same value, but what the Grizzlies can offer is a chance for him to get his "Early Bird" rights after another season with the Grizzlies.  With any other team, it would take 2 more years for "Early Bird" rights.  That gives the Grizzlies a slight advantage when comparing MLE (about $8.8 mm/year).

However, that probably won't help if a team like the Lakers or Philly or someone else offers him $10 million/year.

 

It could possibly explain why Tyreke was OK with sticking around.

What worries me is Tyreke is OK with sticking around because he feels he'll have a green light to do whatever he needs to do to showcase his talents for this summer and that could be bad for the Grizzlies lottery hopes. This isn't about the meaningless early bird right. This is about Tyreke going all out to show the world what he can do and ruining the Grizzlies lottery chances to salvage this otherwise worthless season isn't his concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

What worries me is Tyreke is OK with sticking around because he feels he'll have a green light to do whatever he needs to do to showcae his talents for this summer and that could be bad for the Grizzlies lottery hopes. 

What if Tyreke is OK with staying around because he knows he can make more money with the Grizzlies then the majority of other teams? What if he actually likes it here?

I think his value is highest now.  If he starts trying to showcase talent route, that will likely lead to more Grizzlies losses, which may hurt his value.  I think he'll be on a minutes or game restriction, along with Gasol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

What if Tyreke is OK with staying around because he knows he can make more money with the Grizzlies then the majority of other teams? What if he actually likes it here?

I think his value is highest now.  If he starts trying to showcase talent route, that will likely lead to more Grizzlies losses, which may hurt his value.  I think he'll be on a minutes or game restriction, along with Gasol.

 

It isn't the majority of NBA teams that worries me. It is one team. It only takes one team to pay more than the Grizzlies can and he is gone like the wind. 

And putting Tyreke on a minutes restriction makes sense. After all Gasol only played 37 minutes against the Jazz the other night. The team is clearly restricting his minutes. :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This may be true, but it is unlikely he will be given a chance to sign a 4-year deal at the MLE or better.

True. Lou Williams got only 3 years, I think. Still, maybe it is something he/his agent would take into account. Who knows at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elillo said:

But, although healthy this year, with his injury history he might want to secure as many years as possible for his next contract. Everything is so confusing right now.

That's Tyreke's conundrum. Get a long contract starting with MLE and remain locked at that level until his prime is over or get a shorter contract in hopes of a better contract while still in his prime? 

I think a two year contract player option with Memphis gives everyone the best risk-benefit balance:

  • He gets about $18M guaranteed which means that even if he has to retire due to injuries (worst case scenario) he's set for life.
  • If he keeps playing well next season he can cash out by opting out and listening to more-than-MLE offers, including non-Bird money from the Grizzlies.
  • And if he hangs out playing well for the duration, he becomes a UFA who can be offered up to a 5-year max contract by the Grizzlies, juuuuust when Marc and Parsons' contracts fall of the books.
  • To make it even better, since his contract would be an MLE-level expiring his cap hold would be far less than the max so we might have enough cap space to sign a max contract, another MLE-type FA and Tyreke as long as he's the last one to sign (like Conley did in 2016)

But who knows, I can't imagine what's going on in Reke's head at this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this