Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Will Memphis Ever Host An Nba All Star Game?

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, Allen said:

Memphis is about to explode so we will get one eventually

Natural gas pipeline leak maybe?

I thought the All Star Game was really good.  Better than a lot of years.  And, the players really wanted to win -- at least LeBron and his guys did.

Didn't watch most of the other stuff.  The dunk contest didn't come off that well, although a few of those dunks were great.  If Mitchell, Smith, Jr., and Nance come back next year maybe they will do even better.

Of all the events/"conventions" that Memphis could host (that would actually move the needle) the NBA All Star Game would be at the top of the list.  

IF we can't even get that then they need to NOT rehab the convention center but tear it down and sell it.  GO BIG OR GO HOME.  Probably shoulda moved it to where Peabody Place was (and where Service Master is now).  Oh well.  One of these days... Attached to the Peabody.  Across the street from the Forum and the Westin.  Nearly on Beale St.  

We need some marketing and branding people to run this town.  Not sure I would pick Jim Strickland to hold Germantown city council meetings.  Looks like a guy I want to do my taxes... 

Other than that, big picture wise, I actually like the idea of trying to get a new XFL team.  If they do it right (spring games starting after the Super Bowl) I think attendance could be solid, solid TV ratings, too.  

Go after a smaller WWE PPV.  Or, a Royal Rumble.

Other than that, Memphis can talk about 40 years ago, like FedEx.  We could build a Holiday Inns/Piggly Wiggly/Service Merchandise/FedEx Hall of Fame!

29 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I thought the All Star Game was really good.  Better than a lot of years.  And, the players really wanted to win -- at least LeBron and his guys did.

Didn't watch most of the other stuff.  The dunk contest didn't come off that well, although a few of those dunks were great.  If Mitchell, Smith, Jr., and Nance come back next year maybe they will do even better.

Of all the events/"conventions" that Memphis could host (that would actually move the needle) the NBA All Star Game would be at the top of the list.  

IF we can't even get that then they need to NOT rehab the convention center but tear it down and sell it.  GO BIG OR GO HOME.  Probably shoulda moved it to where Peabody Place was (and where Service Master is now).  Oh well.  One of these days... Attached to the Peabody.  Across the street from the Forum and the Westin.  Nearly on Beale St.  

We need some marketing and branding people to run this town.  Not sure I would pick Jim Strickland to hold Germantown city council meetings.  Looks like a guy I want to do my taxes... 

Other than that, big picture wise, I actually like the idea of trying to get a new XFL team.  If they do it right (spring games starting after the Super Bowl) I think attendance could be solid, solid TV ratings, too.  

Go after a smaller WWE PPV.  Or, a Royal Rumble.

Other than that, Memphis can talk about 40 years ago, like FedEx.  We could build a Holiday Inns/Piggly Wiggly/Service Merchandise/FedEx Hall of Fame!

I totally agree.    I just think the League should choose or rotate from Eastern Conference one year, to Western Conference the next  year and so on.   It should alternate and each city and team should be afforded or given the opportunity to host the NBA All Star Game.   Every team deserves at least one ASG.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:01 PM, tmoneyinmphs said:

I think it's more likely we lose our franchise before we host a nba all star game.

Fwiw, i thought the all star idea of picking teams was stupid.  I watched about 30 seconds of sloppy play in the all star game before i turned it off.   That's how much of nba all star weekend that i watched, and i'm a long time nba fan.  I just don't appreciate how the nba and their agenda filled refs cater to today's whiny ***** so called superstars.   This nba era led by leboy is the worse ever, imo.

Its sad. Theres no real reason why Memphis shouldnt be a booming metropolis right now. If ATL and Nashville can grow why cant Memphis?

29 minutes ago, Allen said:

Its sad. Theres no real reason why Memphis shouldnt be a booming metropolis right now. If ATL and Nashville can grow why cant Memphis?

I live outside of charlotte nc and its going like crazy . the city doesnot look old

On 2/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, GoGrizz! said:

I don't count Franklin, Hendersonville, and Brentwood

You should.  And Mt. Juliet.  And LaVergne/Smyrna.

Half of Nashville does not live in Davidson County... but they sure show up at sports.  Preds and Vandy drew a combined 28,000 or so last Saturday.  

Nashville has the hotel rooms downtown to host almost anything but the 4 billion $$ light rail/mass transit system that looked like almost a sure thing now will not happen because the mayor got exposed for screwing her bodyguard.  What does screwing her bodyguard have to do with a rail system?  Nothing.  But since the conservative party is winless in the history of Metro Nashville mayoral races... not a misprint... they are 0-fer all time...right in the middle of the bible belt...they are desperate to crap on any plans to continue improving the city.  They were against Bridgestone Arena (turned out to be a gold mine) they were against the new convention center (turned out to be a gold mine) and now will block the mass transit even though they are a minority in Davidson County.  Because she f-----d her bodyguard while he was on the clock getting paid overtime.  

Great gig if you can get it, I guess.

7 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Service Mdse. started in Nashville, not Memphis.  It was called Shainberg & Zimmerman.  And then Service Wholesale.

Since it was retail and not wholesale anymore after a point in time, they were forced to change their name.  Just as Sam's "Wholesale" Club is now just "Sam's Club."

11 hours ago, Allen said:

The honest answer is there are too many blacks here for the state to invest in Memphis.

There isnt a great pool of educated talent for mega corporate businesses like Amazon to select from. More of those people are trying to leave than come here unfortunately. 

Imo, closing the projects down and spreading them all over the city hasnt helped either. Now that element is almost everywhere.

22 hours ago, gentlemanquartely said:

no.  we don't have adequate hotel space.  and our transportation system is inadequate.

And we have the winner!

On 2/21/2018 at 2:22 PM, Allen said:

Are you serious?

While Memphis does have a couple of enormous business there (FedEx and Auto Zone)... Nashville area and Atlanta have a large diverse groups of businesses.  Take Nashville for example...

Nissan and GM in Smyrna/Franklin and Spring Hill

Bridgestone factory in LaVergne, corporate offices in Nashville and Antioch

HCA (healthcare giant)

Electrolux (Frigidaire, etc) in Springfield

Community Health (Franklin)

Crapper Barrel "restaurants" and gift stores (Lebanon)

Dell Computers (Nashville)

Amazon (Lebanon/Murf.)

Hot Topic (LaVergne)

Genesco (Journeys, Lids, Johnston & Murphy, etc)

Journeys, Journeys Kidz, Shi by Journeys, Schuh, Schuh Kids, Little Burgundy, Lids, Locker Room by Lids, Lids Clubhouse, Johnston & MurphyJourneys, Journeys Kidz, Shi by Journeys, Schuh, Schuh Kids, Little Burgundy, Lids, Locker Room by Lids, Lids Clubhouse, Johnston & Murphy

17 hours ago, MemphisX said:

The honest answer is there are too many blacks here for the state to invest in Memphis.

To many poor blacks, yes.

13 hours ago, Dwash said:

There isnt a great pool of educated talent for mega corporate businesses like Amazon to select from. More of those people are trying to leave than come here unfortunately. 

Imo, closing the projects down and spreading them all over the city hasnt helped either. Now that element is almost everywhere.

True.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:22 PM, Allen said:

Poverty, Crime, Lack of an adequate skilled workforce, Poor political leadership

10 hours ago, scooter said:

Poverty, Crime, Lack of an adequate skilled workforce, Poor political leadership

All of that is fixable

That sounds like it just counts the actually city limits. "Atlanta" is mostly suburbs, stretching far and wide on the North, South and East sides.

I have been to Atlanta probably 20 times and have relatives there. Its a totally different environment from top to bottom.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

"Atlanta" is mostly suburbs, stretching far and wide on the North, South and East sides.

Atlanta and Nashville are similar in that a lot of the numbers behind their statistics  come from the surrounding counties (Cobb, DeKalb, Gwinnett for ATL and Williamson, Rutherford for Ca$hville) essentially being incorporated. Economically, their neighbors live more symbiotically the Metropolitan  centers whereas the counties surrounding Memphis are more parasitic in nature.

If Tipton, Fayette, Desoto and Crittendon counties  cooperated on the same scale with Shelby county as those counties that surround ATL and Nashville the Memphis would appear in a different light. Then again, if all the municipalities within Shelby had the same/similar vision of Davidson and Fulton counties respectively then we would have consolidated government at the county level decades ago and Memphis and the surrounding area could have enjoyed similar growth.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:23 AM, MemphisX said:

Oh I could get on my soapbox for hours....

Despite what you make think about them, when John Ford was in the state Senate and Harold Sr.was in the Congress, things got done in and for Memphis. Oh sure there was a lot that was needed then  as is now. Still, those dudes looked out for all their constituents.  However, in the past 20 years the city of Memphis and West Tennessee has abdicated all their political power to one-stop-sign towns like Spit Bucket and Hog Nuts East TN.

And the result is that there has been little to no real investment in the area. Instead, we see the continual drain of talented youth leaving as they don't see sufficient opportunity.

The funny thing is that with the extreme low cost of living and a couple of other factors the city actually is a leader in opportunity for minority entrepreneurship.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, bhoyal said:

You should.  And Mt. Juliet.  And LaVergne/Smyrna.

Half of Nashville does not live in Davidson County... but they sure show up at sports.  Preds and Vandy drew a combined 28,000 or so last Saturday.  

Nashville has the hotel rooms downtown to host almost anything but the 4 billion $$ light rail/mass transit system that looked like almost a sure thing now will not happen because the mayor got exposed for screwing her bodyguard.  What does screwing her bodyguard have to do with a rail system?  Nothing.  But since the conservative party is winless in the history of Metro Nashville mayoral races... not a misprint... they are 0-fer all time...right in the middle of the bible belt...they are desperate to crap on any plans to continue improving the city.  They were against Bridgestone Arena (turned out to be a gold mine) they were against the new convention center (turned out to be a gold mine) and now will block the mass transit even though they are a minority in Davidson County.  Because she f-----d her bodyguard while he was on the clock getting paid overtime.  

Great gig if you can get it, I guess.

If you want consider putting West Memphis, Tunica, Hernando, Olive Branch, South Haven, and Covington into the Memphis population that's fine. However, a lot of people don't because all of those towns that I mentioned with the exception of Covington aren't in the state of Tennessee. Meanwhile, Nashville is fortunate enough where their counties has towns that are rising in terms of population. 

When a lot of people think about Nashville's population, they will include the suburbs that aren't in Davidson County. However, they will include Memphis' suburbs in the population because it's in Shelby County, but won't put West Memphis, or any of the Mississippi towns because they're not in the state of Tennessee. 

And yes, those fans will show up for their Preds, but that's it. They won't show up for Vanderbilt football, or Vanderbilt basketball. Even the Titans games are poor at times in attendance wise.