Sign in to follow this  
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Its up to the GM to actually decide if its going to work out BEFORE he makes the move. If it doesnt work out, the fall is still on him. Dont just take his recommendations. You decide if he can coach the roster YOU think will be successful in the offseason. If he cant coach this roster, thats when he should be let go. Thats how a real organization works. They make the roster calls, then find the coach that can work with it.

Basically, firing a coach for roster decisions is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

They didn't fire him for roster decisions.  They fired him because he antagonized the best players on the roster.  If Greg Popovich had antagonized Robinson, Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili SAS would have fired him too.  Every franchise would do the same.

22 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

They didn't fire him for roster decisions.  They fired him because he antagonized the best players on the roster.  If Greg Popovich had antagonized Robinson, Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili SAS would have fired him too.  Every franchise would do the same.

Heck no, dead wrong, I have seen an interview with all of them where Duncan, Ginobili and Parker were together and said that Popovich will get on their tales in a heartbeat. Parker said that when he was young he saw Duncan being roasted by Popovich and Duncan didnt snap back. He said that this set the example that if a NBA great can handle criticism, so can he. They take being "antagonized" like men and move on. Marc is just a sensitive baby with subpar talent for a superstar. 

This board is unreal. This team is complete slaw and has terrible talent, yet so many keep drinking this FO koolaid. They fire the coach because of his roster decisions and because had the gall to actually critique the teams best player. How in the world can you be a coach telling everyone they are perfect? Phil Jackson had no problem going in on Kobe or MJ. His first move as coach was to let them know that the selfishness had to go. He knew they wanted to win, had heart and wouldnt fold up like beeches.

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Marc talking about Zach after the game:

"So many thing go through your head, so many emotions," Gasol said. "Truly a brother. We made each other better when we were playing together, we made each other better in practice when we battled each other. I miss him every day."

Thanks Fizdale

He needs to grow up if he seriously needs an older brother still.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Its up to the GM to actually decide if its going to work out BEFORE he makes the move. If it doesnt work out, the fall is still on him. Dont just take his recommendations. You decide if he can coach the roster YOU think will be successful in the offseason. If he cant coach this roster, thats when he should be let go. Thats how a real organization works. They make the roster calls, then find the coach that can work with it.

Basically, firing a coach for roster decisions is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

Lol exactly. That's some toddler ****.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Whattt?  That's like where Fizdale pulled that card from, Greg Popovich.  Popovich antagonized his players all the time, and publicly.  

Much of the posters have truly taken on the diva mindset of Gasol himself.  Talk about soft 

'Don't you dare hurt his feelings!'

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Heck no, dead wrong, I have seen an interview with all of them where Duncan, Ginobili and Parker were together and said that Popovich will get on their tales in a heartbeat. Parker said that when he was young he saw Duncan being roasted by Popovich and Duncan didnt snap back. He said that this set the example that if a NBA great can handle criticism, so can he. They take being "antagonized" like men and move on. Marc is just a sensitive baby with subpar talent for a superstar. 

Popovich will bench his starters or a single starter in the first 2 minutes if they come out looking lackadaisical.  Memphis fans, I tell ya, the bubble is real.

My *** Popovich would never bench Marc, especially if the bench was out playing.  Our fringe stars are just pampered, always have been.  Marc is pampered like an actual baby. Tony was pampered with.  It's not a winning mindset.  But it's the mindset of Chris Wallace and some posters on this board.

Was Pop doing that early in his second season or did that happen after they had success?

Pops is good at communicating with his players- Fizz flamed out in a power struggle.

, comparing Fizz to Pops is silly imo

marc is still a diva but fizz wasn't special 

2 minutes ago, guillermo said:

Was Pop doing that early in his second season or did that happen after they had success?

Pops is good at communicating with his players- Fizz flamed out in a power struggle.

, comparing Fizz to Pops is silly imo

marc is still a diva but fizz wasn't special 

Read above. A poster said if Popovich ever antagonized Duncan, Parker, Ginobili he would be fired to. 

32 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

Read above. A poster said if Popovich ever antagonized Duncan, Parker, Ginobili he would be fired to. 

Lol. Hilarious man

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

That's a different situation.  You're talking about how a coach earned the respect of his players and they respond well to that.  If Pops had come in and not done that and lost those guys he would have been fired.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

That's a different situation.  You're talking about how a coach earned the respect of his players and they respond well to that.  If Pops had come in and not done that and lost those guys he would have been fired.

How do you think he earned that respect?    Lionel did the same thing too and he hadnt won any rings as a coach.   Yall are delusional if you believe a young coach doesn't have the right to discipline any of his players.   Blatant favoritism tears up locker-rooms too. 

Besides Marc has alluded to it several times - it was a personal issue between He and Fizz.   Marc said in his own interview that he NEVER DISAGREED WITH FIZZ ON COURT COACHING.    I implore you guys to just actually listen to Marc's own words. 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

How do you think he earned that respect?    Lionel did the same thing too and he hadnt won any rings as a coach.   Yall are delusional if you believe a young coach doesn't have the right to discipline any of his players.   Blatant favoritism tears up locker-rooms too. 

Besides Marc has alluded to it several times - it was a personal issue between He and Fizz.   Marc said in his own interview that he NEVER DISAGREED WITH FIZZ ON COURT COACHING.    I implore you guys to just actually listen to Marc's own words. 

You misunderstand.  I'm not saying Marc was right or wrong, or Fizzdale was right or wrong.  I'm saying that FOs in general will side with the player over the coach.

17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You misunderstand.  I'm not saying Marc was right or wrong, or Fizzdale was right or wrong.  I'm saying that FOs in general will side with the player over the coach.

Okay i got ya.  Well then my rant shouldnt have been directed at you but to the others who still are arguing over Fizz.   

Personally fiz hasnt proven enough for me to be butthurt over losing him.  I just want people to understand all the facts first.  This entire mess truly falls at the feet of the FO.  Put the blame where it belongs.

31 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Lol wth you are the one that bought up Popovich and the Spurs. I am just pointing out that I saw an interview (its on youtube) that he does antagonize his star players.

You want to know the REAL sign of a weak coach? One who can only lay into players on the bottom of the food chain but dances around the stars and is afraid to critique them for the same issues. TRUST ME when I tell you, everyone in the room sniffs that out and that coach gets no respect from his team and never will.

As GTF said, there is no other route to be a good coach and discipline his players. Really if he thinks Gasol isnt giving effort or whatever he isnt doing right and says nothing....then how can he critique his younger players?? How can he get their respect?

You can try to avoid who is right and who is wrong, but Im not. If the issue was that Gasol didnt like being criticized then Gasol was the one that was wrong for throwing a hissy fit. If Wallace and company cosign on this behavior then they are the problem. Period. I dont care how you think it normally plays out I am telling you who the problem is.

All good coaches critique their stars, the chain starts with them. You guys are just confused because real competitors can take it and let it make them better and Marc was the softy who made it an issue. Now yall think thats normal and dont understand that well run teams have coaches who criticize stars regularly.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Lol wth you are the one that bought up Popovich and the Spurs. I am just pointing out that I saw an interview (its on youtube) that he does antagonize his star players.

You want to know the REAL sign of a weak coach? One who can only lay into players on the bottom of the food chain but dances around the stars and is afraid to critique them for the same issues. TRUST ME when I tell you, everyone in the room sniffs that out and that coach gets no respect from his team and never will.

As GTF said, there is no other route to be a good coach and discipline his players. Really if he thinks Gasol isnt giving effort or whatever he isnt doing right and says nothing....then how can he critique his younger players?? How can he get their respect?

You can try to avoid who is right and who is wrong, but Im not. If the issue was that Gasol didnt like being criticized then Gasol was the one that was wrong for throwing a hissy fit. If Wallace and company cosign on this behavior then they are the problem. Period. I dont care how you think it normally plays out I am telling you who the problem is.

All good coaches critique their stars, the chain starts with them. You guys are just confused because real competitors can take it and let it make them better and Marc was the softy who made it an issue. Now yall think thats normal and dont understand that well run teams have coaches who criticize stars regularly.

I agree that good coaches get on to their star players and call them out when they do wrong, but I'm not going to argue with you.  You've made up your mind that Gasol was the problem.  I'm not as certain as you about that, and Fizzdale didn't show me much.  Maybe he will end up being a great coach, IDK, I just hope it's never at the Grizzlies' expense.

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

It’s stupid to think a GM won’t take the coaches recommendations and try to provide him with a roster he prefers. Otherwise the GM-Coach relationship would be fractured. 

34 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

It’s stupid to think a GM won’t take the coaches recommendations and try to provide him with a roster he prefers. Otherwise the GM-Coach relationship would be fractured. 

Honestly, I used to think this but a lot of ex-coaches and current have said that what the GM decides is entirely up to them, a lot of the time they are a bit unhappy with the moves but have to deal with the cards they are dealt.

2 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

He can take recommendations. From coaches, players, owners, fans or whoever...when he is given the power of the final call...having a poor roster is on him. He doesnt have to keep the coach (while he is building) if he doesnt like the roster he wants.  There are other options besides just giving the coach what he wants. He can build what he wants then get a coach for what he wants.

The problem here: Wallace himself has no direction.

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

He can take recommendations. From coaches, players, owners, fans or whoever...when he is given the power of the final call...having a poor roster is on him. He doesnt have to keep the coach (while he is building) if he doesnt like the roster he wants.  There are other options besides just giving the coach what he wants. He can build what he wants then get a coach for what he wants.

The problem here: Wallace himself has no direction.

Agree about Wallace. He needs to go as well.