GF#1

Inverted Standings Watch

I read this thread because I am curious on how many posters want the team to lose. They don't like to have this pointed out but that is what this thread is about isn't it? You are coming to a Memphis Grizzlies fan board to cheer losses by the Memphis Grizzlies. It is a rather peculiar hobby to say the least. 

56 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I read this thread because I am curious on how many posters want the team to lose. They don't like to have this pointed out but that is what this thread is about isn't it? You are coming to a Memphis Grizzlies fan board to cheer losses by the Memphis Grizzlies. It is a rather peculiar hobby to say the least. 

See the source image

59 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

We're cheering for the betterment of the team. When your house burns down you tear down what's left, you don't try to build around it.

23 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

We're cheering for the betterment of the team. When your house burns down you tear down what's left, you don't try to build around it.

Surprisingly optimistic view from someone legendary for his negativity. You're not getting softer as you age are you IIWIS??? ;)

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This team is dead in the water right now with Conley on the shelf, for how much longer who knows. I can only imagine when he comes back, the team will be pretty far out of the playoff picture.

I'm as big a fan as any, but we're on pace to win 22 games right now. Take away the first several games of the season and it's even worse. If we're not going to be in the playoffs, might as well look to get the best asset out of the situation. 38 wins and the #12 pick isn't remarkably helpful.

Again, that brings up the issue of who's going to be making these draft picks unfortunately. Hopefully we'll have a new decision maker when the time comes. Not holding my breath though.

6 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

This team is dead in the water right now with Conley on the shelf, for how much longer who knows. I can only imagine when he comes back, the team will be pretty far out of the playoff picture.

I'm as big a fan as any, but we're on pace to win 22 games right now. Take away the first several games of the season and it's even worse. If we're not going to be in the playoffs, might as well look to get the best asset out of the situation. 38 wins and the #12 pick isn't remarkably helpful.

Again, that brings up the issue of who's going to be making these draft picks unfortunately. Hopefully we'll have a new decision maker when the time comes. Not holding my breath though.

The team is only 5.5 games out of the playoffs. Get Conley, Wright and Selden back and they are clearly not the worst team in the conference much less the league. 

All that doesn't really matter however. I have paid for tickets to the Grizzlies games and I want to get a return on my money. I've sat through many seasons with a terribly talented roster where the team gave me all they had but night after night it wasn't enough. I can live with that. To have a talented team not giving their best effort to win is an insult to me as a ticket holding fan. 

Sorry but that is my opinion. I don't expect the team to win every game. I don't expect them to win a title. I do expect and demand they give me their best effort for my money. When I feel they haven't done that then I get mad and I want someone to be held accountable. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

The team is only 5.5 games out of the playoffs. Get Conley, Wright and Selden back and they are clearly not the worst team in the conference much less the league. 

All that doesn't really matter however. I have paid for tickets to the Grizzlies games and I want to get a return on my money. I've sat through many seasons with a terribly talented roster where the team gave me all they had but night after night it wasn't enough. I can live with that. To have a talented team not giving their best effort to win is an insult to me as a ticket holding fan. 

Sorry but that is my opinion. I don't expect the team to win every game. I don't expect them to win a title. I do expect and demand they give me their best effort for my money. 

I have no problem if the team gives maximum effort. I'll live with the end result. It's insulting to me as well. But I'm not going to get overly upset with these losses.

Again, I understand the team is only 5.5 back. But what will that number be when Conley returns? That's my concern.

2 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I have no problem if the team gives maximum effort. I'll live with the end result. It's insulting to me as well. But I'm not going to get overly upset with these losses.

Again, I understand the team is only 5.5 back. But what will that number be when Conley returns? That's my concern.

It was announced on Dec 4 that Conley would be out an additional 2-3 weeks. That means he could be eligible to return after this weekend. How far do you expect the team to fall in the next few days? 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

It was announced on Dec 4 that Conley would be out an additional 2-3 weeks. That means he could be eligible to return after this weekend. How far do you expect the team to fall in the next few days? 

I think that timeline for a return still raises the question on if Conley is returning at 100% or simply rushing back to keep the boat from sinking. In my opinion, this season is already over and there is no need to rush back Conley too soon.

1 minute ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I think that timeline for a return still raises the question on if Conley is returning at 100% or simply rushing back to keep the boat from sinking. In my opinion, this season is already over and there is no need to rush back Conley too soon.

So are you assuming that Conley is being rushed back and not 100% despite the team and Conley both saying that he was waiting an additional 2-3 weeks to be 100% healthy when he returns?

Now that is the pessimistic IIWIS I'm used to reading. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

We prefer taking one bad season in hopes of no longer being average or mediocre year after year. We have accepted that for a small market team to get a great talent they have to be bad. We didnt create this system but understand this is how its played.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

We prefer taking one bad season in hopes of no longer being average or mediocre year after year. We have accepted that for a small market team to get a great talent they have to be bad. We didnt create this system but understand this is how its played.

Can you give me an example of a team (not San Antonio) successfully losing for a single season and turning around the next season to be extremely competitive?

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Can you give me an example of a team (not San Antonio) successfully losing for a single season and turning around the next season to be extremely competitive?

First of all...Im not expecting a rookie to make the team competitive from DAY ONE. I dont think I said they had to be competitive the next season. I am saying that you are taking a bad year in order to get a top flight talent that will make you competitive in the long run. 

2004-05 Utah Jazz - bad for one year then picked Deron Williams. .500 the next year.

2003-04 - Miami Heat - were a borderline playoff team on the backs of Eddie Jones and one 25 win season landed Dwayne Wade.  EC semifinals the next year.

2004-05 - New Orleans Hornets - playoff team the year before, bad one year, picked Chris Paul who had them close to .500 the next two years before becoming a playoff team.

07-08 Bulls - playoffs three straight years, missed to draft D Rose, back in playoffs next 7 years.

04-05 Lakers - traded Shaq, missed playoffs, drafted Bynum, back in playoffs next year.

Denver Nuggets - their tank job took two years but it yielded Carmelo Anthony. Playoffs 9 years after that.

Portland Trailblazers - two bad years landed them Lamarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy. .500 in their sexond year, next year playoffs.

Blazers again - After Roy fell off due to knee problems, one bad year later down the line got them Damian Lilliard then the next year they barely missed the playoffs and picked up CJ McCullom.

Sonics/Thunder - dont know if this fits your time line cause they were really bad for two years and kinda mediocre the year before but we know what happened there three years in a row after trading Ray Allen.

Recent Celtics - only bad for one year after trading Rondo, Pierce, KG and company. Back in playoffs year after next.

Anyway, I am not sure why this is even a debate anymore. This team is trash on its own not even attempting to tank. And will continue to be bad. So I will continue to hope for the best talent they can get.

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'll believe 2-3 weeks when I see it. Even given that figure, lets be cautious and say it will be three weeks. That's what at least 10-12 games? Lets be optimistic and say the Grizzlies win 3 of 11 (the Grizzlies have currently lost 16 of 17, and the one win was by a single point). That puts them at 11-28. Lets be conservative and say that to get to the playoffs you need 40 wins. 

You really expect the Grizzlies to go 29-14 the rest of the way? For perspective, that type of winning percentage is in the ball park of San Antonio level of play. I don't think even the most optimistic of Grizz fans could expect the Grizzlies to come back from this. 

And there's no guarantee Conley/Gasol doesn't get injured again. I'd actually say it's more likely than not. 

4 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

You have it backwards.  It shows how much we love a team that were willing to sacrifice short term success for much better long term success.  It's like not having with your sex with your wife for two months to save your marriage instead of hooking up with cheap hookers and ruining your marriage.  Those of us wishing for us to lose are actually our biggest diehard fans.

You don't love a team when you crap all over the players who make up the team.

17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You don't love a team when you crap all over the players who make up the team.

What team are you referring to? I don't see a team. 

21 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

What team are you referring to? I don't see a team. 

I know we're bad now.  We've been there before.  We'll get through it.  Of all posters on here I think you and maybe ODK have surprised me the most with some of the scornful posts.  It's almost as bad as Chip forsaking the Sunshine Patrol.  

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I know we're bad now.  We've been there before.  We'll get through it.  Of all posters on here I think you and maybe ODK have surprised me the most with some of the scornful posts.  It's almost as bad as Chip forsaking the Sunshine Patrol.  

I didn’t forsake the Sunshine Patrol. Remember I predicted 38 wins on the season after all. 😉

On 12/15/2017 at 9:24 AM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

That depends on how badly it is burned, that would be the same with any sports team. If you got the money, you can do what you want but if not, then you have to take what and do what the insurance payout will allow you do.

Id rather throw away one season and have a chance ot get one of the top 4 picks if there is a chance of getting a future franchise player. We have a good group of young role players but we need somebody to carry the torch once Gasol and Conley are gone. I have been a Grizzlies fan from day one and Id been around throughout those lottery seasons. I just hope we have better luck with the future drafts.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, smit-tay griz said:

This team has worn me down with the idiocy it's exhibited. 

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If Mike Conley was getting a lot of most underrated love before, if he comes back and the team plays over .500 ball for a while, he will deserve much praise.

If this happens I would trade him. He stays hurt to much. With age, staying healthy will even  be harder