JWill4L

Draft And Free Agency '17

12 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

@CamRoseShow: While the Rockets are forming a super team of their own I'm told the Grizzlies will show interest in PG Ty Lawson.

Image result for excitement gif

If the grizzlies go after Lawson, then I'll eat crow. I'm on record as scoffing at the grizzlies bringing in a Mario Chalmers clone.

Though since this was camrose who broke the news, I'll take it with a grain of salt, as all the talking heads in memphis seem to be on the same dribble, and fantasize to no end about getting Mario back.

55 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I just want blow it up before they let Chris Wallace do any more damage.

Well, this obviously makes zero sense 

33 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If the grizzlies go after Lawson, then I'll eat crow. I'm on record as scoffing at the grizzlies bringing in a Mario Chalmers clone.

Though since this was camrose who broke the news, I'll take it with a grain of salt, as all the talking heads in memphis seem to be on the same dribble, and fantasize to no end about getting Mario back.

Fiz wants a speedy PG that can spread the floor.  Sober Ty Lawson can fill that requirement.  Patty Mills would be top of the list but we don't have the money to make that happen.    Darren Collison is another but he may be out of our range too. 

On a related note if Fiz targeting this type of backup PG then i don't see how Zbo fits in that picture.   Ty Lawson ain't gonna be racing up the court just to wait on zbo to get into post position and dribble out the clock jab stepping. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Fiz wants a speedy PG that can spread the floor.  Sober Ty Lawson can fill that requirement.  Patty Mills would be top of the list but we don't have the money to make that happen.    Darren Collison is another but he may be out of our range too. 

On a related note if Fiz targeting this type of backup PG then i don't see how Zbo fits in that picture.   Ty Lawson ain't gonna be racing up the court just to wait on zbo to get into post position and dribble out the clock jab stepping. 

Fiz is not going to sign a pg when he already has two on the roster, no matter what camrose believes.

15 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Fiz is not going to sign a pg when he already has two on the roster, no matter what camrose believes.

That is if you believe that Wade and Harrison will ultimately be PG's in the league or Combo's.   They both have the size to easily transition to the 2.  

However, i do know that Harrison and Wade are not speedy decision makers with the ball which causes the offense to slow down.   Getting a vet guard that can be Conley insurance and play alongside the young guys isn't a bad idea. 

28 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Fizdale won't sign anyone. That's Wallace's decision and under the current situation it makes sense for Wallace to look but something would need to occur changing the roster to make a signing like this.  

19 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That is if you believe that Wade and Harrison will ultimately be PG's in the league or Combo's.   They both have the size to easily transition to the 2.  

However, i do know that Harrison and Wade are not speedy decision makers with the ball which causes the offense to slow down.   Getting a vet guard that can be Conley insurance and play alongside the young guys isn't a bad idea. 

So fizz has already given up on Harrison and wade? If that's the case, we might as well not try to get younger. 

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

So fizz has already given up on Harrison and wade? If that's the case, we might as well not try to get younger. 

No that doesn't mean he has given up on them.  Like I said they may be better suited as combo's than true backup PG for now.   Ty could easily be signed to a 2yr deal which gives enough time to continue evaluating the youngsters and not wasting Mike's prime.  

As a backup PG a sober Ty Lawson is really good.  Don't see why you wouldn't like this signing.   This is a much more obtainable guy over Patty or Livingston.

Mike/Lawson/Wade

Wayne/Harrison/Daniels

Parsons/Ennis/Brooks,Rade

JaM/Martin/Rabb

Gasol/Davis

That seems like a realistic off season and "If Healthy" no reason why we can't be competing for a 6th seed.  And No we won't need Zbo if we have Lawson.  Because Lawson is the type of PG that can get guys easy shots and score himself.   

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

As a backup PG a sober Ty Lawson is really good.  Don't see why you wouldn't like this signing.   This is a much more obtainable guy over Patty or Livingston.

That seems like a realistic off season and "If Healthy" no reason why we can't be competing for a 6th seed.  And No we won't need Zbo if we have Lawson.  Because Lawson is the type of PG that can get guys easy shots and score himself.   

I believe some people are tired of reasonably obtainable acquisitions when the teams ahead of us are reaching for the moon and getting it. 

I'm curious how a 5'11" Point Guard means the team's leading rebounder from last season is no longer needed. Z-Bo is far more than just a scorer after all. 

4 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

They give you the best chance to win what exactly?  Ta and Zbo aren't gonna be around for ever and constantly  putting the transition to a new core on hold for them is just wasting whatever you have left in Mike,  Marc,  and Chandler.  At some point you move on and with them having their pick this year would be the perfect time to see how good your new core is and adjust accordingly.  Zbo and TA can no longer be core players here.  It's time to move on at least from TA,  if not both.  If Jam is back then both should be gone if we lose Jam then Zach can come back. 

Parsons won't give you much, Gasol is too inconsistent and Conley isn't enough on his own. Any Grizz team minus TA and Z-Bo and with who they would have in their stead is a 30 win team at best. That is not competitive and will not keep butts in the seats at the Forum. I'm not saying TA and Z-Bo are make the Grizz a contender, but they will be competitive (win at least 45 games barring injury and given suitable playing time in the right system). Letting them walk, and trying to play up tempo and outscore other teams night in and night out will not get them in the playoffs next year. Perhaps they need a couple of years in the lottery in order to really move on from TA and Z-Bo. But I hope that doesn't result in them becoming the San Jose' Grizzlies LOL!!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Parsons won't give you much, Gasol is too inconsistent and Conley isn't enough on his own. Any Grizz team minus TA and Z-Bo and with who they would have in their stead is a 30 win team at best. That is not competitive and will not keep butts in the seats at the Forum. I'm not saying TA and Z-Bo are make the Grizz a contender, but they will be competitive (win at least 45 games barring injury and given suitable playing time in the right system). Letting them walk, and trying to play up tempo and outscore other teams night in and night out will not get them in the playoffs next year. Perhaps they need a couple of years in the lottery in order to really move on from TA and Z-Bo. But I hope that doesn't result in them becoming the San Jose' Grizzlies LOL!!!

I agree with you but to make room for them on the roster who are you willing to give up and what would that do for the future of the franchise? 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I believe some people are tired of reasonably obtainable acquisitions when the teams ahead of us are reaching for the moon and getting it. 

I'm curious how a 5'11" Point Guard means the team's leading rebounder from last season is no longer needed. Z-Bo is far more than just a scorer after all. 

Well as long as CW in front office we know what "reaching for the moon means".   Gambling on a washed up or troubled vet or overpaying for an injured player.    Ty Lawson fits the requirement of a CW "reach for the moon".  

It's zbo point production is what has been discussed on here as his most important attribute.   I mean you aren't making the assumption that a 5'11' PG should be required to makeup for Zbo's rebounding are you?  

Deyonta and Green are both solid rebounders not to mention Ennis has proven to be a good rebounder from the wing spot as well.  I am not overly concerned about a Ty Lawson lead second unit not being able to produce. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree with you but to make room for them on the roster who are you willing to give up and what would that do for the future of the franchise? 

I'd let VC walk, and I'd seriously consider seeing what Gasol could fetch on the trade market. Depending on what JaM would get, I'd let him go too.

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well as long as CW in front office we know what "reaching for the moon means".   Gambling on a washed up or troubled vet or overpaying for an injured player.    Ty Lawson fits the requirement of a CW "reach for the moon".  

It's zbo point production is what has been discussed on here as his most important attribute.   I mean you aren't making the assumption that a 5'11' PG should be required to makeup for Zbo's rebounding are you?  

Deyonta and Green are both solid rebounders not to mention Ennis has proven to be a good rebounder from the wing spot as well.  I am not overly concerned about a Ty Lawson lead second unit not being able to produce. 

Not at all. I'm suggesting that Z-Bo is worth a lot more than just points off the bench. Lawson could replace the scoring but not all that Z-Bo brings. 

Just now, Blackwatch said:

I'd let VC walk, and I'd seriously consider seeing what Gasol could fetch on the trade market. Depending on what JaM would get, I'd let him go too.

VC, Z-Bo, Green and Allen are all Free Agents. Not counting those four players the Grizzlies stand at 14 players under contract (or reasonably assumed to be given a contract since their rights were acquired via a trade). To keep TA and Z-Bo someone under contract has to be released or one of the draft picks can't be signed. 

29 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

VC, Z-Bo, Green and Allen are all Free Agents. Not counting those four players the Grizzlies stand at 14 players under contract (or reasonably assumed to be given a contract since their rights were acquired via a trade). To keep TA and Z-Bo someone under contract has to be released or one of the draft picks can't be signed. 

The draft picks are 2nd rounders, their contracts aren't guaranteed anyway. I wouldn't let Z-Bo or TA walk to sign any 2nd round draft pick. If push comes to shove, I'd just chalk it up to bad management and resign TA and Z-bo, even if it meant not signing a 2nd round draft pick. Also, I'd see what Martin could fetch or not resign him. But trading Gasol would be my first option.

8 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

The draft picks are 2nd rounders, their contracts aren't guaranteed anyway. I wouldn't let Z-Bo or TA walk to sign any 2nd round draft pick. If push comes to shove, I'd just chalk it up to bad management and resign TA and Z-bo, even if it meant not signing a 2nd round draft pick. Also, I'd see what Martin could fetch or not resign him. But trading Gasol would be my first option.

Good lord are you related to those two?   You seem deadset on bringing them back by any means necessary. 

34 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Good lord are you related to those two?   You seem deadset on bringing them back by any means necessary. 

We must keep a 43 win team intact!

The flat out truth is that Wallace has painted this team into a corner. Because of decisions made in the past, the FO has made it impossible to maintain, let alone improve on a 43 win team. If Wallace somehow, with Devine help, was able to re-sign all 4 free agents, all he accomplishes is keeping a 43 win team intact with little to no hope of them winning that many games next season. As I see it, the only outside hope right now of the team improving is if one or some of the young guys blossom.