The avalanche of crazy stat lines doesn't guarantee anything, obviously. Guys like Freddette and Hield were doing similar things to college defenses before the NBA made everything more complicated. There are dozens of examples who lived that same story. Even someone like Tyus Jones was torturing teams in college before the size and speed of NBA defenders rendered him ordinary. All of that history is reason to be cautious with Young. But for every concern about size or defense, by far the most valuable skill in today's NBA is the ability to hit threes off the dribble, and Young can already do that better than any prospect in several years. It's why he draws attention everywhere he goes on offense. Couple that with his knack for initiating contact to get to the line—9.5 free throws per game—and passing that makes his gravity twice as dangerous, and there's reason to buy in regardless of past cautionary tales. 

8. The Steph Curry comparison falls apart because of how much better Steph became once he got to the NBA. He left Davidson and became much better at everything he did well, while also eliminating practically all of his weaknesses (including injuries). Projecting any college player to retrace the steps of one of the 10 or 15 most dominant players of all time is obviously a bad idea. Still, Young has been good enough to make you wonder about all the wildest outcomes. If he keeps this going it's only going to get harder to resist reckless optimism. Maybe he won't be Curry, but what if he's Steve Nash?

I think what gets people mixed up are the curry comparisons. While fair they also have their limitations of course.

at the end of the day if he is on the draft board when we pick, if Bagley or Sexton are gone or hell even if they aren’t, I’m taking him and I am retiring mike Conley. 

14 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I think what gets people mixed up are the curry comparisons. While fair they also have their limitations of course.

at the end of the day if he is on the draft board when we pick, if Bagley or Sexton are gone or hell even if they aren’t, I’m taking him and I am retiring mike Conley. 

Regardless of who we pick in the draft, Conley needs to be on the team. Not a better role model/vet leader to tutor our lotto pick, especially if it is a pg. 

Crybaby Gasol gotta go.

15 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

The avalanche of crazy stat lines doesn't guarantee anything, obviously. Guys like Freddette and Hield were doing similar things to college defenses before the NBA made everything more complicated. There are dozens of examples who lived that same story. Even someone like Tyus Jones was torturing teams in college before the size and speed of NBA defenders rendered him ordinary. All of that history is reason to be cautious with Young. But for every concern about size or defense, by far the most valuable skill in today's NBA is the ability to hit threes off the dribble, and Young can already do that better than any prospect in several years. It's why he draws attention everywhere he goes on offense. Couple that with his knack for initiating contact to get to the line—9.5 free throws per game—and passing that makes his gravity twice as dangerous, and there's reason to buy in regardless of past cautionary tales. 

8. The Steph Curry comparison falls apart because of how much better Steph became once he got to the NBA. He left Davidson and became much better at everything he did well, while also eliminating practically all of his weaknesses (including injuries). Projecting any college player to retrace the steps of one of the 10 or 15 most dominant players of all time is obviously a bad idea. Still, Young has been good enough to make you wonder about all the wildest outcomes. If he keeps this going it's only going to get harder to resist reckless optimism. Maybe he won't be Curry, but what if he's Steve Nash?

lol, because steve nash was the lesser curry? Nash had vision that Trae young could only dream about and his handles were off the charts.

Are you ready to change your handle to Liltraeyoung?

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

lol, because steve nash was the lesser curry? Nash had vision that Trae young could only dream about and his handles were off the charts.

No but you can change yours to Mr.Capricious. 

9 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Regardless of who we pick in the draft, Conley needs to be on the team. Not a better role model/vet leader to tutor our lotto pick, especially if it is a pg. 

Crybaby Gasol gotta go.

We can trade Gasol. Never been against that since we started losing. I want him on a contender. 

Conley will be fine off the bench for all I care. They need to go ahead and tear his Achilles and repair it. 

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

What Steve Nash are you talking about? 7 year NBA veteran or NCAA Freshman? Because if you want to say Nash was better as a Frosh than Young, you are just lying. Heck, Nash had problems beating out Howard eisley in the NBA. Let’s not recreate history.

Paul, Kyrie and AI are the only Frosh PGs that have an argument over Trae Young. Not even Freshman Curry was doing what Young is doing.

19 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

What Steve Nash are you talking about? 7 year NBA veteran or NCAA Freshman? Because if you want to say Nash was better as a Frosh than Young, you are just lying. Heck, Nash had problems beating out Howard eisley in the NBA. Let’s not recreate history.

Paul, Kyrie and AI are the only Frosh PGs that have an argument over Trae Young. Not even Freshman Curry was doing what Young is doing.

You can add Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, John Stockton, Russell Westbrook to the list, and no kyrie got hurt. Let's see, what other legends can we put on the list that Trae Young is outperforming?

College Basketball scouting has never been about stats, but about transferable skillsets. The only skillset Trae Young currently has in common with any of these guys is his "alpha" mindset.

He looks like an average streaky 3 point shooter to me, not a shotmaker like curry, he looks like james harden type passer (which is, if you have that much usage with the ball you are going to get assists), not a deadly passer like Nash, Kidd or Stockton was. He is not an athletic beast like Westbrook or AI. 

So what is he? He has an alpha mindset. If you were to really make a leap you could maybe project him to be an Isiah Thomas. But he could just as easy be OJ Mayo or Jimmer Fredette. Thomas has elite handles that I don't see with Trae Young.

Right now he has the green light to jack 10 threes a game. Only person in the nba with that kind of freedom is Harden right now. Fredette got to the nba and lost all of his confidence. It probably had something to do with him being white, similar to Kevin Love being shutout in Cleveland by Kyrie Irving. They weren't going to let that white boy shine.

No way Trae comes to the nba and does that, especially not on the grizzlies team. Give me a break.

6 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

You contend everyone in the NBA is conspiring against white players? Really?

HA Kevin B is pure entertainment. This board would be boring without him

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You can add Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, John Stockton, Russell Westbrook to the list, and no kyrie got hurt. Let's see, what other legends can we put on the list that Trae Young is outperforming?

College Basketball scouting has never been about stats, but about transferable skillsets. The only skillset Trae Young currently has in common with any of these guys is his "alpha" mindset.

He looks like an average streaky 3 point shooter to me, not a shotmaker like curry, he looks like james harden type passer (which is, if you have that much usage with the ball you are going to get assists), not a deadly passer like Nash, Kidd or Stockton was. He is not an athletic beast like Westbrook or AI. 

So what is he? He has an alpha mindset. If you were to really make a leap you could maybe project him to be an Isiah Thomas. But he could just as easy be OJ Mayo or Jimmer Fredette. Thomas has elite handles that I don't see with Trae Young.

Right now he has the green light to jack 10 threes a game. Only person in the nba with that kind of freedom is Harden right now. Fredette got to the nba and lost all of his confidence. It probably had something to do with him being white, similar to Kevin Love being shutout in Cleveland by Kyrie Irving. They weren't going to let that white boy shine.

No way Trae comes to the nba and does that, especially not on the grizzlies team. Give me a break.

Lololololol. 

9 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

KBM is going to change his mind so it’s all a wash .

I'm not going to criticize a guy just because his favorite song is "Both Sides Now."

I'm really feeling Miles Bridges right now. I think MSU has 2 top 5 players on their team in Bridges and Jackson.

Brides shot-making with his ability to pass the ball would be an immediate upgrade to what we have. He could be the best sf we've had since Rudy Gay. 

I am looking to upgrade our athletic ability on this team. Miles Bridges and Jackson do that. I don't want no 6-2 lightweight. Trae Young.

I think bridges is the Mike Conley of Small Forwards. He has cut down on his turnovers and he has made a huge leap in free throw % this year. 

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Mikal Bridges is the best Bridges in the draft.  

Neck and neck for me

I don't get the love for the 'Tall Shane Larkin'.

NO way he's top 3 pick worthy. Lottery maybe but not top 3.

2 hours ago, bobblybook1 said:

Trae Young reminds me of RJ hunter. He just seems more bust worthy than the other guys. He’s not a blow by speed kinda guy anyway 

Way better than Conley will ever be. 

12 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Also, if we are going off of size, he’s taller and heavier than Mike Conley. 

He's playing with kids, lets wait for him to play with the big boys then lets talk again. lol