GF#1

Inverted Standings Watch

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, MemphisX said:

That makes no sense.

There is NOTHING you can do about tanking in the NBA. Any move you make to prevent it will cause another problem. As long as one player can dramatically change the fortune of a franchise there will be tanking.

Relegation like they have in European soccer would cut out tanking pretty quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Blue Bear said:

The incentive is giving the 8th seed the best odds of getting the #1 draft pick.

They had it right originally when everyone had an equal chance at the top pick. Once they started weighting the odds, tanking became a bigger problem than before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think they should look at taking the bottom 8 teams and putting them in a single elimination tournament to decide the order. Winner gets top pick, runner up gets 2nd, and so on. It would add a great bit of competition and kill the need to tank to try and get the best ping pong ball odds.

They could knock this out after the regular season and give the actual playoff teams a week of rest before the playoffs start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Allen said:

I have a hard time believing that. You think Okc would rather tank for a pick than play the Warriors in the first round?

Why do you have a hard time believing a 9th seed has a better chance at striking gold w/ the #1 pick than an 8th seed does at beating a 1st seed?

Next year all this tanking won't be nearly as bad. Bottom 3 teams will have an equal amount of ping pong balls, although it should be bottom 5 if u ask me. Less incentive to tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I still think they should look at taking the bottom 8 teams and putting them in a single elimination tournament to decide the order. Winner gets top pick, runner up gets 2nd, and so on. It would add a great bit of competition and kill the need to tank to try and get the best ping pong ball odds.

They could knock this out after the regular season and give the actual playoff teams a week of rest before the playoffs start.

I do like this but watching some of these teams is giving me such a headache ::):) I’m watching suns kings magic in hope of wins...... to much bad basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdp said:

Why do you have a hard time believing a 9th seed has a better chance at striking gold w/ the #1 pick than an 8th seed does at beating a 1st seed?

Next year all this tanking won't be nearly as bad. Bottom 3 teams will have an equal amount of ping pong balls, although it should be bottom 5 if u ask me. Less incentive to tank.

I obviously know that is true but your thinking from a fans point of view. Professional athletes  and coaching staffs will always think they have a chance no matter who they are playing and will do everything in their power to make the playoffs imo.

Can you imagine OKC management going to Westbrook and saying " Look we know you would like a chance to knock Durant out of the playoffs but this Ayton kid is pretty good so we're going to sit you a couple weeks ok?"

My idea keeps more teams playing harder for the longest. 7th 8th 9th and 10th seed would be fighting for the playoffs and 15th 14th 13th 12th and 11th would be fighting to get closer to 9th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdp said:

Bottom 3 teams will have an equal amount of ping pong balls, although it should be bottom 5 if u ask me. Less incentive to tank.

That's better.  If you have some teams clustered at 25-30 wins and one has 15, it's not fair to make that bottom-dweller compete and very likely have the worst lottery pick (unless they get a guarantee, and then we have a tank race again).  

With three equal, we might see some tanking to stay in the bottom three, but certainly less than now. 

And that bottom team can play hard all the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TimBC said:

That's better.  If you have some teams clustered at 25-30 wins and one has 15, it's not fair to make that bottom-dweller compete and very likely have the worst lottery pick (unless they get a guarantee, and then we have a tank race again).  

With three equal, we might see some tanking to stay in the bottom three, but certainly less than now. 

And that bottom team can play hard all the way. 

Why would they play hard if they have no reason too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allen said:

I obviously know that is true but your thinking from a fans point of view. Professional athletes  and coaching staffs will always think they have a chance no matter who they are playing and will do everything in their power to make the playoffs imo.

Can you imagine OKC management going to Westbrook and saying " Look we know you would like a chance to knock Durant out of the playoffs but this Ayton kid is pretty good so we're going to sit you a couple weeks ok?"

My idea keeps more teams playing harder for the longest. 7th 8th 9th and 10th seed would be fighting for the playoffs and 15th 14th 13th 12th and 11th would be fighting to get closer to 9th

You don't have to ask Westbrook a **** thing.  Just make roster adjustments.

Relegation is a non-starter.

Even odds for all lottery teams is better but we have already seen how that causes other problems. 

When Akeem was coming out, teams punted their season BEFORE it even started.  This issue is hard to solve becuase one player can make such a big difference in your team's future.

I can't think of anything the NBA could do if I were an owner of a non-contending team and the next LeBron/Durant was coming into the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

They had it right originally when everyone had an equal chance at the top pick. Once they started weighting the odds, tanking became a bigger problem than before. 

I like the old formula then. I still believe the NBA needs to  come up with more of an incentive for teams not to tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

You don't have to ask Westbrook a **** thing.  Just make roster adjustments.

Relegation is a non-starter.

Even odds for all lottery teams is better but we have already seen how that causes other problems. 

When Akeem was coming out, teams punted their season BEFORE it even started.  This issue is hard to solve becuase one player can make such a big difference in your team's future.

I can't think of anything the NBA could do if I were an owner of a non-contending team and the next LeBron/Durant was coming into the league.

Alienating your best players isnt a good idea. I just cant imagine a 7th or 8th seed missing the playoffs on purpose. I would have to see it to believe it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warching the Nets challenge the Cavs and some other games like the Suns challenge the Blazers, I feel like the Grizzlies deserve this top pick. Its not just a tank job or an attempt to work the system. This team really does need the talent. Sure they would be a .500 squad or so with Reke and Conley playing more, but Reke is a strong candidate to leave and Conley stays hurt. And both just had career years and could regress. So its not like either can be counted on next year like the Suns can count on Booker/Warren/Jackson to get better for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I still think they should look at taking the bottom 8 teams and putting them in a single elimination tournament to decide the order. Winner gets top pick, runner up gets 2nd, and so on. It would add a great bit of competition and kill the need to tank to try and get the best ping pong ball odds.

They could knock this out after the regular season and give the actual playoff teams a week of rest before the playoffs start.

You have to make teams want to be better throughout the season, and not quit 20 games in leaving 62 that are tanks. Your suggestion to me, is the best I've heard so far and also seems entertaining. Teams will strive to better themselves for the most part when you take away the reward for being crappy. Something needs to be done because tanking is becoming more accepted and normalized, which is dangerous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You have to make teams want to be better throughout the season, and not quit 20 games in leaving 62 that are tanks. Your suggestion to me, is the best I've heard so far and also seems entertaining. Teams will strive to better themselves for the most part when you take away the reward for being crappy. Something needs to be done because tanking is becoming more accepted and normalized, which is dangerous. 

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge upcoming nights for the lottery bound teams.

Grizzlies v Suns tonight; Grizzlies v Magic on Saturday

Kings and Nets tomorrow.

Mavs v Bulls Friday (Pistons at Magic as an outside possibility)

Suns at Hawks & Knicks at Kings

 

Somebody has to win those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Huge upcoming nights for the lottery bound teams.

Grizzlies v Suns tonight; Grizzlies v Magic on Saturday

Kings and Nets tomorrow.

Mavs v Bulls Friday (Pistons at Magic as an outside possibility)

Suns at Hawks & Knicks at Kings

 

Somebody has to win those games.

the BEST tanking team wins the lottery  go grizzs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top guys aren't even playing that well.  Bagley/Carter put up pedestrian stats in losses.  Bamba isn't playing.  Tres Brick shot 7/20.  Collin Sexton's team lost big after he started 1/10.  Ayton had a huge first half at Oregon this past weekend but disappeared down the stretch in an eventual overtime loss.

Is this draft even worth tanking for?

"BEST MID-LOTTO IN NBA DRAFT HISTORY!" doesn't quite do it for me anymore...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

The top guys aren't even playing that well.  Bagley/Carter put up pedestrian stats in losses.  Bamba isn't playing.  Tres Brick shot 7/20.  Collin Sexton's team lost big after he started 1/10.  Ayton had a huge first half at Oregon this past weekend but disappeared down the stretch in an eventual overtime loss.

Is this draft even worth tanking for?

"BEST MID-LOTTO IN NBA DRAFT HISTORY!" doesn't quite do it for me anymore...

 

Ayton and Doncic are definitely worth tanking for. Probably Young just because of ticket sales and hype and I'm a HUGE fan of Jackson Jr. Almost forgot about the mystery that is Porter Jr. and Bamba is intriguing. 

Basically top 5 are absolutely worth tanking for. We BETTER not get a #7 pick <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Ayton and Doncic are definitely worth tanking for. Probably Young just because of ticket sales and hype and I'm a HUGE fan of Jackson Jr. Almost forgot about the mystery that is Porter Jr. and Bamba is intriguing. 

Basically top 5 are absolutely worth tanking for. We BETTER not get a #7 pick <_<

To ensure a top 5 pick we have to finish no worse than next to last place.  

Yeah, this thing might fall off after 7 or 8.

Although one of the really, really bad teams is gonna get jobbed -- move back at least a couple of spots.  

I bet the 3rd worst team moves back to 5 or 6 if they don't win the top pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sacramento has Brooklyn at home tomorrow. They win and then its a 18 win showdown in Orlando for 1st!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides Suns, Atlanta really slipped up and beat the Pacers tonight.

Costly win!  I didn't even list them above on the big games of the weekend because I thought there was no way that would happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Ayton and Doncic are definitely worth tanking for. Probably Young just because of ticket sales and hype and I'm a HUGE fan of Jackson Jr. Almost forgot about the mystery that is Porter Jr. and Bamba is intriguing. 

Basically top 5 are absolutely worth tanking for. We BETTER not get a #7 pick <_<

 

Probably.

We/media say this about every year, but until they play a season or 2 in the NBA, you don't know what you'll get with injuries, especially kids that sometimes are still growing.

2014 was supposed to be a decent draft.

Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle all looked a lot better when they were on the other side, and we were only discussing potential.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

 

Probably.

We/media say this about every year, but until they play a season or 2 in the NBA, you don't know what you'll get with injuries, especially kids that sometimes are still growing.

2014 was supposed to be a decent draft.

Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle all looked a lot better when they were on the other side, and we were only discussing potential.  

This draft is definitely overrated. Its got real good depth but not sure fire stars. All the top guys have warts. However, they key is being able to get the guy with the least amount of warts. Next season we will either be a borderline playoff team or similar to what you see now because of Boston having our pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now