Photo

Are The Grizzlies Now The Second Best Team In The West?

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#241 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

They haven't struggled to win games through their health concerns.  So they are more justified in ignoring them. The Grizzlies health concerns has landed them a low playoff seed 2 out of the last 3 years.

Its been a concern for them over the last 3-4 years when it comes to the playoffs. They lost to an overachieving Portland team last year (who was worse than the team we beat) because CP3 and Blake went down in Game 4. I also think they've had the luxury of having at least 1 of Blake or CP3 playing throughout the season when the other player was out. i.e. Blake's great year in 2013-14 when CP3 missed 20 games, CP3 playing all 82 when Blake missed 15 in 2014-15 and we all know what happened last year.

We've had health concerns every single season, but we've still been able to remain a .610 win % team in all of those years. 

I'm in agreeance of the injury concerns, but I think its being overblown. I don't think it should be used to justify a team's ranking for next season unless its guaranteed a particular player is out for the year. 

Its a lot of people (or at least through NBA conversation) who think Conley is actually coming off a serious injury as well. 

#242 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:24 AM

Its been a concern for them over the last 3-4 years when it comes to the playoffs. They lost to an overachieving Portland team last year (who was worse than the team we beat) because CP3 and Blake went down in Game 4. I also think they've had the luxury of having at least 1 of Blake or CP3 playing throughout the season when the other player was out. i.e. Blake's great year in 2013-14 when CP3 missed 20 games, CP3 playing all 82 when Blake missed 15 in 2014-15 and we all know what happened last year.

We've had health concerns every single season, but we've still been able to remain a .610 win % team in all of those years. 

I'm in agreeance of the injury concerns, but I think its being overblown. I don't think it should be used to justify a team's ranking for next season unless its guaranteed a particular player is out for the year. 
Its a lot of people (or at least through NBA conversation) who think Conley is actually coming off a serious injury as well.

But still whats wrong with calling them a 7 seed when they were a 7 seed two years ago and tied for 6 last year?

#243 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

But still whats wrong with calling them a 7 seed when they were a 7 seed two years ago and tied for 6 last year?

That's like me mentioning the Spurs being a 6th seed a year ago lol.

We were also basically the 4th seed record wise and a .5 game back from 3rd during our last reasonably healthy year. And our 7th seed was due to Marc playing in 59 games. I've yet to see Marc have b2b seasons of playing less than 60 games. Maybe it happens this year, but I hope not. 

My main concern is who they have ahead of Memphis. Of coure you have GSW, then maybe the Spurs and LAC. But, then you start putting an overachieving Portland team, Utah making a drastic jump (I think they will be good, but not going for non playoffs to a top 5 seed and potentially homecourt), and a team that just lost Durant. That's the issue. 

We were also basically the 4th seed record wise and a .5 game back from 3rd during our last reasonably healthy year. And our 7th seed was due to Marc playing in 59 games. I've yet to see Marc have b2b seasons of playing less than 60 games. Maybe it happens this year, but I hope not. 

My main concern is who they have ahead of Memphis. Of coure you have GSW, then maybe the Spurs and LAC. But, then you start putting a Durant-less OKC team, an overachieving Portland team who should be expected to take a step back after the West had an odd down year and Utah who I anticipate being good but not good enough to potentially have homecourt in the 1st round.

Do I anticipate a 1 game improvement from last season that was a down year due to drastic injury cases or something more in line with what our win% has been throughout the last 3-4 years WITH injuries involved? 

#244 chasingpapes

chasingpapes

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

I like when sites do predictions cuz every now n then ill plug it into nba live n simulate the playoffs lol.

#245 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

My main concern is who they have ahead of Memphis. Of coure you have GSW, then maybe the Spurs and LAC. But, then you start putting an overachieving Portland team, Utah making a drastic jump (I think they will be good, but not going for non playoffs to a top 5 seed and potentially homecourt), and a team that just lost Durant. That's the issue. 

My main concern is who they have ahead of Memphis. Of coure you have GSW, then maybe the Spurs and LAC. But, then you start putting a Durant-less OKC team, an overachieving Portland team who should be expected to take a step back after the West had an odd down year and Utah who I anticipate being good but not good enough to potentially have homecourt in the 1st round.

Do I anticipate a 1 game improvement from last season that was a down year due to drastic injury cases or something more in line with what our win% has been throughout the last 3-4 years WITH injuries involved?

And it could have made sense to predict the Spurs to stay in the 6 seed fange had they not signed a perennial AllStar. The Grizzlies signed Parsons but I think the point here is that the folks at ESPN dont see him as an impact player. They dont see the injuries as an anomoly and something that will correct itself. They see an injury prone team with a lack of star power to carry them through the hard times.

#246 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

Grizzlies are not making the playoffs

#247 Subliminal

Subliminal

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

+1

Will be battling the lakers for worst in the west, and this is with perfect health. You heard it here second folks

#248 Thomas

Thomas

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

Just. Tank.

#249 Subliminal

Subliminal

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Just. Tank.

Seriously. This is the year.

#250 scooter

scooter

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

+1

Will be battling the lakers for worst in the west, and this is with perfect health. You heard it here second folks

LOL   Subliminal has just broken his sarcasm meter!

#251 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:43 PM

I wish we were battling with the Lakers, we'll be fighting for 9th

#252 Subliminal

Subliminal

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

I wish we were battling with the Lakers, we'll be fighting for 9th

LOL. Grizz will be last spot at full strength what are you on bro bro.

#253 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

This is about to be a long two months :( At least football is almost back B)

#254 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:59 AM

This is about to be a long two months :( At least football is almost back B)

Olympic basketball starts in a week though. Do you guys get any games on TV other than the ones the US play?

#255 SC Grizz

SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

Olympic basketball starts in a week though. Do you guys get any games on TV other than the ones the US play?

I doubt it, but honestly have no idea. 

#256 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.

#257 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.

That's what the preseason is for

#258 smit-tay griz

smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

If I were a betting man I would take that bet.  The only way the Grizzlies miss the playoffs is if we still have injury problems.

#259 grizzgolf

grizzgolf

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

Grizzlies will be 3rd or 4th. If we get some luck with injuries on other teams we can make a run. I don't know how deep but we can make a run.

#260 Once_a_hater

Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,622 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Warriors
Spurs
Clippers
OKC
Dallas Jazz Memphis Wolves Blazers