Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

What do you think Tyreke's value is?

Recommended Posts

It's unfortunate that Tyreke is playing so well at a time when the Grizzlies are at the lowest point they've been in many years.  It sort of feels like it's neither here nor there, and because of his style of play, it doesn't command much value to other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let him walk. You will get nothing but scrubs for him now. The sharks are swimming around the bleeding Grizzlies just waiting for an easy meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 7:38 PM, scooter said:

Let him walk. You will get nothing but scrubs for him now. The sharks are swimming around the bleeding Grizzlies just waiting for an easy meal.

Right - you don't trade him just to trade him.

Someone will bite with a decent offer though - it's a win-now league and there are a handful of desperate teams fighting for playoff spots/seeding, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Right - you don't trade him just to trade him.

Someone will bite with a decent offer though - it's a win-now league and there are a handful of desperate teams fighting for playoff spots/seeding, etc.

You wait for the best offer. However, even if all the offers are crap, you absolutely trade him just to trade him. He is gone after the season regardless. Get something while you can. The only way he comes back here is if no one offers him the MLE or higher. That is all we can offer. If the most anyone offers is the MLE, do you think he is choosing to play for a team that is currently among the worst in the league? Get what you can for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

You wait for the best offer. However, even if all the offers are crap, you absolutely trade him just to trade him. He is gone after the season regardless. Get something while you can. The only way he comes back here is if no one offers him the MLE or higher. That is all we can offer. If the most anyone offers is the MLE, do you think he is choosing to play for a team that is currently among the worst in the league? Get what you can for him.

What I'm meaning is what if the only trade offers are taking back salary in return and not draft picks? Etc.

But I get your drift - surely there will be a high second round pick at the very least - though I think they could pull a lower first.

And I'd be okay with them getting a player back if it was a young guy.

Lakers are trying to get off Randle, Nance and Clarkson.

I would think you could maybe get Zizic from the Cavs, Oubre from the Wizards.

But I think the Grizz are only looking at shedding salary and getting picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for trading Reke, but I'm not trying to take back any players that aren't expiring unless there are picks involved. Taking on salary of a player that doesn't help us isn't the answer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crizzle said:

I'm all for trading Reke, but I'm not trying to take back any players that aren't expiring unless there are picks involved. Taking on salary of a player that doesn't help us isn't the answer 

Would you do a Tyreke/Wright/Chalmers to LA for Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson and take on the $13M for the next 2 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade Tyreke to the Raptors for OG Anunoby straight up. Raptors get somebody for the playoffs this year while the Cavs look vulnerable and the Celtics more vulnerable than the will be next year, we get a very good young swing player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who says we can resign Reke? He did have his resurgence here. Might not happen with another club. He can get his shots and is a fan favorite. Top #5 draft pick, a good coach, and a healthy Conley and we're right back in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

Who says we can resign Reke? He did have his resurgence here. Might not happen with another club. He can get his shots and is a fan favorite. Top #5 draft pick, a good coach, and a healthy Conley and we're right back in the game. 

Most we'll be able to offer him is the MLE and it's doubtful that'll be enough to keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

Who says we can resign Reke? He did have his resurgence here. Might not happen with another club. He can get his shots and is a fan favorite. Top #5 draft pick, a good coach, and a healthy Conley and we're right back in the game. 

Chandler Parsons

His contract is going to haunt us for a long time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Chandler Parsons

His contract is going to haunt us for a long time

Agreed. The Parson signing is worse than the drafting of Thabeet. We only had to keep Thabeet for 1 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, Grizz&Grind said:

What I'm meaning is what if the only trade offers are taking back salary in return and not draft picks? Etc.

But I get your drift - surely there will be a high second round pick at the very least - though I think they could pull a lower first.

And I'd be okay with them getting a player back if it was a young guy.

Lakers are trying to get off Randle, Nance and Clarkson.

I would think you could maybe get Zizic from the Cavs, Oubre from the Wizards.

But I think the Grizz are only looking at shedding salary and getting picks.

I'm with you on not taking back long term salary if it is a bad contract. I'm not opposed to Clarkson (although that takes more than Tyreke). I don't think we are getting a first or if we do, that it will be a super late first. I'd rather target young guys who are still on rookie contracts but have shown some potential. Oubre, Poeltl, Anunoby, Hernangomez (either), Richaun Holmes, Kennard, those type of players. They may not be available. But those would be my targets first and foremost (unless you can get a mid round first). Then I'd settle for picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scooter said:

Agreed. The Parson signing is worse than the drafting of Thabeet. We only had to keep Thabeet for 1 season.

We may have only had to keep Thabeet for one season, but we lost out on Steph Curry. Thabeet is still worse. The only thing worse than Thabeet is the Otis Thorpe trade. That cost us DWade (Jerry West's target), Bosh, or Melo. Although I hate Melo as a player, any of those three would have given us a real superstar at least for a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should be trading Gasol to make room to resign Reke. Get Nets 1st and Thompson for Gasol. 

What about the stretch provision for Parsons?

That should set us up with 2 lottery picks, and cap room to sign Reke, who is several years younger than Gasol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

We should be trading Gasol to make room to resign Reke. .

This is just nuts. Get rid of the teams best trade asset just to sign a guy that has went down hill since his rookie season 9 years ago and has had 3 knee surgeries, all because he has had a good half season on a poorly preforming team. 

"We" need to trade him ASAP before he breaks down again, and he will break down again. Signing Reke would just be another Parsons contract.

I'm glad Reke is playing well. He's been a great distraction while the team has been terrible. Putting any hope in him is just crazy though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

We should be trading Gasol to make room to resign Reke. Get Nets 1st and Thompson for Gasol. 

What about the stretch provision for Parsons?

That should set us up with 2 lottery picks, and cap room to sign Reke, who is several years younger than Gasol.

Yeah, if DeAndre Jordon is not going to put the Cavaliers over the top, neither will Gasol. Jordon is better than Gasol, which is surprising to me. However, that's based off of Gasol's decline, not Jordon's improvement. Crazy how a player can just decline automatically when he gets "that contract." Gasol was the best center in the NBA before signing his contract, but ever since he signed the dotted line, he has decline. Yes, 33 has a part of it and losing Randolph and having an injury plagued guard in Conley hurts as well, but still.

The Cavaliers need that pick because its a young player that the franchise to look forward to if LeBron leaves in the summer. Can't just get rid of that pick to get rid of pick, especially if the return does you really no good in winning a championship, and LeBron leaves as well.

Lets say if the Cavaliers do trade Tristian Thompson and the Brooklyn pick to Memphis for Marc Gasol, and LeBron leaves as well. Then you have the 2018-2019 Cleveland Cavaliers that is going to have a 34 year Marc Gasol a 30 year Kevin Love, and a 33 year old J.R. Smith. Doesn't look good. And the city of Cleveland is not a premier destination for professional athletes for free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to that, the purpose of a trade is to benefit both parties (teams). If the Grizzlies trade Gasol to Cleveland for Thompson + Brooklyn pick, it'll be a steal for the Grizzlies. The oldest team in the NBA will be even older, and it'll give the Cavaliers no success for long term future. The Cavaliers are just stuck. In order for the Grizzlies to complete this trade to Cleveland two things must happen. (1) The Grizzlies should throw in two second round picks (2nd round picks aren't guaranteed a contract and the chances of them lasting in the NBA for a long period of time is slim, and (2) LeBron must agree to the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marc Gasol is generally considered better than DeAndre Jordan.

I'm sure some Grizzlies fans disagree with that, but I'm sure a lot of Clippers fans agree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

Yeah, if DeAndre Jordon is not going to put the Cavaliers over the top, neither will Gasol. Jordon is better than Gasol, which is surprising to me. However, that's based off of Gasol's decline, not Jordon's improvement. Crazy how a player can just decline automatically when he gets "that contract." Gasol was the best center in the NBA before signing his contract, but ever since he signed the dotted line, he has decline. Yes, 33 has a part of it and losing Randolph and having an injury plagued guard in Conley hurts as well, but still.

The Cavaliers need that pick because its a young player that the franchise to look forward to if LeBron leaves in the summer. Can't just get rid of that pick to get rid of pick, especially if the return does you really no good in winning a championship, and LeBron leaves as well.

Lets say if the Cavaliers do trade Tristian Thompson and the Brooklyn pick to Memphis for Marc Gasol, and LeBron leaves as well. Then you have the 2018-2019 Cleveland Cavaliers that is going to have a 34 year Marc Gasol a 30 year Kevin Love, and a 33 year old J.R. Smith. Doesn't look good. And the city of Cleveland is not a premier destination for professional athletes for free agency.

I think you must be repeating things you've heard because you obviously have not checked any statistics.  I suggest that you look at his record.  He signed his contract in the summer of 2015.  2015-2018 so far Gasol has posted overall better statistics than in the previous 7 seasons.  I will say that his efficiency is down, but I would attribute that to the fact that we have no serious perimeter threats to keep the defense honest.  Tyreke is our biggest threat outside and the majority of his scoring comes from drives to the rim.  Defenses don't really have to guard anyone else outside.  Gasol is also currently 8th in the league in shot blocking, though I will concede that his lateral quickness is less than what it was.

If they decide to move him I hope they get someone who will improve the team, otherwise I'd rather see him stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Marc Gasol is generally considered better than DeAndre Jordan.

I'm sure some Grizzlies fans disagree with that, but I'm sure a lot of Clippers fans agree.

 

It looks like a lot of prestigious voters must not agree cause Jordan was NBA first team in 2016, NBA third team in last year and on the all defensive team in 2015 and 2016. Gasol hasnt been on a All NBA team since 2015 and a defensive team since 2013 and he is having one of his worst seasons yet and is obviously starting the age of decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the Cavs do this deal when the could do a similar deal, maybe giving up and additional 1st with the Pelicans and get Davis? The Cavs have 2 1st picks in this draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cavs just had a “high level” players meeting with the media on condition of anonymity to say they need help. Most read this as, “get rid of the draft pick and get us a quality vet”-LBJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dwash said:

It looks like a lot of prestigious voters must not agree cause Jordan was NBA first team in 2016, NBA third team in last year and on the all defensive team in 2015 and 2016. Gasol hasnt been on a All NBA team since 2015 and a defensive team since 2013 and he is having one of his worst seasons yet and is obviously starting the age of decline.

Well just what is DeAndre better at besides rebounding?  This season Gasol is better at scoring, assisting, steals, and blocked shots.  Oh, and Gasol can make free throws.

Some of you sure have a skewed idea of a bad season,  Gasol's ppg this season is the second highest of his career, and his rebounding is third highest, and his assists are tied for his second highest mark.  Defensively he's 8th in the league in blocks.  What a bum.  Sure, his shooting percentages are down, but that's what happens when there is only one other threat on the team and the defense doesn't have to worry about any of his teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this