Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2017 Free agents and trades

25 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Uhhh, when?

Strong defense Top 2-3 at our highest and middling to low offense was our identity.   C'mon man you know this. 

11 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

Well we have to assume that coz if he cannot be healthy this season, the trajectory of the franchise is doomed short term.

I'm not exactly sure about that. Conley and Gasol are among the top 25 players in the league according to the NBA Math website. Two top 25 players probably makes the team a playoff team regardless of the rest of the players on the team, especially since they play such important positions. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Strong defense Top 2-3 at our highest and middling to low offense was our identity.   C'mon man you know this. 

We had the signature defense in the league for half a decade and a top halfcourt offense.

But utah don't have grit n grind mentality, and they certainly couldn't execute like the grizzlies when it counts.

They beat the clippers, which wasn't that big of a feat.

But I do agree that they probably make the playoffs still.

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

We had the signature defense in the league for half a decade and a top halfcourt offense.

But utah don't have grit n grind mentality, and they certainly couldn't execute like the grizzlies when it counts.

They beat the clippers, which wasn't that big of a feat.

But I do agree that they probably make the playoffs still.

Making the playoffs was my only argument.  It has been repeatedly shown throughout the years that a top tier defense gets you into the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yeah, but we still had a dependable scoring option in Zach, and Rudy too before he was traded, as well as a developing Marc Gasol and Mike Conley.  As KBM stated, we had a very good half-court offense which is critical in playoff basketball.  I really don't see Utah having that much, but as one who appreciates defense more than your average fan I could see them being better than my expectation, plus the return on the Hayward sign and trade is not known.

14 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'm not exactly sure about that. Conley and Gasol are among the top 25 players in the league according to the NBA Math website. Two top 25 players probably makes the team a playoff team regardless of the rest of the players on the team, especially since they play such important positions. 

There's a big drop off after those 2 except for Parsons. Especially with these many young players, Parsons will have to produce for us to be successful in the next couple years.

12 minutes ago, BaldWadewin said:

Been trying to read up on Deyonta. He did sseem to block quite a few shots in the D/G league...but is he ready for a rotation role, approx 15 minutes a game? 

Great question. Whether he's ready or not, he'll get the opportunity most likely. 

10 playoffs made.

7 first round exits (3 in the last 4 years) - would have been 4 except Griz beat a bad Portland team.

The trend is negative and is not getting better.

Agreed. But tell me how often a team with two of the top 25 players statistically in the league failed to make the playoffs? 

Just now, chipc3 said:

Great question. Whether he's ready or not, he'll get the opportunity most likely. 

Only now noticed we're supposed to talk about OTHER teams here, my bad!

1 minute ago, GamesOut said:

10 playoffs made.

7 first round exits (3 in the last 4 years) - would have been 4 except Griz beat a bad Portland team.

A team with Lillard, McCollum and Aldridge is now considered bad?

Dirk signs a 2 year deal with Mav's for 10 mil. 2nd year is a team option. What the heck, is Cuban afraid of Dirk screwing them for a whopping 5 mil after all he has meant to that franchise?

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Agreed. But tell me how often a team with two of the top 25 players statistically in the league failed to make the playoffs? 

I'm not saying they won't make the POs. They most likely will as a 7th-8th seed. For the franchise to do any better, we need Parsons to perform in the short term until the new guys come around to producing consistently. My original comment to your post had nothing to do with making the POs but the short term trajectory of the franchise :)

10 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

10 playoffs made.

That's BS. The trend was not to make the playoffs at all (1995-96 to 2002-03), then to make the playoffs only to get swept (2003-04 to 2005-06). Then 4 more years of missing the playoffs. Which brings the team to the current 7 year run of making the playoffs which would be 7 playoff appearances, 3 hard fought first round losses and one throw out playoff where the team was injured. The trend is not that bad recently and significantly better than the history of the team which includes 12 years of failing to make the playoffs sandwiching three straight playoff sweeps. I'll take the 7 years of mixed success over the 15 previous seasons any day.  

4 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

A team with Lillard, McCollum and Aldridge is now considered bad?

Maybe not bad, but worse than us.  Portland has won 7 playoff games in the last 6 years, so they are not very good.

2 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

I'm not saying they won't make the POs. They most likely will as a 7th-8th seed. For the franchise to do any better, we need Parsons to perform in the short term until the new guys come around to producing consistently. My original comment to your post had nothing to do with making the POs but the short term trajectory of the franchise :)

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but honestly, would Parsons playing much better and the new guys stepping up from last season alter the reality of a 1st round exit? Can you see this team, as it is constructed, beating a healthy Spurs, Thunder, Warriors or Rockets in a 7 game series? The best hope would be the Spurs or Thunder I suppose but the Thunder added a superstud to their team without sacrificing anything and the Spurs have the best coach in the NBA. 

Personally I don't see the team missing the playoffs is all I said. I have no expectations of the team advancing this season with the talent in the West being what it is. Would love to be proven wrong however. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

That's BS. The trend was not to make the playoffs at all (1995-96 to 2002-03), then to make the playoffs only to get swept (2003-04 to 2005-06). Then 4 more years of missing the playoffs. Which brings the team to the current 7 year run of making the playoffs which would be 7 playoff appearances, 3 hard fought first round losses and one throw out playoff where the team was injured. The trend is not that bad recently and significantly better than the history of the team which includes 12 years of failing to make the playoffs sandwiching three straight playoff sweeps. I'll take the 7 years of mixed success over the 15 previous seasons any day.  

I would guess that about 75% of the board knew that the 2016-2017 playoff series would end in the first round.  This seems a lot higher than in previous seasons when there was more hope about getting out of the first round.

If you compare previous 7 years to the last, you may be right.

Right now, people are basically in a couple of boats.  Ride the wheels off completely and lose in the first round or trade assets and miss playoffs.  Neither trend is not optimistic.

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but honestly, would Parsons playing much better and the new guys stepping up from last season alter the reality of a 1st round exit? Can you see this team, as it is constructed, beating a healthy Spurs, Thunder, Warriors or Rockets in a 7 game series? The best hope would be the Spurs or Thunder I suppose but the Thunder added a superstud to their team without sacrificing anything and the Spurs have the best coach in the NBA. 

Personally I don't see the team missing the playoffs is all I said. I have no expectations of the team advancing this season with the talent in the West being what it is. Would love to be proven wrong however. 

A healthy Parsons could be the difference maker IMO between a low seed and a 4-5 seed. A match up against the Thunder is a lot better than a match up against the top 3 teams IMO

3 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

I would guess that about 75% of the board knew that the 2016-2017 playoff series would end in the first round.  This seems a lot higher than in previous seasons when there was more hope about getting out of the first round.

If you compare previous 7 years to the last, you may be right.

Right now, people are basically in a couple of boats.  Ride the wheels off completely and lose in the first round or trade assets and miss playoffs.  Neither trend is not optimistic.

75% of the board may have assumed the Grizzlies would lose to the 2nd best team in the league. Very few expected the series to go 6 games and was **** close to going 7. 

And the number of believers was far higher last season than the previous playoff appearance (also against the Spurs) when people on the boards were screaming for the team to miss the playoffs rather than face the Spurs or Warriors despite the team not having a 1st round draft pick. 

1 minute ago, grizz1016 said:

A healthy Parsons could be the difference maker IMO between a low seed and a 4-5 seed. A match up against the Thunder is a lot better than a match up against the top 3 teams IMO

I would definitely prefer to play whoever finished 4th in the West over a team finishing higher. a healthy Parsons could help that happen. I just don't believe Parsons or the rookies are enough to 'expect' an advance out of the 1st round. 

But like I have always said, I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll be there cheering either way. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

75% of the board may have assumed the Grizzlies would lose to the 2nd best team in the league. Very few expected the series to go 6 games and was **** close to going 7. 

And the number of believers was far higher last season than the previous playoff appearance (also against the Spurs) when people on the boards were screaming for the team to miss the playoffs rather than face the Spurs or Warriors despite the team not having a 1st round draft pick. 

The math says differently.

Wins.JPG

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I would definitely prefer to play whoever finished 4th in the West over a team finishing higher. a healthy Parsons could help that happen. I just don't believe Parsons or the rookies are enough to 'expect' an advance out of the 1st round. 

But like I have always said, I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll be there cheering either way. 

Just a matter of increasing our chances advancing in the POs. We f'd around last season and ended up with a seed that made it really hard to advance. I really believe that had we ended up higher than 7th, we would have advanced out of the 1st round. If we then ended up playing let's say a Parker-less Spurs, then things would have gotten interesting. We didn't take the regular season seriously enough and paid the price.

IMO if we play the Thunder this season, we would win in 6 or lose in 7. 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

People keep assuming the grizzlies will be  a 45 Win team at best. 

I'm not certain that will be the case. I think the Grizz could easily win 50+ games.

People also assume that the grizzlies can't win a series, which I don't believe that to be the case. The grizzlies could be better this year than last year. We will have to see.

3 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

The math says differently.

Wins.JPG

This has nothing to do with your allegation that fewer people expected to win in this year's playoffs series than last year's years. Last year's team was sailing along until injuries derailed the team in January. The team in the playoffs was a shadow of the team that posted that season record.

Let's agree to disagree on your statement that fewer people expected to advance last season than the previous season. When you change the parameters of your own argument you are admitting you lost your original argument after all.