Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Will Memphis Ever Host An Nba All Star Game?

I don't think the FedEx Forum is not a big enough arena (unless they shut down the sections behind the basketball goal near the Grizzlies bench) to handle the all-star game. That stage is huge.

Also, who cares. Do NBA players really want to spend a weekend in Memphis? It'll definitely help downtown tourism and tourism throughout the city.

The all-star is boring, it's useless. Would rather not watch it than watch it.

I don't think the FedEx Forum is not a big enough arena (unless they shut down the sections behind the basketball goal near the Grizzlies bench) to handle the all-star game. That stage is huge.

Also, who cares. Do NBA players really want to spend a weekend in Memphis? It'll definitely help downtown tourism and tourism throughout the city.

The all-star is boring, it's useless. Would rather not watch it than watch it.

Ignorance.

Have you ever been to an All Star weekend? The game is secondary. It's a fun and crazy weekend.

I was re watching the early 2000 all star games and the 90s. Infinitely more entertaining. Not just somewhat competitive wise, but talent wise, these guys were better

In the 80s and 90s, the games were actually entertaining, but again, it goes back to the star players of that time who were far better basketball players than anything today's nba can produce.  They also played the game more in a style that fans could respect while being entertained.  The last meaningful all star game for me was the last one mj played in.   

The 3 point contest on saturday was laughable at times.  I fell asleep during the dunk contest...seriously, i fell asleep it was so boring.  I still don't know who won nor do i care.

I watched about two minutes of yesterday's all star game and ended up watching some shows from the "on demand" comcast channel instead.  That's how much i care about today's nba superstars.

As far as the op question goes.  Never.  Memphis will never host an all star game even if they did have the hotels and other things needed. 

Ignorance.

Have you ever been to an All Star weekend? The game is secondary. It's a fun and crazy weekend.

Yeah I know people that go to the city almost every year and never go to the game.

Players are too worried about money and their brand to actually compete these days.

The more money athletes make the less competitive they get

Thoughts?

Back to your original question, I highly doubt it will happen in the next 10 years unless the NBA forces it. I'm pretty sure Memphis still falls way short of the minimum number of 4 and 5 star hotel rooms within a certain distance of the arena. I just don't see it.

NO is a convention city and is built to hold large crowds and large conferences despite it being a small city. Memphis was never built that way. it should have been. City leaders should have noticed it decades ago. Maybe if they did, Memphis would be looked at more like Charlotte or Nashville for that matter than being looked at as closer to Birmingham, AL, Little Rock, AR or Jackson, MS. No disrespect to those cities, but there's a reason none of those cities have a major league pro sports franchise. Memphis is really lucky in that respect bt the city's not built for an All Star Game or Super Bowl event. 

Ignorance.

So we are going to let Memphians buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars of tickets just to watch superstars do fast break dunks and not do what they're talented to do? I want to watch LeBron do what LeBron does during an NBA game, I want to watch the Warriors core 4 do what the Warriors core 4 do in an NBA game.

You noticed that Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Indiana, Utah, Portland, and Detroit hardly get any all-star games?

They go to L.A., Houston, Phoenix, Brooklyn, Toronto, and New York.

If Memphis host an all-star game they would've already put in a bid for it.

The game is boring, slam dunk contest is boring because players are running out of ideas.

I would rather let the players get their checks and not play than just play. Let them rest....talk about ignorant.

Back to your original question, I highly doubt it will happen in the next 10 years unless the NBA forces it. I'm pretty sure Memphis still falls way short of the minimum number of 4 and 5 star hotel rooms within a certain distance of the arena. I just don't see it.

NO is a convention city and is built to hold large crowds and large conferences despite it being a small city. Memphis was never built that way. it should have been. City leaders should have noticed it decades ago. Maybe if they did, Memphis would be looked at more like Charlotte or Nashville for that matter than being looked at as closer to Birmingham, AL, Little Rock, AR or Jackson, MS. No disrespect to those cities, but there's a reason none of those cities have a major league pro sports franchise. Memphis is really lucky in that respect bt the city's not built for an All Star Game or Super Bowl event. 

Great points O.D.K,

I agree they are looked at as mid-size cities like Birmingham, Huntsville, AL, Little Rock and Jackson, MS.  Memphians and surrounding cities and counties are very fortunate and lucky to even have a Professional Basketball team.  I think the FEDEX Forum has been open about 8, or 9 years and if it hasn't happen yet, I don't it happens but it should, it's so much CULTURE and HISTORY there in Memphis and it's considered a GATEWAY for all cities.

I know hotels drive it, but what ever Memphis had a player say like Lebron in a few years or his calibur would that change the outlook?

I don't Cleveland has hosted it in a long time, but I'm sure they will before he leaves town.  By the way its' in LA next year.

I think with the current cycle of investment and perhaps another, maybe in 15 years. There's still a strong interest in making downtown convention friendly and there's a lot of money being invested now. It's very possible down the road, assuming things stay on an upward trajectory and don't get stagnant.

Memphis is about to explode so we will get one eventually

I think it's more likely we lose our franchise before we host a nba all star game.

The current contract says the grizz can't leave until 2021 without major financial penalties and court action.  The contract ends in 2029.  Would memphis have to build a new arena to get the grizz to stay in memphis another 20 something years?  Would memphis be able to do that if it happens?

I don't think the Grizzlies will leave Memphis unless Pera decides to pull a San Diego Charger or St. Louis Ram move and move to one of the biggest cities in America in L.A. Needless to say, Seattle is the only city to deserve a NBA team. 

I also believe the Grizzlies will remain in the Memphis as long as they have winning seasons and find a way to be somewhat of a threat when the playoffs approach in April. The fans here in Memphis will continue to support them. No, we don't sell out like the elite teams in the association, and our attendance needs to improve. 

Keep in mind that us Grizzlies fans has been spoiled. Out of the 30 NBA teams, Memphis had 6 straight seasons of .500 or better basketball. Last time we were under .500 was the 09-10 season when we went 40-42. Only, Oklahoma City, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Chicago have longer streaks. Which Dallas and Chicago's consecutive season streaks of .500 or better are in jeopardy. 

The other than I would like to see is if the city improves our landscape. Start in downtown and expand east.  I would like to see that happen and make Memphis more of a city where people say "Memphis is beautiful!" I don't think we get enough of that from outsiders.

Brace yourself, Nashville is about to pass Memphis in population. It'll happen before 2020, if not, sooner. And i think Nashville will get a MLB team by 2025-2030 if they continue to support the Predators and Titans.

Ignorance.

The closest I have ever come to being at an event like this - this past year I went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Friday before the Hall of Fame game.  I will never forget it.  It was magical.  The excitement, the atmosphere - you had to wave away the history wafting in front of your face, thicker than the air it was.  I saw players, media personalities, coaches, even the Commish.  Within feet of me, no bodyguards, no entourages.  I was able to shake **** Vermeil's hand and talk to him.  I saw him looking at an exhibit like he was grandpa touring a museum on his AARP discount.  It was a level of access I will likely never have again. We were all there for football reasons, all of us.  

The NBA All-Star game is the same, it's not about the game.  It's about the experience.  The chance to be among the game and its people in a way you may never be again.  

Maybe some of the people on this board poo-poohing the ASG weren't old enough to remember what it was like to have a main event boxing ticket at the Pyramid.  It's like that.  The entire city would be abuzz with it.  And nobody would have to worry about Memphians paying hundreds of dollars to go watch it.  Try thousands.  The only Memphians in the building on Sunday night would be the A-listers.  Most everyone in that building will be from somewhere else.

No.  We don't have adequate hotel space.  we don't have enough hotel rooms for the COGIC convention even though it was founded here.

And there's the reality.  It's not even a dream right now, until Memphis invests seriously in its downtown tourism and convention infrastructure. More premium hotels. Which must be downtown.  What we have today is ok, but Memphis will never be a top tier convention town if this is the limits of its investment.  And that's what it's going to take to be able to handle and ASG.

Did COGIC ever move their convention?  They threatened to for years.