151 replies to this topic

#61 Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (truebluememphian @ Mar 17 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unlike you Eli, I don't base my opinions on one game. Yeah I did see the game and I was pleased to see he got 11 rebounds. That was one game though and I have seen way more games where he disappears in the corner of the court. I'm not putting anything on Rudy alone, I'm just stating where I think Rudy would become a more effective player. Is that ok with you? DON'T ANSWER cause I don't care at all. Get your mind correct.

I don't base my opinions on one game, and I'm not about to entertain you at all. I know we don't need to trade Rudy so I don't care if you feel otherwise.

#62 CircleK83

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (360-Varial @ Mar 17 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He put up 17 and 11 because he took 21 shots and all of our bigs went down for him to grab boards. It had nothing to do with his athleticism.

#63 Chattown Grizzlies

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Academia, Memphis Grizzlies basketball, chess

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Mar 17 2009, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you...............but, don't call me Jesus. I just look like him, only with longer hair.

Instead of trading Rudy Gay, I wish we could trade some "fans" away .

There are NO real, better options at the three that ANY team is gonna give up for him anyway that's worth giving up on the 23yo who's role on the team has diminished YET, still manages 18.6/5.6/1.7/1.3/.7 which is nearly identical to last year's 20.1/6.2/2/1.4/1 "breakout phenom" year.

What's different about this year over last year?

I'm glad you asked.

Double teams and defenses zeroing in on Rudy. Instead of having to zero in on Pau (for half a year) and defenses being spread a little more with the threat of Mike Miller and JCN on the wings.

Instead of whining ALL OVER THIS BOARD, maybe some of you should actually pay attention to the reasons as to WHY and HOW we're losing as opposed to just tagging the guy having an off-night with his 17/11/2/1/ and 3 blocked shots. THat's not a bad stat line for a 7/21 night like RUdy had last night.

Maybe the problem isn't with Rudy.

How many of you clamoring to trade Rudy realized he had to be a 4 last night for much of the evening with both Darko and Arthur going down without significant minutes?

How many other 3's in the league can change to a 4 position without dropping their numbers and actually improve in every area with the exception of scoring and even then drop 17 on an off-shooting night.

His numbers are nearly identical to Aldridge's numbers this year (18/7.2/1.9/.9/.9) and most of you would cream your britches for Aldridge. Aldridge has for the most part, other teammates to draw other teams defenses off of him as well, at least moreso than Rudy does. Rudy is surrounded by rookies, remember?

What about these numbers ----> 22/7.1/3.3/1/.4 <---- all around a little bit better than Rudy's but.....BUT in the same ballpark as Rudy's. I'll let you figure out who's number's they are. Here's a hint though, at 14.4 million he's the highest paid player on his team, in his prime, and in NO WAY is tradable.

Yet, here we are.

With another POINTLESS trade Rudy thread because some dunderhead thinks he's got the answers to solve our teams problems by ridding ourselves of one of the better 3's in the league who's only real fault is being young despite being one of the oldest on the team.

So go ahead and make Rudy the scapegoat, run him out of town. It'll give me another team to watch because I know how good he is.

Watch your Grizzlyback OJ, you're next up in the crosshairs of idiocy.

EDIT: (because most are too lazy to look it up) the above numbers I mentioned are Carmelo Anthony's numbers that are slightly higher than dumb ole' scrub Rudy Gay.

+11111111111

#64 MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,948 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

I just hope the Tigers can give this board 3 weeks of respite. By that time we should be getting jacked up for the lottery.

P.S. I am going to get my Blake Griffin jersey. It is in the bag.

#65 Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (360-Varial @ Mar 17 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He put up 17 and 11 because he took 21 shots and all of our bigs went down for him to grab boards. It had nothing to do with his athleticism.

Really?

His athleticism doesn't play a part when he has to switch guarding a 4 in Aldridge, to a 3 in guarding Outlaw, back and forth all night long?
That, in and of itself, is an accomplishment and to make a 17/11/2/1/3 night out of it, even better!

#66 Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Mar 17 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?

His athleticism doesn't play a part when he has to switch guarding a 4 in Aldridge, to a 3 in guarding Outlaw, back and forth all night long?
That, in and of itself, is an accomplishment and to make a 17/11/2/1/3 night out of it, even better!

Some people won't consider any points that cannot be directly related to a specific stat... I don't see whats so hard about giving Rudy credit when credit is due. Instead he's "Cancer".

#67 dgause

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

Go get em C64!!! angry.gif

#68 Q

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Mar 17 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?

No I don't think it was his athleticism. He averages 5.7 for the season. Mike Miller averages over 6 for the year and just like Rudy (probably even moreso), he often has to swtich on to pfs. You mean to tell me Mike is more athletic or just as athletic as Rudy? Of course he's not. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due (Eli), I just don't think much is due here. I think Rudy played harder than he normally plays against Portland but I'm not impressed with his double double. 11 boards for a guy who is 6-8 is not a daunting challenge especially when you are short some bigs upfront, and 17pts off of 21 shots is absolutely dreadful. He has definitely had far worse games, but bragging about a double double when the guy took 21 shots for 17pts and contributing it to his superior athleticism is absurd. I'm not saying he had a terrible game, but posting a double double doesn't automatically make it a good one either.

And it's not even his numbers that disturb me the most about Rudy. It's his attitude. It's definitely been somewhat better as of late, but he still has a bit of a quitter's mentality and is an absolute ball hog. If he would settle for being the third option, I think the team would be better off, but he won't even play well with a guy who he knows can and will be better than him and that's what bothers me.

#69 Guest_truebluememphian_*

• Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Eli @ Mar 17 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't base my opinions on one game, and I'm not about to entertain you at all. I know we don't need to trade Rudy so I don't care if you feel otherwise.

Well don't get on the boards and try to single out one of my posts questioning whether I actually watch the game, talkin about you don't get people like me, when I'm not even one of the people talking about "Rudy needs to go". Don't want you to entertain, just get your stuff straight.

#70 Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (360-Varial @ Mar 17 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I don't think it was his athleticism. He averages 5.7 for the season. Mike Miller averages over 6 for the year and just like Rudy (probably even moreso), he often has to swtich on to pfs. You mean to tell me Mike is more athletic or just as athletic as Rudy? Of course he's not. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due (Eli), I just don't think much is due here. I think Rudy played harder than he normally plays against Portland but I'm not impressed with his double double. 11 boards for a guy who is 6-8 is not a daunting challenge especially when you are short some bigs upfront, and 17pts off of 21 shots is absolutely dreadful. He has definitely had far worse games, but bragging about a double double when the guy took 21 shots for 17pts and contributing it to his superior athleticism is absurd. I'm not saying he had a terrible game, but posting a double double doesn't automatically make it a good one either.

And it's not even his numbers that disturb me the most about Rudy. It's his attitude. It's definitely been somewhat better as of late, but he still has a bit of a quitter's mentality and is an absolute ball hog. If he would settle for being the third option, I think the team would be better off, but he won't even play well with a guy who he knows can and will be better than him and that's what bothers me.

Mike Miller rarely got switched off onto PFs. He was always used more in a 2/3 way when he was here and every 2 in the league could burn him. He's also a 3pt shooter who typically was not under the basket most of the time........just like Rudy.

When Rudy is required to play the 4 like last night, (which is something Mike Miller could never do)(even though they're practically the same size)(but, due to Rudy's athleticism and ability to play the perimeter and also to bang inside with a bit of success) he grabs 11 rebounds because he understands his role changed when Darko and later Arthur went out.

Why not put Hak in the game last night more?

Because Rudy did a **** fine job in guarding Aldridge last night.
After Aldridge's 15pt outburst in the 1st quarter being guarded by Arthur and Darko, Rudy held him to 7pts for the next 3 quarters and out rebounded him when he wasn't chasing Outlaw around the perimeter.

#71 Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (dgause @ Mar 17 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go get em C64!!! angry.gif

I'm not trying to get anybody BUT, I'm sick of a few posters dogging Gay ALL THE TIME.

Enough is enough, let a playa play without getting your fumes in his grill.

Gay is a great SF that can pull duty at the 2 and the 4 and be reasonably successful at it.

It you want to female-dog about somebody, gripe at the right players.

Jaric deserves some griping. 2/1/3 in 16min
Ross deserves some griping. 5/2/3 in 28min <----really? 28mins and that's all you got?

Arthur gave us a bagel while letting Aldridge go for 13 straight last night to open the game.
^^^As a mechanic would say,........."There's your problem, Mister".......^^^

We need a real option starting at power forward. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

Gasol didn't have the greatest game last night but, you all KNOW he's struggling against that rookie wall and his conditioning isn't the greatest.
(I give Gasol a pass because he has BY FAR exceeded my expectations for him this year.)

So, NO I say, Rudy isn't a cancer......

....he's a Leo.

#72 Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (truebluememphian @ Mar 17 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well don't get on the boards and try to single out one of my posts questioning whether I actually watch the game, talkin about you don't get people like me, when I'm not even one of the people talking about "Rudy needs to go". Don't want you to entertain, just get your stuff straight.

Not singling you out, my post was meant for everyone thats dogging on Rudy. When you said he never goes in the paint, I wanted to point out that last night he spent a lot of time in the paint. Thats all...

#73 Guest_truebluememphian_*

• Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Eli @ Mar 17 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not singling you out, my post was meant for everyone thats dogging on Rudy. When you said he never goes in the paint, I wanted to point out that last night he spent a lot of time in the paint. Thats all...

See, I didn't say he NEVER goes in the paint. My point was that he should spend more time inside the perimeter than outside the perimeter. That's all I have to say about that.

It's ridiculous for an athletic, agile, 6'9" forward with a 7'3" wingspan to not be dominating inside the perimeter. There are a lot of points and rebounds Rudy could be getting if he would do more work closer to the goal before getting the ball instead of getting it on the perimeter. I guess that's the coach's problem though.

#74 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Mar 17 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, NO I say, Rudy isn't a cancer......

....he's a Leo.

laugh.gif

#75 Q

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Mar 17 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I give Gasol a pass because he has BY FAR exceeded my expectations for him this year.)

Plus he's a rookie. Likewise, why can't I be disappointed in Rudy since he's failed to meet my expectations this season? Statistically, you would think that he's had a good year but he has played like crap for most of the year imo.

#76 Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (truebluememphian @ Mar 17 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, I didn't say he NEVER goes in the paint. My point was that he should spend more time inside the perimeter than outside the perimeter. That's all I have to say about that.

It's ridiculous for an athletic, agile, 6'9" forward with a 7'3" wingspan to not be dominating inside the perimeter. There are a lot of points and rebounds Rudy could be getting if he would do more work closer to the goal before getting the ball instead of getting it on the perimeter. I guess that's the coach's problem though.

I can agree with you here.

And I do think Hollins hasn't quite figured out how to use Rudy to the best of his abilities yet. He seems more interested in catching Conley up to speed 1st. I can't say I blame him for that though.

However.......

Your idea seems to be to move him more to a 4/3 insideout type as opposed to a 3/4 outside-in type of player.
If he's playing there, who's suppose to be spreading the defense out on the perimeter besides OJ and Conley?
What do we do with Arthur and Hak if we move Rudy in? THey can't play out there.
Ross? No.

Rudy needs to be out there but, what he needs is a clear out and be able to go one-on-one, or if the double team comes, he needs to be able to find an open man. He has to rely on his teammates for that though.

I think that Rudy needs to learn to play by patience as opposed to playing by speed and athleticism. THis, however, will need to be unlearned and relearned because that's an Iavaroni trait.

#77 aknbad177

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (360-Varial @ Mar 17 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dang u really dont like rudy. So since our bigs went down, the rebounds "automatically" go to rudy or any grizzlies because all is fair in rebounding. He really didnt even have to jump to get em huh?? Just appeared in his hands!

#78 Q

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (aknbad177 @ Mar 17 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dang u really dont like rudy. So since our bigs went down, the rebounds "automatically" go to rudy or any grizzlies because all is fair in rebounding. He really didnt even have to jump to get em huh?? Just appeared in his hands!

Rudy is a pretty good rebounder. I'm just saying that it helps to not have as many bigs to compete with. Just like in OJ's 16 rebound game. He quadrupled his average. Of course he had to go get them; they didn't magicallly fall into his hands, but you think it didn't help that there was no Chandler or West? Whether they're on the opposing team or the same team, fewer bigs inside usually means that someone else is going to get more boards than usual. Rudy is capable of doing that more often. I'm not trying to take any credit away from him. I'm just saying that his double double wasn't anything worthwhile. Some of you are acting like he pulled down 20 boards or something talking about his athleticism. He didn't have a monster rebounding performance. And to say his athleticism is why he scored 17pts on 7-21 shooting is just laughable to me.

#79 Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (360-Varial @ Mar 17 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus he's a rookie. Likewise, why can't I be disappointed in Rudy since he's failed to meet my expectations this season? Statistically, you would think that he's had a good year but he has played like crap for most of the year imo.

Of course you're welcome to your opinion.

Statictically he HAS had a good year WHILE playing like crap. <----That doesn't equal "suck."

It might equal inconsistentcy. Blame the coach for that one though.

THere was a point where Rudy gave up BUT, I can't blame it was because he realized what Iavytard was doing, wasn't gonna work.......EVER.

18.6/5.7/1.7/1.3/.7 <---- Rudy playing like "crap" in his 3rd year this year.
18.1/6.0/5.3/1.6/.4 <---- Andre Iguodala in his 5th year, this year
15.2/7.1/2.4/1.4/1.6 <-- Josh Smith in his 5th year, this year.
22/7.3/3.3.9/.9 <-------- Carmelo Anthony playing in his 6th year, this year.
20.2/6.3/4.5/1.6/.3 <---- Caron Butler this year in his 7th year, this year
20.2/5.7/3.7/1.0/.3 <---- Paul Pierce in his 11th year, this year.

These are some of the better SFs in the league and all have at least twice the experience in the league and all are surrounded by better or more experienced players than Rudy and I don't see a whole lot of difference between these guys and Rudy's numbers, except for assists.

He needs to work on the assists but, I think that will come when the "team" concept gelvelops.

#80 DesotoGrizz

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

I freely admit that I am not a fan of Rudy, but to insist that he needs to go makes me realize that this truely is a Memphis message board. Instead of focusing on the real issues of the team (which are quite varied but do include overall and starting talent) we put the blame on a single person.

Again, I don't care much for Rudy and I think decent SF's are plentiful but I have been impressed with his play as of late. I think we should temper the expectations we have of our players, because until this team finds some consistancy (especially in coaching) we cannot expect our players to be consistant. I say that to defend our players that have shown potential, we have others that throughout all this mess have yet to show anything and I believe "heart" would shine through at least occasionally. That needs to be our area of concern not a player that seemingly at worst is an 18ppg guy.

Like others on this board, I just get sick of the blame game.