Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Will Memphis Ever Host An Nba All Star Game?

Do we have a shot at the NHL All Star Game? It's a big-time All Star Game, but maybe the requirements aren't as high as they are for the NBA one.

Honestly, I can't think of any mega convention that we could have here, that wouldn't have the same issues we have now (lack of hotel rooms, or at least upper-end hotel rooms).  The conventions that now go to Las Vegas won't come here just because we upgraded our convention center.

Ironically, the biggest "events" that I think we could have an outside chance of hosting -- NBA All Star Game, NHL All Star Game, WWE events like the Royal Rumble if not Wrestlemania, and the Democratic National Convention -- don't even NEED convention space -- the FedEx Forum would do.  Not sure what "big time" (little time?) conventions we will now be in the running for after the spruce up the Cook Convention Center (a COOK convention?).  

A new XFL team could bring in as many out of towners as a mediocre convention.

Ok, how many Comic Book conventions or SciFi conventions can one city host? Ok, maybe I don't wanna know...

Does the National Wrestling Alliance still hold annual conventions? Ironically, Billy Corgan now owns it and the "new look" N.W.A. is basically based out of Nashville.

3 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

And yes, those fans will show up for their Preds, but that's it. They won't show up for Vanderbilt football, or Vanderbilt basketball. Even the Titans games are poor at times in attendance wise. 

On the contrary, my son-in-law has 2 sets of Titans PSLs and lives in Rutherford Co.  We all go to Preds games (not all the games, but a number of them) and we all live in Rutherford.  We went to two Vandy home football game last fall.  We have been to a number of VU basketball games this season and get season tickets most years.  Go to the parking lot across from the football practice field on Natchez Trace during basketball and half the cars are from Williamson/Rutherford/Sumner/Wilson... especially Williamson.  This isn't the 1970's when almost all VU fans lived in Belle Meade, Green Hills, Westmeade, Oak Hill and a few other nice parts of Davidson.

On 2/23/2018 at 5:29 PM, bhoyal said:

On the contrary, my son-in-law has 2 sets of Titans PSLs and lives in Rutherford Co.  We all go to Preds games (not all the games, but a number of them) and we all live in Rutherford.  We went to two Vandy home football game last fall.  We have been to a number of VU basketball games this season and get season tickets most years.  Go to the parking lot across from the football practice field on Natchez Trace during basketball and half the cars are from Williamson/Rutherford/Sumner/Wilson... especially Williamson.  This isn't the 1970's when almost all VU fans lived in Belle Meade, Green Hills, Westmeade, Oak Hill and a few other nice parts of Davidson.

Congrats, you do that. But I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the fan base as a whole. Yes, Predators fans show up, don't get me wrong. However, When the Titans played Jacksonville in a win and go home in December, crowd was average. In addition, whenever Seattle, Green Bay, New England, and Dallas show up, their "fans" invade Nissan Stadium. And please don't give me the "weather was terrible" talk, I won't buy it.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, scooter said:

To many poor blacks, yes.

Unfortunately this is definitely looked at.  Seriously, you have to be able to financially back an NB team and their Brand!  Look what happen when the Tennessee Oilers played here for one-season.   If I recall correctly, Memphis was suppose to have an NFL team way before an NBA team.   Memphis was slated to get the Oilers or the Jaquars.   Because money and other reason those teams opted for other cities.

34 minutes ago, The REF said:

Unfortunately this is definitely looked at.  Seriously, you have to be able to financially back an NB team and their Brand!  Look what happen when the Tennessee Oilers played here for one-season.   If I recall correctly, Memphis was suppose to have an NFL team way before an NBA team.   Memphis was slated to get the Oilers or the Jaquars.   Because money and other reason those teams opted for other cities.

Forgive my complete ignorance about the subject, but what makes Memphis different in this regard from Baltimore? From an outsider's perspective both cities look similar (if anything I'd say Baltimore looks poorer but that may be "The Wire" replaying in my head) but Baltimore got and retained an expansion NFL team at about the same time as the Oilers moved.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, fanboyslim said:

Forgive my complete ignorance about the subject, but what makes Memphis different in this regard from Baltimore? From an outsider's perspective both cities look similar (if anything I'd say Baltimore looks poorer but that may be "The Wire" replaying in my head) but Baltimore got and retained an expansion NFL team at about the same time as the Oilers moved.

Baltimore is much bigger and supports both a MLB team as well as a NFL team

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Baltimore also demonstrated that they could provide fan support for an NFL team for over 25 years with the Colts, until Robert flippin' POS Irsay decided he wanted Baltimore to build him a new stadium, and when they denied him he took the team to Indianapolis in the middle of the night without getting league approval first.

The Ravens were not an expansion team.  They were formerly the Cleveland Browns.  I guess B'more stole a team to replace their stolen team.

1 hour ago, scooter said:

Baltimore is much bigger and supports both a MLB team as well as a NBA team

If you're speaking of the Washington Wizards that were once the Baltimore Bullets I don't know how much support they get.  Having been born in Baltimore and raised in Maryland and growing up a staunch fan of the Orioles, Colts, and Bullets, I can only speak for myself when I say my fandom and interest waned some after they became the Capital Bullets and then the Washington Bullets.  Between Washington and Baltimore they have two NFL teams, two MLB teams, but only one NBA team and one NHL team (both in WAS) so I guess B'more could be helping to provide fan support, IDK.

20 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The Baltimore metro area includes DC (which had a waiting list for season tickets for years) and can draw from fans from Virginia to Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania for games. The Baltimore metro area alone encompasses 2.7 million people and that isn't including DC. 

In comparison Memphis' metro area has 1.3 million people. 

I am not even sure that Washington, DC has hosted the NBA All Star Game.

They are kinda keeping a tight rotation of ASG locations.  Pretty much LA, NYC area, New Orleans, and probably Las Vegas at this point.

I can see this being discussed in the next CBA or something.  

Has Toronto had an All Star Game? Probably one of the best all-around cities in North America with a red hot franchise/fan base.

You could say that no location/area gets the All Star Game more than once every five years.  Then the REST of the locations NEED to have an All Star Game if they haven't had one in at least 15 or 20 years (I think it has been 30 or more years since Portland has had it).  

I wouldn't even be opposed to Seattle getting one IF they wanna kick the tires on expanding the league.  

Charlotte is getting the game next year. Which is good for variety. Wonder how many hotel rooms THEY have... I bet they have more than us, but I wouldn't confuse Downtown Charlotte with the Las Vegas Strip.

23 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

If you're speaking of the Washington Wizards that were once the Baltimore Bullets I don't know how much support they get.  Having been born in Baltimore and raised in Maryland and growing up a staunch fan of the Orioles, Colts, and Bullets, I can only speak for myself when I say my fandom and interest waned some after they became the Capital Bullets and then the Washington Bullets.  Between Washington and Baltimore they have two NFL teams, two MLB teams, but only one NBA team and one NHL team (both in WAS) so I guess B'more could be helping to provide fan support, IDK.

I meant Baltimore has both a NFL team and a MLB team.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:40 PM, GoGrizz! said:

Congrats, you do that. But I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the fan base as a whole. Yes, Predators fans show up, don't get me wrong. However, When the Titans played Jacksonville in a win and go home in December, crowd was average. In addition, whenever Seattle, Green Bay, New England, and Dallas show up, their "fans" invade Nissan Stadium. And please don't give me the "weather was terrible" talk, I won't buy it.

Full disclosure?  I think Titans fans are a joke anymore.  It's not the same fanbase as in the McNair/George/Wycheck days.  Half the "locals" (in reality, recent grads who just moved to NashVegas) who go now are only going because they know somebody from the office that's hosting a tailgate party.  Half of them couldn't name a single player other than Mariota.  They sure couldn't have named Mularkey as the coach and couldn't tell you now who Vrabel is.   If they had to pick between a Titans game and an alternative rock "Lightning 100 Live on the Green" show - almost all would go to the Live on the Green show.

I haven't been to Memphis in a while but with TA and Z-bo gone and a new coach, I'm not sure if this isn't turning into the post-McNair/George era for the Grizz.  Tickets for tonight online via the secondary market start at $2.   Plaza level start at $3 on Vivid Seats.  It's painful to watch a sports team turn into the "Spinal Tap" of their sport.  I really hope they are wise with that high draft pick this time and bring back Evans.  Maybe even try to get a veteran big and a veteran PG as legit backups. 

5 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Full disclosure?  I think Titans fans are a joke anymore.  It's not the same fanbase as in the McNair/George/Wycheck days.  Half the "locals" (in reality, recent grads who just moved to NashVegas) who go now are only going because they know somebody from the office that's hosting a tailgate party.  Half of them couldn't name a single player other than Mariota.  They sure couldn't have named Mularkey as the coach and couldn't tell you now who Vrabel is.   If they had to pick between a Titans game and an alternative rock "Lightning 100 Live on the Green" show - almost all would go to the Live on the Green show.

I haven't been to Memphis in a while but with TA and Z-bo gone and a new coach, I'm not sure if this isn't turning into the post-McNair/George era for the Grizz.  Tickets for tonight online via the secondary market start at $2.   Plaza level start at $3 on Vivid Seats.  It's painful to watch a sports team turn into the "Spinal Tap" of their sport.  I really hope they are wise with that high draft pick this time and bring back Evans.  Maybe even try to get a veteran big and a veteran PG as legit backups. 

Even if TA and Randolph was still in Memphis, tickets would be relatively cheap. Probably in the $4-$9 range for terrace level seats. Tuesday night, bad Phoenix team, no Bueno. Nobody goes to Broadway and watch bad performers perform on stage.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, GoGrizz! said:

Even if TA and Randolph was still in Memphis, tickets would be relatively cheap. Probably in the $4-$9 range for terrace level seats. Tuesday night, bad Phoenix team, no Bueno. Nobody goes to Broadway and watch bad performers perform on stage.

Memphis is a somewhat fair-weather-fan city. Tigers were the heart and soul of this city for years, and two years of mediocrity has completely decimated attendance. People in Memphis probably don't have a ton of disposable income and would prefer not to waste it on inferior products. 

However, no matter who was on our team and what kind of run we were on, a Tues night game against the worst or second worst team in the league is never going to bring in a great crowd. At least we aren't Detroit... The first game with Blake Griffin and their arena was 80% empty. If we got a superstar like Griffin, we'd pack the house. Memphis DOES love their basketball, just not $hitty basketball. 

On the subject of this thread...

Memphis will NEVER host an NBA All-Star game. Our downtown barely has enough hotels for Memphis in May festivities... Most hotels are too far out east (i.e. where you can't walk out of your hotel room and to attractions) to make Memphis a viable downtown for events like huge conferences and pro all-star games. Similarly-sized cities like New Orleans and Nashville actually have plenty of lodging in the walkable areas of downtown. Also, our downtown only has a walkable area of a few square miles. Don't wanna find yourself walking even 1 block south of FedEx Forum at night...

14 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Memphis is a somewhat fair-weather-fan city. Tigers were the heart and soul of this city for years, and two years of mediocrity has completely decimated attendance. People in Memphis probably don't have a ton of disposable income and would prefer not to waste it on inferior products. 

However, no matter who was on our team and what kind of run we were on, a Tues night game against the worst or second worst team in the league is never going to bring in a great crowd. At least we aren't Detroit... The first game with Blake Griffin and their arena was 80% empty. If we got a superstar like Griffin, we'd pack the house. Memphis DOES love their basketball, just not $hitty basketball. 

On the subject of this thread...

Memphis will NEVER host an NBA All-Star game...

Don't wanna find yourself walking even 1 block south of FedEx Forum at night...

Truth... went to a game last month , got there early decided to eat at Gus’s...parked right in front of the door . 

Thought about saving a few parking dollars ,leaving my truck there , and walking to the Forum ( do we still want/ get to call it the GRINDHOUSE? ) .

The walk there with some daylight - no problem.  Trying to walk back after a game - nahhh.

Paid the man and parked outside of the Forum.

How bad is it not being able to walk to/from the Forum? The Oakland Colisseum is in a really bad part of town and only reachable by car or BART and that didn't keep Oakland from getting the 2000 ASG.

The lack of hotels is a different matter though.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:07 AM, fanboyslim said:

How bad is it not being able to walk to/from the Forum? The Oakland Colisseum is in a really bad part of town and only reachable by car or BART and that didn't keep Oakland from getting the 2000 ASG.

The lack of hotels is a different matter though.

If I am not mistaken, there was a murder just outside the Forum a few years ago. I don't have a problem walking to and from the forum. When I attend games,  I usually park at the location off Linden and B.B. King (just outside the guitar factory). However, it depends on where you go at night and who you're with. If you park near Huey's and Peabody, I think you're fine because you're usually surrounding by people. I'm not going to get into statistics or anything like that. But when I see murders that are senseless and stupidity, it makes you feel uncomfortable walking anywhere at night, regardless where you are at.

2 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

If I am not mistaken, there was a murder just outside the Forum a few years ago. I don't have a problem walking to and from the forum. When I attend games,  I usually park at the location off Linden and B.B. King (just outside the guitar factory). However, it depends on where you go at night and who you're with. If you park near Huey's and Peabody, I think you're fine because you're usually surrounding by people. I'm not going to get into statistics or anything like that. But when I see murders that are senseless and stupidity, it makes you feel uncomfortable walking anywhere at night, regardless where you are at.

it's also just that when you go south of the forum their are projects and bad neighborhoods right there. Doesn't even feel like you're downtown in a city at that point.