On 2/9/2018 at 10:39 AM, WVgrizz said:

you guys need to watch this.. 

Sagaba Konate

Sorry, didn't really impress or inspire me. He looked kind of slow and he was telegraphing those blocks from a mile away. I don't see that happening in the NBA and that 260 lbs isn't muscle out there. 

I think and hope we will have a top 7 pick and hopefully a top 3. If we end up with a top 3 or 4 pick, Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Porter should be our choices. If we end up with a 5-7 pick, it will be one of Jackson, Young, Bamba. But the key is who will be in charge making the selection. If it is our current FO and owner, they will want to find someone to go with Mike and Marc and that Ayton, Bamba and Young will get less consideration. But if it is a new FO and perhaps a new owner, I hope they will go for the best talent available and that will open up more options.

I can understand why some people are not high on this draft.  Although the top players grade well.  Other than Young/Sexton, none project to be THE guy on a top NBA team.  Most are at best your #2 guy.  And since most are bigs, you are going to need a very good complimentary guard to go with them.

This weeks update (lol):

1.  Ayton - I still like him at #1.  I still see him more as David Robinson also.  Definitely not Shaq or even Zo Mourning.  Will need a guy with him to be the leader even though he will likely be the most talented and productive player on the team.

2. Doncic - The guy I think most teams will take #1 because he is out of sight and his flaws will be less exposed.  He would be a good fit with our current roster also at SF.

3. Porter - Rumblings starting that he may play this year and is likely the only other player I would take #1 from a talent perspective.  I am not as high on him because he is just so freaking stiff IMO.  He's athletic enough.  He can shoot it. However, he ain't no KD.  Not even close.

4. Young - Probably one of the few players that would get me to start buying season tickets again.  I think he is going to be a superstar in the NBA but I am not blinded to the risks that go with him.

5. Bagley - Another guy in the "lack of fluidity" club with Porter and Miles Bridges. I don't think this guy is Chris Bosh offensively but he is going to be at least a 16/10 guy almost immediately if given minutes.  His 2nd jump is elite even by NBA standards.

6. Bamba - If you have been watching this guy his offense has come a long way since last month even.  3pt shot has become more consistent.  Face up midrange jumper also.  Now taking people off the dribble.  Highest upside in the draft.

7. Jackson - If you watched the Purdue game, even though he had a bad game his impact was felt.  In fact, they almost lost because the coach put him on the bench for a guy who was getting murdered in the post. He's definitely a complimentary player though. Young but has a LONG way to go.

8. Sexton - A guy I have warmed up to a bit more.  Reminds me of Lowry but he already has a jumpshot.  High motor and competitive as heck. So if Lowry can lead a contending team, Sexton can also.

9. Knox - Where I talk about guys not being fluid, Knox does not have that issue.  He is a very fluid athlete.  His production is lacking a bit. His frame and skillset is perfect for the current NBA. Would feel better about him if his steals were higher and his ast/to ratio was better.

10. Miles Bridges - This guy is an small ball 4 to me.  I hope he is not drafted by a team that forces him into a wing.  He doesn't have the lateral movement to be successful on the wing.  I think his athleticism can help him succeed at PF though.

I think this is about as far as Grizz fans have to worry about.  Knox is a guy I really slept on.  I am warming up to him and expect him to climb farther up the more Cal lets him run point.  He has a little early Paul George in him.

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

I can understand why some people are not high on this draft.  Although the top players grade well.  Other than Young/Sexton, none project to be THE guy on a top NBA team.  Most are at best your #2 guy.  And since most are bigs, you are going to need a very good complimentary guard to go with them.

This weeks update (lol):

1.  Ayton - I still like him at #1.  I still see him more as David Robinson also.  Definitely not Shaq or even Zo Mourning.  Will need a guy with him to be the leader even though he will likely be the most talented and productive player on the team.

2. Doncic - The guy I think most teams will take #1 because he is out of sight and his flaws will be less exposed.  He would be a good fit with our current roster also at SF.

3. Porter - Rumblings starting that he may play this year and is likely the only other player I would take #1 from a talent perspective.  I am not as high on him because he is just so freaking stiff IMO.  He's athletic enough.  He can shoot it. However, he ain't no KD.  Not even close.

4. Young - Probably one of the few players that would get me to start buying season tickets again.  I think he is going to be a superstar in the NBA but I am not blinded to the risks that go with him.

5. Bagley - Another guy in the "lack of fluidity" club with Porter and Miles Bridges. I don't think this guy is Chris Bosh offensively but he is going to be at least a 16/10 guy almost immediately if given minutes.  His 2nd jump is elite even by NBA standards.

6. Bamba - If you have been watching this guy his offense has come a long way since last month even.  3pt shot has become more consistent.  Face up midrange jumper also.  Now taking people off the dribble.  Highest upside in the draft.

7. Jackson - If you watched the Purdue game, even though he had a bad game his impact was felt.  In fact, they almost lost because the coach put him on the bench for a guy who was getting murdered in the post. He's definitely a complimentary player though. Young but has a LONG way to go.

8. Sexton - A guy I have warmed up to a bit more.  Reminds me of Lowry but he already has a jumpshot.  High motor and competitive as heck. So if Lowry can lead a contending team, Sexton can also.

9. Knox - Where I talk about guys not being fluid, Knox does not have that issue.  He is a very fluid athlete.  His production is lacking a bit. His frame and skillset is perfect for the current NBA. Would feel better about him if his steals were higher and his ast/to ratio was better.

10. Miles Bridges - This guy is an small ball 4 to me.  I hope he is not drafted by a team that forces him into a wing.  He doesn't have the lateral movement to be successful on the wing.  I think his athleticism can help him succeed at PF though.

I think this is about as far as Grizz fans have to worry about.  Knox is a guy I really slept on.  I am warming up to him and expect him to climb farther up the more Cal lets him run point.  He has a little early Paul George in him.

nice post

19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Wendell Carter. Saw him again yesterday. The world is sleeping on this dude.

Agree that’s where a mid 1st could have come in handy (not that we were offered one)

50 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Wendell Carter. Saw him again yesterday. The world is sleeping on this dude.

Yep. Him and Knox imo. 

If we get a top 2 pick we should do what Boston did and trade down to 4 or 5 and get another first pick next year.  Especially since we might not have a pick next year. Porter, Young, and Bagley should all still be on the board by then.

52 minutes ago, Parsons_Refund said:

If we get a top 2 pick we should do what Boston did and trade down to 4 or 5 and get another first pick next year.  Especially since we might not have a pick next year. Porter, Young, and Bagley should all still be on the board by then.

I mentioned this idea and got lit in to. This draft has great talent but none  them are obvious generational talents. If Grizzlies landed the number 1 or 2, I'd trade back to 4-5 and try to pull a 1st rounder away from a team that will still be bad in next few years like Atlanta, Sacramento, Phoenix, or Orlando. You are still going to get a huge talent at 4-5.

They can even do this by drafting whoever become the consensus number 1 pick then make a trade that night to get the guy they really want. Say they take Ayton or Doncic but really want Bagley then they could easily make that move and pick up an extra asset.

26 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I mentioned this idea and got lit in to. This draft has great talent but none  them are obvious generational talents. If Grizzlies landed the number 1 or 2, I'd trade back to 4-5 and try to pull a 1st rounder away from a team that will still be bad in next few years like Atlanta, Sacramento, Phoenix, or Orlando. You are still going to get a huge talent at 4-5.

They can even do this by drafting whoever become the consensus number 1 pick then make a trade that night to get the guy they really want. Say they take Ayton or Doncic but really want Bagley then they could easily make that move and pick up an extra asset.

It's a brilliant move.  I don't see why anyone would be against it except maybe the Doncic d-riders.  But I just checked FiveThirtyEight's latest predictions and they have us finishing tied for the 4th-worst record with the Nets.  I think I'd be good with that.  I'd rather not be tied with anyone cause you know we aren't winning that coin flip.

Interesting stuff.

With Trae Young, I am just thinking, "the PEAK of the Small Ball Era looks like Chris Wallace going after Trae so we can go with the Conley-Trae Young back court."  Trae Young also is a potential high maintenance Snowflake chucker.

Potential unicorns: Porter, Jr. Bamba.

IF Big Boy Ball is back (along with the NEED for a rim runner and rim PROTECTOR who can also hit the 3) then I think Bamba looks really, really good.  

Would LOVE to get BOTH Porter, Jr. AND Bamba (both potential unicorns with mega upside -- odds are AT LEAST ONE hits, then if you are REALLY lucky you have TWO unicorns on your team with some decent cheap talent around it), and if I have to trade The Catalonian Coach Killer aka Marc Mikan to do it -- then I do it.  Let the veteran MASH Unit of Conley and Parsons figure it out -- preferably on the second unit.

Try to move some other guys to get a late first or something next year then if we have our own pick in 2020 go after an alpha guard to go with the Porter, Jr./Bamba combo.

Although if Doncic has just enough speed and athleticism then a Doncic-Bamba two man game would be VERY interesting.  IF we keep Tyreke then Conley, Reke Freak, Brooks, and Doncic would be a very impressive wing rotation.  

Trae Young might only be a poor man's Steph Curry just as the league goes BIG again.

Draft Night: What I WANT: Chris Wallace working the phones trying to move El Big Ticket.  The Grizzlies finance department working the spreadsheets on us buying either a late first round pick or an early second round pick.  

This is the draft where you try really hard to get TWO top 8-10 picks.  You start stocking the new core out of THIS draft, with Dillon Brooks, Deyonta Davis, Rabb/J Mart, Kobi Simmons, and whoever else being cheap young depth.  We need to start looking past Conley, Gasol, and Parsons.  At LEAST one of those guys needs to be in the rear view mirror by draft night (at the very least, stretch Parsons, then try to shop him for a less bad contract even if we have to throw a second rounder and some cash in there).  I think Mike Conley is a time bomb.

Was listening to Jonathan Givony from Draftexpress (now ESPN ugh) on Parrish earlier and he's got Doncic and Ayton as the clear #1 and #2 in this class. Sounded like he favors Doncic - raved about him. I loved Doncic before but I guess I didn't realize the magnitude of the level he's playing at and the numbers he's putting up in Europe - far better than any Euro prospect ever.

Said after the lottery it's a wasteland. We picked a really good year to suck.

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Was listening to Jonathan Givony from Draftexpress (now ESPN ugh) on Parrish earlier and he's got Doncic and Ayton as the clear #1 and #2 in this class. Sounded like he favors Doncic - raved about him. I loved Doncic before but I guess I didn't realize the magnitude of the level he's playing at and the numbers he's putting up in Europe - far better than any Euro prospect ever.

Said after the lottery it's a wasteland. We picked a really good year to suck.

Agree. Very good season to suck. Honestly, I'm paying more attention now thinking about picks and the future than watching the team slowly die the past couple of years 

I just want to get a top 3 pick 

On 2/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, ALT GRIND said:

The Grizzlies finance department working the spreadsheets on us buying either a late first round pick or an early second round pick.  

Based on what they did last year, and the fact they didn't trade Tyreke for 2nd rounders, I think they will be buying a 2nd rounder if they think there is value there (they already have 2 2nd picks though). I could see them picking 2, and keeping 1, just like last year.

14 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Based on what they did last year, and the fact they didn't trade Tyreke for 2nd rounders, I think they will be buying a 2nd rounder if they think there is value there (they already have 2 2nd picks though). I could see them picking 2, and keeping 1, just like last year.

As long as they don't give guaranteed money to the one they don't keep, I'm fine with it.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:54 PM, The Stro Show said:

I would try and trade Benny Mac, a future 2nd rounder, and Cash Considerations for a low 2nd rounder on draft night. Can’t stand him.

It'd be easier to just cut him.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:59 PM, Parsons_Refund said:

You only trade back if you truly believe the guy you want is going to be where you trade back to. Boston only did the trade because they knew Philly would take Fultz and LA would take Lonzo. Boston wanted Tatum all along. Why not pick up assets at the same time? If the team feels like whoever they have at 1 or 2 is a superstar, you don't pass that up.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Draft Night: What I WANT: Chris Wallace working the phones trying to move El Big Ticket.  The Grizzlies finance department working the spreadsheets on us buying either a late first round pick or an early second round pick.  

This is the draft where you try really hard to get TWO top 8-10 picks.  You start stocking the new core out of THIS draft, with Dillon Brooks, Deyonta Davis, Rabb/J Mart, Kobi Simmons, and whoever else being cheap young depth.  We need to start looking past Conley, Gasol, and Parsons.  At LEAST one of those guys needs to be in the rear view mirror by draft night (at the very least, stretch Parsons, then try to shop him for a less bad contract even if we have to throw a second rounder and some cash in there).  I think Mike Conley is a time bomb.

I don't see anything on our roster capable of getting us another lottery pick

I see this draft shaping up like many drafts with certain tiers of players.  Although the amount of players in each range may vary, all drafts are like this imo in some way.

First tier - High ceiling with high/medium floor.   I put Ayton, Bagley, Doncic and Porter in this class.  Simply put, all have superstar potential, but it's hard not to imagine all of them being solid contributors at the minimum.

Second tier - High ceiling with medium/low floor - Mo Bamba, Jackson and Trey Young.   Honestly, I hate picks like this.  They are high up because something about them makes people think that they could be a superstar.  They have first tier "potential." But they have such flaws/drawbacks in their game and appear to be at risk to struggle early on.  Bamba and Jackson are raw offensively and you just don't know what they will become.  If I am picking in this group after the big 4, I would look at trading down.

Third tier - Medium ceiling with medium floor - Wendell Carter, Kevin Knox, Collin Sexson, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges.  I really like this group more than the second tier.  They are third tier because they don't scream superstar.  But they look like NBA ready guys, (eg. Donovan Mitchell).  They already have the build for the league and they have strong skill sets.

Fourth tier - Medium ceiling with low floor - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Robert Williams, Hamodou Diallo, Trey Duval, Troy Brown, etc....honestly about the rest of the draft on into the second round.  Just a crapshoot at this point.  Any of these guys could go anywhere from late lottery to second round.  None are perceived to have superstar potential.  A few will swim and most will sink.

Just get me in the first or third tier and I'm good.  Please don't go for the homerun if it's not there.  Avoid "project" players.  Just go for a nice skilled potential two way player that will most likely be highly productive from the get go.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I see this draft shaping up like many drafts with certain tiers of players.  Although the amount of players in each range may vary, all drafts are like this imo in some way.

First tier - High ceiling with high/medium floor.   I put Ayton, Bagley, Doncic and Porter in this class.  Simply put, all have superstar potential, but it's hard not to imagine all of them being solid contributors at the minimum.

Second tier - High ceiling with medium/low floor - Mo Bamba, Jackson and Trey Young.   Honestly, I hate picks like this.  They are high up because something about them makes people think that they could be a superstar.  They have first tier "potential." But they have such flaws/drawbacks in their game and appear to be at risk to struggle early on.  Bamba and Jackson are raw offensively and you just don't know what they will become.  If I am picking in this group after the big 4, I would look at trading down.

Third tier - Medium ceiling with medium floor - Wendell Carter, Kevin Knox, Collin Sexson, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges.  I really like this group more than the second tier.  They are third tier because they don't scream superstar.  But they look like NBA ready guys, (eg. Donovan Mitchell).  They already have the build for the league and they have strong skill sets.

Fourth tier - Medium ceiling with low floor - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Robert Williams, Hamodou Diallo, Trey Duval, Troy Brown, etc....honestly about the rest of the draft on into the second round.  Just a crapshoot at this point.  Any of these guys could go anywhere from late lottery to second round.  None are perceived to have superstar potential.  A few will swim and most will sink.

Just get me in the first or third tier and I'm good.  Please don't go for the homerun if it's not there.  Avoid "project" players.  Just go for a nice skilled potential two way player that will most likely be highly productive from the get go.

I would combine your 1st and 2nd tiers and call it the 1 1/2 Tier: no surefire superstar but some high level guys.  So, Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Jr., Bamba, Jackson, Jr., and Trae Young in the same tier.  None of these guys are flawless.  Supposedly Bamba is "raw" but his stats are there and has hit a few 3's -- at a better clip at the turn of the calendar year than Trae Young.  Then, maybe after that you have a third tier. 

One guy I would put in the 4th tier would be Grayson Allen.  Lots of flaws, but solid athlete and he can get buckets.  Could end up being a solid third guard.  At worst a 10th guy.  Would probably end up killing the G League.  

Fifth tier: Probably 25 to 50 guys.  We have our choice of fifth tier guys with our 2nd rounder.  I would go for NEED here.  Or, a draft and stash?  My default answer would be to get the guy who can shoot the best, or, at worst, the LEAST BAD.  

If I have the top pick, I would bring all the bigs in and let them battle it out.  You couldn't really go to wrong with going with the guy who looks the best in work outs.  If I wanted a perimeter guy I would put Doncic and Porter, Jr. head to head, then go with the more impressive looking player.  I would bring in Trae Young if I wanted to trade down.  I would also bring in some lotto point guards like Sexton and Duval plus 2nd round guys (or undrafted) like Jalen Bruson and Chris Chiozza.  See if they can give Trae Young a run for his money.  If I thought about trading down no matter what I would have Miles Bridges battle the bigs AND the top two wings (Doncic and Porter, Jr.) to see how he fares.  If he can hold his own (or better) against BOTH the top shelf bigs and the top shelf wings then he might be a player to go after.  Short answer: if our draft guys think like you do, better to get Trae Young (who is falling back down the draft boards a bit) AND Miles Bridges than roll the dice on an upside/downside Tier 2 (or Tier 1 1/2) player.

I don't get all the Doncic hype.  Somebody clue me in.  Then again, I am a Bamba guy (or Porter, Jr.), not totally sold on Trae Young, and think that Grayson Allen could be in the discussion at 15.

I seperate Ayton and Bagley from Jackson and Bamba because I would be pretty shocked if Ayton and Bagley arent productive NBA players, even if they arent all stars. I wouldnt be that shocked if Bamba and Jackson became Thomas Robinson or Marquiss Chriss or Noah Vonley or Thon Maker or some other athletic nobody that never got much better or just a borderline starter.

Jackson’s production is more in line with KAT at Kentucky. Unfortunately the team he plays on is deeper and can afford to play him out of position at PF.