Grizzlies Vocabulary

242 replies to this topic

#1 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

This last week, a lot of new terms have been thrown out there, and I thought it might be good to put together a dictionary of sorts. Most of the new terms are very positive making this more of a fun exercise. Some of the terms have recently been coined, and haven't caught on, while others have been tossed around for a while. I'm hoping some of it catches on at the Forum to be honest, resulting in chants to liven up the games. (Note - In general I'm only putting in references to the Grizzlies, not their opponents, with the exception of a few exceptions, that mostly stem from playoff series.)

3 Point Mafia - Wayne Ellington, Quincy Pondexter, and Jerrod Bayless. (A play on Three-Six Mafia.) Grizzlies bench players brought together for the 2012 season, who have started the season hitting a lot of key threes and up tempo scoring that the Grizzlies have lacked in past seasons.

3YP - Three Year Plan. A phrase coined by Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley during the press conference introducing new draftees O.J. Mayo and Darrell Arthur to inform the public his expected time frame to build a contender. The plan saw the team go from a 20 win team before the plan to a playoff team in year 3, including winning the first playoff series in team history.

5-Man Rotation - Substitution pattern used by Hubie Brown where groups were substituted 5-at-a-time. Also known as 10 man game.

Anti-Pau - Synonym for "not soft". Often used when describing current Grizzlies post players.

Agent 1-0 - Gilbert Arenas. Refers to his past days as Agent Zero, but with the Grizzlies his number is now 10.

Barone Ball - Style of play under coach Tony Barone. The streetball-like play was characterized by a lack of set plays, shooting early in the shot clock, and a general disregard for defense. It resulted in high scoring games that many found highly entertaining, and others found frustrating.

Beale Street Bears - Memphis Grizzlies. Nickname for the team based on the Fedex forum's location next to Beale Street.

Believe - Grizzlies marketing campaign for the 2011 playoffs that caught on like wildfire. Uses many variations including "We Believe", "I Believe", and "Believe Memphis". (Still no word on whether there will be a "Miracle on Beale Street" slogan to go with it, based on the movie Miracle on 34th street which also used the "I believe" slogan.

(The) Big Mailbox - FedEx Forum. Coined by Charles Barkely in playoff analysis.

Big Mo - Maurice Speights

(The) Canswer - Allen Iverson. Variation on Iverson's nickname "The Answer", brought on by the selfish attitude and three ring circus he brought with his short stay in Memphis. Ironically, in a city known for it's work on curing cancer, removing the Canswer resulted in a very healthy Grizzlies team.

Cash considerations - A specified amount of money included with an unusable player to get the Grizzlies to use their cap space to take said player.

Crystal Ball - A reference used by Brevin Knight, one of the Grizzlies TV announcers, making predictions about the Grizzlies, usually something positive for the Grizzlies.

(The) Custodian - Brian Cardinal. Given for the way he "cleaned the floor" diving for loose balls.

(The) Dream - Hasheem Thabeet's self appointed nickname.

Eurothug - Reference to Marc Gasol, both for his often scruffy look (in his rookie season), and his tough as nails approach to the game. Although it might sound like a negative, it is usually used with affection by Grizzlies fans who love the toughness and effort he has brought to the grizzlies.

Fear the Bear-d - A team bonding gimmick used by the Grizzlies 2010-2011 team during their run to reach the playoffs. Players, coaches, and even staff stopped shaving until a playoff spot was clinched. Fortunately, the team made the playoffs, so none of the players had to look for a secondary option of trying out for mascott.

FedEx Fortress - See Fort FedEx

Flight 22 - Reference to Rudy Gay and his athletic ability when jumping for dunks.

Flop City - Reference the the Clippers and their penchant for flopping to get calls. While Ginobli is likely still the king of floppers, having a whole team who does it makes things worse. (Reference from 2012 playoffs.)

Fort FedEx - The FedExForum. Nickname in honor of the Grizzlies new found home field advantage during the first half of the 09/10 season, with big wins over a number of top teams, and a very solid winning percentage. Unfortunately, the second half of that season didn't seen the same "protect the home court" play from the Grizzlies. Since that season, home court has definately been an advantage for the Grizzlies.

Gasol 2.0 - Younger, stronger, tougher

Gaycial - Posterized by Rudy Gay. (Variation on the term facial, which is a slam dunk in the face of the defender.)

Gelvelop - The belief that a young team will see improvement over time as they gel together. In hindsight, the strategy was successful in building a team that went to the playoffs in two consecutive seasons to cap off the "the year plan".

Go Flop Yourself - Reference to Manu Ginobli during the 2011 playoffs referring to him doing ridiculous flops and having the refs buy it. "Go Flop Yourself" Ginobli Tshirts were seen at the Grizzlies first playoff victory. (See also: No Flopping Zone.) Flopping became a major theme in the 2012 playoffs as well, with "Flop City" being the opponent.

(The) Grindfather - Tony Allen, originator of the term Grit and Grind, as well as being the biggest example of the play style.

(The) Grindhouse - Fed Ex Forum. Nickname for the forum going along with the "Grit, Grind, and Heart" mantra of the 2011 playoff season.

Grit, Grind, and Heart - Phrase used to describe the style of play of the 2011 Grizzlies. (Specifically stems from the play of Tony Allen, and the way his contageous play style seemed to rub off on the rest of the team.) Note, this is often shortened to just Grit and Grind, and has become a major if not THE major phrase that makes up the identity of the team.

Grizz Out - Wearing Grizzly gear or colors

Grizz Up - To take one's game up to another level, or to step up to a challenge.

Grizzlam - Religon practiced by Grizzly fans.

Grizztory - Grizzly History. As in, "We made Grizztory with our 2011 playoff run from the 8th seed."

He wit' us - Phrase used by Tony Allen to get under the skin of opposing shooters. When someone misses several shots, if they shoot additional shots, he would shout "He wit' us" to let the shooter know he's helping the Grizzlies by shooting.

HH (Double H) - Hamed Haddadi

I'll Beat Your *** - Zbo's short and to the point answer when an opposing center started jawing about meeting someone at the bus. Both Zbo and the center were ejected. Zbo went to meet the other player in the locker room to see if he really wanted to go at it. (Also see: Zbo Don't Bluff)

It's Miller Time - Celebratory expression when Mike Miller hits a three.

Juice - OJ Mayo. Nickname based on OJ.

(The) Junkyard Dog - Demarre Carroll. Nickname stemming from his scrappy high energy style of play.

Lightning in a Bottle - A phrase used by Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to identify possible talent that might bring unexpected contributions to a roster.

Louis Bearakhann - The Grizz aka Grizzly mascot

MC Squared - Mike Conley Jr.

Meal Ticket - Nickname used by Grizzlies players for Pau Gasol during the 2006-2007 season. AKA The ticket.

MVZ - Most Valuable Zach? Most Valuable ZBo? Variation of the MVP chant, which will hopefully be ringing through Fed Ex Forum soon as a tribute to just how valuable Zach Randolph has been to the team and the city.

Nation of Grizzlam - The Grizzly fanbase. Practicers of Grizzlam.

No Flopping Zone - Common sign in the 2011 playoff series vs the Spurs due to ridiculous flopping that get calls for the spurs. (also see: "Go Flop Yourself.)

NOOOO, Not that Guy! - Reference to a now famous (at least among Grizzly fans) video of a fan going nuts when the ball was passed to Rudy Gay for a clutch shot to win the game. Rudy sunk the shot.

Old Man River - Zach Randolph. Used as reference by NBA crew during 2012/13 playoffs.

(The) Presense - Hasheem Thabeet. The origins of the nickname were claims that his mere "presense" would change the game defensively for the Grizzlies. The term soon took a life of it's own.

QPon- Quincy Pondexter (aka "Q")

(The) Renaissance Man - Sam Young. Nickname given to him in college do to him playing Piano in hotel lobbies while travelling with the team.

RunGMC - Run Gay-Mayo-Conley. Originally coined in the 2008-2009 season, its a tribute to the fast break ability of the wings and guards on the Grizzlies. It's become even more appropriate in the 2009-2010, with the fast breaks becoming a larger part of the Grizzly offense.

Shady - Darrell Arthur. Nickname deriving from "Slim Shady," Darrell's nickname from High School.

Somebody at ESPN made a formula that gave us a 0.2% chance of making playoffs in mid-December. Would hate to be that guy. Tweet by John Hollinger after the Grizzlies locked a spot in the 13/14 playoffs. Of course, Hollinger created the formula for ESPN before taking a job with the Grizzlies.

Strotential - When a player has the ability to have a monster game followed by 50 games of ineptitude. (aka Coach Killer). Related to but not necessarily synonymous with: Incredible physical ability but low basketball IQ. The origin of the term comes from the vast potential never achieved by Stromile Swift.

Thabeast - Hasheem Thabeet. Term used by Thabeet fans and supporters referring to him being a beast of a shotblocker.

Thabust - Hasheem Thabeet. Derrogatory term for Thabeet based on many believing he will never live up to his high draft status.

Turtello ball - Nickname given to the basketball style of the Grizzlies under Mike Fratello, which involved slowing the game down and holding down scoring. Although it resulted in a trip to the playoffs and a lot of wins, it was generally seen as a less than exciting style of basketball.

You ain't writin' nothin' homeboy - A running joke with origins in Jason Williams using the quote while stealing a local reporter's pen after the Grizzlies were swept in the 2005 playoffs. The reporter had printed a negative quote from Williams during the playoff.

White Chocolate - Jason Williams. The nickname was started by a media relations assistant with when he played with the Kings.

Who's Your Haddadi? - Phrase that inspired underground T-shirts seen at the forum, based on events like Haddadi dunking on Shaq, and leveling and staring down LeBron during a pick.

You Got Grizzed - Having your offense disrupted and dismantled by the Grizzlies defense. http://espn.go.com/b...ng-their-groove

Zachtivity - Zach Randolph getting busy on the boards. (Coined by the Grizzlies radio team early in the 2012 season.)

ZBo - Zach Randolph. The nickname goes back to when Randolph was in junior high.

Zbo Don't Bluff - When interviewed about a double ejection and an almost altercation after a game in the locker room, Zbo answered reporters, "There's a lot of bluffing going on on the court, that's all. And I don't bluff."

Zbound - Offensive tip in. Scored as a rebound and a basket, this form of offensive rebounding has quickly become his trademark in Memphis. The term was first used on Grizzlies TV broadcasts in late January, and is picking up more use there.

(The) Zoo Crew - Self given nickname for the 2012 Grizzlies bench. Ellington, Speights, Bayless, and Pondexter.

I've included a lot of updates from this tread. I'm trying to keep the list related to general Grizzlies termanology, and not forum specific terminology (for example, I'm not including anything referencing individual posters, posting terms, or posting habits.) Part of the test I use to myself before adding to the list, is whether Griz fans who don't frequent these forums, would still be able to understand the term either automatically, or at least with minimal explaination. I do make exceptions for some items from noteworthy moments in the history of the team.

#2 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

I really like it.

If you can keep updating the main post with legit Grizz slang then this should be a sticky.

Nice idea, btw. biggrin.gif

#3 BeBoutBidness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

nice I like the list. These are a couple me and my friend came up with

Grizzlam- Religon practiced by Grizzly fans

Nation of Grizzlam- the Grizzly fanbase

Louis Bearakhann
- The Grizz aka Grizzly mascot

#4 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Haha, great idea! laugh.gif

PIN THIS THREAD

#5 Spodie Odie

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Strotential - When a player has the ability to have a monster game followed by 50 games of ineptitude.

Related to but not necessarily synonymous with: Incredible physical ability but low basketball IQ

Gasol 2.0 - Younger, better, stronger, tougher

Iversux - laugh.gif

#6 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Spodie Odie @ Jan 28 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strotential - When a player has the ability to have a monster game followed by 50 games of ineptitude.

Related to but not necessarily synonymous with: Incredible physical ability but low basketball IQ

Gasol 2.0 - Younger, better, stronger, tougher

Iversux - laugh.gif

OMG!!! How did I forget Strotential!?!?!? I've even explained that one to several people.

#7 MemphisPhil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif Love this thread.

MC Squared = Mike Conley Jr.

Gaycial = Instead of a facial when Rudy puts a poster dunk on a opposing defensive player.

Grizzletosis = A disease caused from long winning streaks. Prolonged exposure may cause over homeristic comments and the creation of silly threads about the Grizzlies.

Sticky this thread. laugh.gif

#8 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Memfrica - The land of Hasheem Thabeet.

#9 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Benji @ Jan 28 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit your post and add them lol

Already done.

#10 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (CashConsiderationsFan @ Jan 28 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Already done.

Oooops, sorry =D

You have my vote for sticky lol, even though my vote counts for nothing =/

#11 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,229 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

gotta add,

The Janitor

Meal Ticket

3YP

might also add "lightning in a bottle". anyone else remember when they started calling Dhantay Jones "The Bad Thing" after he posterized Yao Ming? Ming called him that after the game I believe...

Junkyard Dog

#12 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thabeast - How many fans of Hasheem Thabeet refer to him.
A Must Win - What every Memphis Grizzlies game apparently is.
Anyone have a link? - The most overused phrase in Grizzlies game-day threads.

#13 sativa417

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

Juice should probably be removed from the vocabulary after what happened with the last "Juice"

#14 sativa417

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

100 post rule

#15 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (sativa417 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juice should probably be removed from the vocabulary after what happened with the last "Juice"

I'm pretty sure OUR Juice won't kill two people (allegedly). Hopefully just one.

#16 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (sativa417 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
100 post rule

Hahahaha yes for sure!

100 Post Rule - A phrase frequently used in 2008 through early 2009 to call out a terrible thread started by someone who has less than 100 posts.

#17 MemphisPhil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

MVZ - Most Valuable Zach? Most Valuable ZBo? Variation of the MVP chant, which will hopefully be ringing through Fed Ex Forum soon as a tribute to just how valuable Zach Randolph has been to the team and the city.

I want a MVZ t-shirt asap!!

#18 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Benji @ Jan 28 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure OUR Juice won't kill two people (allegedly). Hopefully just one.

Our Juice saves his killing for the court.

#19 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (MemphisPhil @ Jan 28 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want a MVZ t-shirt asap!!

I think they should have MVZ headband night. As I said on the Tillery chat, imagine a sea of fans in yellow headbands chanting "MVZ" in unison.

#20 Spodie Odie

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Barone Ball - a style of basketball characterized by absolutely no defense and most shots occuring with 25+ seconds left on the shot clock.

You ain't writin' nothin' homeboy - inability to write because White Chocolate took your pen laugh.gif