WITH WHICH GUYS WOULD YOU KEEP TO BUILD A PLAYOFF CONTENDER?

16 replies to this topic

#1 RUNGMC9

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

I would stay with Rudy, OJ and Marc. We need some legit point guards, someone who can create open shots for the scorer in the team. and low post scoring.

#2 The People's Champ

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

I think they (THE GRIZZ) should bring in a veteran saavy but good point guard. A Jason Kidd when he come off the books from Dallas, Ben Gordon, Jason Terry, there are plenty of veteran point guards who still can play at a high level. That will take some of the pressure off Rudy, and Oj, while still getting a lot of wins during the season. Winning only 15-25 games a year will kill a players motivation and drive.

#3 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

I wish we could've somehow got Chauncey Billups.

#4 The People's Champ

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (BHZMAFIA @ Dec 24 2008, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish we could've somehow got Chauncey Billups.

That would have been awesome. I think we had a chance one time:) Hell, I even take Baron Davis right now for Mike Conley and a filler.

#5 The People's Champ

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

The Grizzlies approached New York Knicks basketball boss Donnie Walsh midway through the offseason about acquiring Zach Randolph.

Their proposal was a package that essentially included Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric for Randolph, a worthwhile talent and massive upgrade for the price.

Walsh took his time.

The Griz kept trying, and lobbed virtually the same overtures well into September.

Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal

The Grizzlies worked hard to trade for Zach Randolph, yanking a rebound away from Marc Gasol. But the Knicks waited for a a deal that would open cap room.

Walsh's reply in effect was "don't call us, we'll call you." Realizing he had two years to dump salary for 2010 free-agent shopping and could afford to window shop, Walsh took his time.

Make no mistake. Memphis wanted Randolph. The move would have been a basketball no-brainer and any perceived off-court issues were considered manageable.

But Walsh said no.

This past week proved why. Randolph was clearly worth a bigger and better deal, and one that wouldn't net players with contracts that run past the 2009-10 season. Jaric, whose deal expires after 2010-11, was the poison pill.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...icks-fans-hope/

#6 godsgift2dagame

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (The People's Champ @ Dec 24 2008, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Grizzlies approached New York Knicks basketball boss Donnie Walsh midway through the offseason about acquiring Zach Randolph.

Their proposal was a package that essentially included Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric for Randolph, a worthwhile talent and massive upgrade for the price.

Walsh took his time.

The Griz kept trying, and lobbed virtually the same overtures well into September.

The Grizzlies worked hard to trade for Zach Randolph, yanking a rebound away from Marc Gasol. But the Knicks waited for a a deal that would open cap room.

Walsh's reply in effect was "don't call us, we'll call you." Realizing he had two years to dump salary for 2010 free-agent shopping and could afford to window shop, Walsh took his time.

Make no mistake. Memphis wanted Randolph. The move would have been a basketball no-brainer and any perceived off-court issues were considered manageable.

But Walsh said no.

This past week proved why. Randolph was clearly worth a bigger and better deal, and one that wouldn't net players with contracts that run past the 2009-10 season. Jaric, whose deal expires after 2010-11, was the poison pill.

After every game, people panic or make excessive threads. Also, the players to get rid of/keep change on a daily if not hourly basis...

#7 K MASTA

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

Personally, if i was Wallace and Heisley let me. I would try to grab some of the Detroit players. I think Dumars is getting ready to rebuild and he would love to have Rudy Gay. I would do this trade..Trade.. Then use our capspace for Boozer, Milsap, or Bosh.

Mayo
Hamilton
Prince
Boozer
Gasol

in a perfect world.

#8 david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (RUNGMC9 @ Dec 24 2008, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would stay with Rudy, OJ and Marc. We need some legit point guards, someone who can create open shots for the scorer in the team. and low post scoring.

Rudy, Mayo, Gasol, Hak, Lowry. hak and lowry expendable depending on the trade.

im sure haks gone next season but i think its stupid to let him go. hes a wonderful bench 4. he does exactly what you need and hes shown improvement on D and Passing this year. lowry makes a good starter or bench player. conley has gotten better coming off the bench, im sure its confidence, but i bet we could trade with him for something valuable. so far lowry seems more versatile even though i suspect conley will be better in the long run.

thats who id try to build around. 3 starters to bench players. the rest idk

(id enjoy keeping ross too. hes a great bench 2)

#9 The People's Champ

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (K MASTA @ Dec 24 2008, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, if i was Wallace and Heisley let me. I would try to grab some of the Detroit players. I think Dumars is getting ready to rebuild and he would love to have Rudy Gay. I would do this trade..Trade.. Then use our capspace for Boozer, Milsap, or Bosh.

Mayo
Hamilton
Prince
Boozer
Gasol

in a perfect world.

K MASTA I like the proposed trade but I'm not sure if Dumars will sign off on it because of Darko? He might though.

#10 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,825 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

If the goal is to win this season then I wouldn't keep anyone outside Rudy, Ross and Mayo. They are ready to fill roles right now on contending teams.

If the goal is to be competitive in 2 years then I would keep Gasol, Milicic, Conley, Lowry, Mayo, Ross, Arthur and Haddadi. I feel all of these players will and can develop into playoff contending performers in the league. Likely they won't all be on the team in 2 years but they will be contributors in the NBA once they get some experience.

#11 pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,049 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (The People's Champ @ Dec 23 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would have been awesome. I think we had a chance one time:) Hell, I even take Baron Davis right now for Mike Conley and a filler.

Baron Davis, O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay together would be....

Disastrous.

#12 pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,049 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (The People's Champ @ Dec 23 2008, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walsh took his time.

But Walsh said no.

The commercial appeal reporting of the Grizz is a joke. All they do is spew out meaningless 'facts'.

If Jaric's contract was the poison pill...do you realize that they could have subbed Antoine Walker's expiring if they REALLY did want Zach Randolph.

Obviously they didn't want him. They would have taken him if they could have gotten him for nothing.

Nobody around here really critiques this organization like they should.

#13 The People's Champ

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (pardonmyinterruption @ Dec 24 2008, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Baron Davis, O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay together would be....

Disastrous.

I think Davis would fit well with the right coach. He's a beast and play maker. He and OJ would be deadly in the backcourt.

#14 JC

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (The People's Champ @ Dec 24 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Davis would fit well with the right coach. He's a beast and play maker. He and OJ would be deadly in the backcourt.

Wrong sorry but wrong...

if by right coach you mean Don Nelson then maybe.

I would keep CW and OJ and Rudy

#15 JC

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

This trade is another reason that I would keep CW without a doubt going forward.

How many deals like this did we see with Jerry West???

None. CW definitely likes to pull the trigger.

#16 El Lobo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (JC @ Dec 24 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This trade is another reason that I would keep CW without a doubt going forward.

How many deals like this did we see with Jerry West???

None. CW definitely likes to pull the trigger.

Yeah. But how's his aim and accuracy unsure.gif

#17 Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (david sparks @ Dec 23 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im sure haks gone next season but i think its stupid to let him go. hes a wonderful bench 4. he does exactly what you need and hes shown improvement on D and Passing this year.

word.