Allonzo Trier is out for Arizona.  Really hurts their title chances, but it could give DeAndre Ayton more shot attempts.  He will be more heavily defended, so we might see his TRUE potential in both the Pac-10 tournament and the NCAA tournament.  

I think draft boards done AFTER March Madness will have more validity.  I wanna see how these top prospects match up against REAL teams (and players).  And, they will be heavily scouted, too.  

I am not sure that this will be the best NBA draft in modern history -- or that it even won't be the WORST draft in modern history, but it should at least be very entertaining and intriguing.  

If Michael Porter, Jr. plays at least a few games from here on out, and if Bamba (Texas) and Young (OU) make the tourney, I think we will have a pretty good idea who will be in the top 5 and who will be in the top 10, although the competition for the top pick could go down to the wire.  

I'm not even sure I LOVE anybody in this draft.  

Here is one thing I would consider: if we end up with the 3rd or 4th pick, I would think about trading with Philly, picking up 10 and 18, Markelle Fultz, TJ McConnell, and a protected 2020 first round pick.  With this you AT LEAST get a known quantity in TJ McConnell as an ideal backup point guard now, who could turn into a legit starting point guard down the road, a solid 2nd tier type guy at 10, a fringe 2nd tier/high end 3rd tier guy at 18, and the massive upside of Markelle Fultz (although he also has MASSIVE downside and has had MASSIVE red flags for nearly a year).  

We go with more options, over potentially getting a unicorn player.  Philly gets it's fourth core guy to go with Embiid, Simmons, and Saric.  They are already paying a fifth guy (Robert Covington) fourth guy money (and have TWO players who will command first option money aka JoJo Freak and the Philly Freak), so something has to give...

And, who knows, a guy who might fit here, Mikal Bridges, or even Miles Bridges in the right system might be just as good as the 3rd or 4th pick in the WRONG SYSTEM.  

If this trade also involves a Tyreke Evans sign and trade, I think I would do Evans and the 3rd or 4th pick for 10, 18, Saric, McConnell, and a future pick.  They can keep Red Flag Fultz and give us Saric: he should fit in well with our other young guys.  If we play hard ball, maybe we can get BOTH Saric and Fultz plus 10 and 18 for 3/4 and Tyreke.  

Philly would then have a core of Embiid, Simmons, and our pick as their Unicorn Three with Tyreke Evans as their fourth option, Robert Covington as their fifth guy, with McConnell, Cabarot, Amir Johnson (if he resigns), and JJ Reddick (if he resigns) as their major bench guys.

Porter, Jr. looks like an ideal pick for them (although he could be too risky for us) as their 3rd option.  Simmons and Tyreke in the backcourt, with Porter at the 3 and Embiid at the 5 gives them a great core four.  They can then sign a free agent power forward (maybe they don't like Bagley III or Carter that much, and decide that Saric doesn't have enough upside), or look for a power forward in the 2nd round.  They then have a deep bench of McConnell, Reddick, Cabarot, Covington, and Amir Johnson.  

18 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

People are hyping him up like Issac last year. He's a role player like Ibaka.

The comparison for Jackson that I have found interesting is Karl Anthony Towns. According to his draft express profile, Towns is 7'0" with a 7'3.5" wingspan. According to ESPN.com, Jarren Jackson is 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan. At Kentucky, Towns played 21.1 minutes per game, averaging 10.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.1 apg, .5 steals, 2.3 blocks while shooting .566/.250/ .813 on FG, 3's, and FT. Jackson is currently playing 22 minutes per game, averaging 11.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, .6 steals, 3.3 blocks while shooting .535/ .434/ .785. Those numbers are similar enough to convince me the potential is there, when combined with what I see when he plays.

I guess but KAT was playing with like 5 future NBAers. Im not sure I see scorer when I watch Jaren Jackson.

The paint was extremely crowded with him, WCS and Trey all trying to get touches. Then you had Booker and the twins. I think they had Poythress too, another high profile recruit.

Also KAT wasnt featuted on the perimeter like Jackson is being allowed to and the perimeter is a strong point of KATs game.

My only concern with JJJ is that he is really really young. But he and Bamba are my top two.

Bamba has taken a step back and I am worried about his knees at the next level. More than a few players like him have had career ending injuries. Ralph Sampson, for example, so:

1. Jaren Jackson jr

2. Mohamad Bamba

19 hours ago, Dwash said:

I guess but KAT was playing with like 5 future NBAers. Im not sure I see scorer when I watch Jaren Jackson.

The paint was extremely crowded with him, WCS and Trey all trying to get touches. Then you had Booker and the twins. I think they had Poythress too, another high profile recruit.

Also KAT wasnt featuted on the perimeter like Jackson is being allowed to and the perimeter is a strong point of KATs game.

It's an eye test thing to see the difference.

KAT at Kentucky was definitely handcuffed and had more to show than he was allowed, similar to Anthony Davis. Jackson is being allowed to play at what he does best at MSU. 

Jevon Carter made history tonight. 

became the first major-conference player in NCAA history to record more than 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 500 assists and 300 steals in a career.

http://es.pn/2HJ9Otq

Deandre Ayton reminds me a lot of Boogie Cousins, in a bad and good way. Got all the talent in the world, but has an ego to go along with it. Ayton is about Ayton. 

Bagley has questions about his fit in today's NBA, and his lingering knee issue.  We shouldn't bank on finding someone who fits well with Gasol.  He'll be gone in the next 4 years.  So if we get #1 we definitely should consider Ayton, and especially if we get #2.

If we get #3, I'd like for us to look at Porter.  He'll have played a few games by then and I believe improved his stock and making scouts salivate.  His potential and body will be too much too pass up here for us I believe.  A 6'10" scoring machine is what we've always needed.

After him, if he's gone, my next option is Trae Young.  I think he would be put in the best position with us, with a chance to learn behind the most underrated PG of this era.  Mike will be gone soon and his injuries aren't getting better.  We need to find a star in this draft.  Role players aren't enough, and I believe Trae has a huge change of being a star.

After that, then I'd like us to look at Bagley.  His offensive and defensive versatility is too much to pass up.  People hate on his defense because he's not a rim protector, but his ability to switch onto all 5 positions and guard with great effect is a highly valued skill in today's NBA.

After Bagley, my prospects in order for us:

Jackson

Bamba

Carter

Mikal Bridges 

Sexton

On 2/23/2018 at 2:17 PM, Dwash said:

I see that as a double edge sword. Playing with other future pros would mean that they deserve more touches. It also means less attention could be given to KAT. I believe that was more of the situation than the first part. Per 40 mins, KAT averaged 12.5 fga where Jackson averages 12. Per 100 possessions, KAT averaged 19.5 fga and Jackson averages 17.4. So if you factor playing time or pace, KAT was still getting more shots than Jackson.

On 2/24/2018 at 6:11 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

My only concern with JJJ is that he is really really young. But he and Bamba are my top two.

Bamba has taken a step back and I am worried about his knees at the next level. More than a few players like him have had career ending injuries. Ralph Sampson, for example, so:

1. Jaren Jackson jr

2. Mohamad Bamba

While age is your concern with Jackson, it is part of why I am beginning to love him. To be doing what he is doing at his age is a positive sign of future success. It's also why I think so highly of Doncic. 

46 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I see that as a double edge sword. Playing with other future pros would mean that they deserve more touches. It also means less attention could be given to KAT. I believe that was more of the situation than the first part. Per 40 mins, KAT averaged 12.5 fga where Jackson averages 12. Per 100 possessions, KAT averaged 19.5 fga and Jackson averages 17.4. So if you factor playing time or pace, KAT was still getting more shots than Jackson.

Dont agree that the talent helped with my recollection of watching Kentucky. I said this at the time. "Better talent" can help but it hurts when its redundant talent. And that was the case when I saw three big men trying to do the same thing. Kentucky had a very stagnant offense, a lot of bullyball post moves and just crashing boards if you miss. And as also said, Cal handcuffed KATs perimeter game the same way he did Ant Davis.  KAT definetely had more to show but couldnt. KAT produces like Ayton does now on a better balanced college team centered around him inside and out.

On 2/25/2018 at 5:33 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

Deandre Ayton reminds me a lot of Boogie Cousins, in a bad and good way. Got all the talent in the world, but has an ego to go along with it. Ayton is about Ayton. 

Most great players have egos. Doesnt mean that they cant also  be team first. Why do you say that about Ayton?

I meant to put my miles Bridges Post in this post. And like I said I don't know what position she's going to play and I don't know how he would fit in but I do know that that guy is going to win some games for some team. He seems like the next Paul Pierce to me.

If I'm betting on anybody to become a superstar in this draft I'm betting on Miles Bridges and reluctantly Deandre ayton. Though I think Ayton is going to be more trouble than he's worth.

It’s funny because i think this draft class will boom/bust depending upon the situation the player is drafted into and developed. This includes most of the projected top 10.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If I'm betting on anybody to become a superstar in this draft I'm betting on Miles Bridges and reluctantly Deandre ayton. Though I think Ayton is going to be more trouble than he's worth.

You are truly dumb

2 hours ago, scooter said:

You are truly dumb

Maybe I am. But I was also one of the few who saw the potential in Andrew Harrison. I also wanted the grizzlies to draft Patrick Mccaw. You could also go back and see that I was one of the few who wanted to draft Larry Nance jr (most people don't even remember that I said this). I was also one of the few who liked Ivan Rabb. 

I did say that dejounte murray was going to be a bust based on his tattoos and I look pretty wrong there, and I advocated for Thabust. But I am pretty good at looking at talent. 

On 2/25/2018 at 10:10 PM, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Hopefully we get are 2020 pick and are able to get wiseman

I’d be happy if this was our Bron/Rose NBA gift.

16 hours ago, MemphisX said:

It’s funny because i think this draft class will boom/bust depending upon the situation the player is drafted into and developed. This includes most of the projected top 10.

I agree.

There is some talent in this thing. But, looks like a few high maintenance guys, too.

This might be one of the better drafts in the 4-8 range in NBA history, but that doesn't mean it will be the best OVERALL DRAFT in NBA history.  To me, the draft is a HIT if it has a GREAT 1-3 or at least a Shaq or Duncan or LeBron at the top.  Not in this draft. No Kevin Durant at 2 either.  Then the depth outside the mid/late first round doesn't look so hot either.  

So, this might end up being a sucker's bet at the top (1-3), a draft picker's value Moneyball draft in the mid-lotto (4-8 or 5-10), then a toss up from there.  Outside the 15-20 range you are still looking at two way G League types, guys who would be lucky to make an NBA roster.  You could get a rotation guy, maybe even a starter, but, odds are, you won't.  

I like to compare drafts to older drafts.

I was thinking: what was a famous/infamous draft that had a lot of big guys, but bigs with some question marks, with a few surrounded by controversy?

Well, I was in kindergarten that year, but this thing looks a bit like the 1986 Draft.

Best case scenario might be you get Small Ball Brad Daugherty (Wendell Carter, Jr.).

Or you bust out and get the next Chris Washburn (Ayton?), Len Bias (Jaren Jackson, Jr.), William Bedford (Bamba, but you are hoping Bamba is closer to Dennis Rodman), Michael Porter, Jr. (Chuck Person's shooting/scoring with Kenny "Sky" Walker's dunks/athleticism), Marvin Bagley III is the next Roy Tarpley, Nova's Mikal Bridges (Ron Harper)...  Luka Doncic might not be the next Bird or Rick Barry, maybe he is closer to a 1986 NBA Draft hybrid of Drazen Petrovic, Jeff Hornacek, and Nate McMillan.  Trae Young could be the next point guard MVP like Iverson or Steph. But, maybe he is a 1986 Draft combo of Mark Price and Dell Curry (which wouldn't be too bad).  

That '86 draft had a second round that saved it with Rodman, Price, as well as Sabonis.  I wouldn't count on a Sabonis this year.  Now, if you combined Ayton AND Bamba you might get Sabonis but that probably doesn't happen.  Ok, Sabonis was the last pick of the first round, but still.  

Ok, what are the odds that the Grizzlies, Kings, and Suns ALL TANK for a great draft?

Probably zero, right?

We WOULD all tank for an infamously busty draft, right????

On 2/24/2018 at 1:53 AM, MemphisX said:

My perfect rebuild sequence:

2018 Jaren Jackson Jr.

2019 Cam Reddish

2020 Scottie Lewis/Jalen Lecque

Like Reddish but so far to me RJ Barrett is the prize of that class. Go to wing scorer written all over him.

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Like Reddish but so far to me RJ Barrett is the prize of that class. Go to wing scorer written all over him.

My IDEAL rebuild would be Porter, Jr. here then Bol Bol next year.  That would assume that either Ayton/Bamba aren't on the board, or they don't impress our scouts that much.

I don't care WHO is injured.

The wheels are falling off this team and we are in for a big rebuild.

I would hope that at least one of Conley/Gasol is off the team by next year's trade deadline.  We REALLY need a first rounder next season.  

My IDEAL draft would be to get the top pick and trade down a bit to get one of Porter, Ayton, Bamba, Doncic, or Trae Young.  I think the number one pick this year is a trap -- or at least you can get more value by trading down.

The MONEYBALL part of this draft will be at picks 4 and 5.