Sign in to follow this  
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

Just curious but does Gasol's level of play go up when Conley returns? 

6 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep at this point trading Gasol or Tyreke to Cavs is a pipedream.    They don't need either one of them.   IMHO Boston, Toronto, Milwaukee, and Portland are the only realistic landing spots for Marc based on need. 

Looks like that is similar to these proposals

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2018/1/5/16853322/gbb-roundtable-trading-with-the-memphis-grizzlies-nba-trade-rumors

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Marc's trade kicker is 15% or less than $3M. That's not going to stop a trade from going down. At those salary levels that probably fits in the wiggle room for salary differences.

Trade kickers are for the remainder of the deal, not one season of the contract. That would put Marc's at 10.8 mil which the Grizzlies would have to pay. If Wallace pays 10.8 mil to get fleeced by Ainge then I'm riding shotgun when KBM rolls out his windowless van to pay Wallace a visit! (just kidding with that last part so don't call the cops on me)

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

You are aware that LeBron can play PF next to Gasol correct? Gasol/Love is infinitely better than Thompson/Love. Reke is better than any wing they have also. So....

Lol KD was not there when Thompson/Love beat them. Thats the new problem. Did you miss the finals last year where this duo was basically unplayable against them due to being too slow?  You seem fixated on offense, but defensively Gasol is probably slower than Thompson now on the perimeter.

Why do you think Love starts at C now? Cause they know Lebron has to play all 4 and some 5 against Draymond. Defensively, this is their only hope.

And if you have to reduce a Love or Gasol to a part time or bench player...whats the point? 

Reke could help them. But he isnt that valuable trade wise and Gasol is the meat of the trade.

A talented wing would be a big help for them. I dont know, just seems to me like they would put all of their resources towards players that help them against the death lineup. Crazy me.

3 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Trade kickers are for the remainder of the deal, not one season of the contract. That would put Marc's at 10.8 mil which the Grizzlies would have to pay. If Wallace pays 10.8 mil to get fleeced by Ainge then I'm riding shotgun when KBM rolls out his windowless van to pay Wallace a visit! (just kidding with that last part so don't call the cops on me)

Not counting non exercised player option years (and Marc's last year is a PO), so the total bonus would only be 15% of Marc's remaining salary from this season plus all of next season, so more like $5.3M. But that money won't be counted against the Grizzlies' cap so it's just a matter of how much of his money Pera is willing to spend (and given the whole Zagorac fiasco, which does impact our cap, it looks like CW has a lot of freedom to throw away good money).

But my point is the added impact of the trade kicker in the incoming salary is minimal for the team acquiring Marc (the cap hit would be split between this season and the next as both are 100% guaranteed) assuming the trade is sending salary back to Memphis, because the trade rules already allow a 25% difference between incoming and outgoing salaries at Marc's salary level.

Of course if the receiving team intends to absorb all of Marc's salary using their cap space the kicker may be just big enough to make it impossible, but I don't think there's any realistic scenario in which a team with that much cap space would be interested in Marc.

18 hours ago, Dwash said:

So taking Crowder off the court for Gasol so Lebron has to guard KD full time is how you keep Lebron fresh?

Kerr has shown he will start that death lineup and play it most of the game in the 2015 Finals if he has too. They wont give up a piece like the Brooklyn pick if it doesnt help against the versatility of the death lineup.  Thats really just common sense. Lebrons resting wont matter cause they will be down by 20 once Kerr lets the sharks loose on a Gasol/Love frontcourt.

While you are downing gasol, the only problem with your theory is that the grizzlies are the one team that has a winning record against the gs in the kerr, curry era, death lineup and all, and a fat Zach Randolph who couldn't guard anybody, apparently ever. 

While Boston and the great jae crowder couldn't do **** without Ishiah Thomas on that team. 

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

While you are downing gasol, the only problem with your theory is that the grizzlies are the one team that has a winning record against the gs in the kerr, curry era, death lineup and all, and a fat Zach Randolph who couldn't guard anybody, apparently ever. 

While Boston and the great jae crowder couldn't do **** without Ishiah Thomas on that team. 

Correct. Good points.