44 replies to this topic

#41 Zappastache

Zappastache

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted Today, 03:23 PM

Well, he did have surgery Jan. 12, didn't he? I can't imagine him being ready to go NBA-level in 4 weeks. 

Whoa i didn't even realize this. Thought he just had the one surgery this summer and that was it...

Looked it up and apparently the timetable after the surgery was 6 weeks so maybe he'll be back soon. We can hope...

#42 Southern Dreadz

Southern Dreadz

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:I dunno...how does your momma look? She might interest me.

Posted Today, 03:25 PM

Basically FO telling the coach he will not lose his job if priority is placed on developing a draft pick.

A huge crux of the problem as I think Vernon and/or Hasseltine were delineating on the radio. Joerger, in his 3rd season, is the 4th most tenured coach in the Western conference. It especially doesn't help when Kerr comes in with NEVER before coaching at all and his team wins the championship and is poised the next season to do so again while also breaking the record for the number of wins in a single season.

There is little oo no incentive to spend time developing young players. There is only the incentive to try to win as many games now, in the short term. Tomorrow and next season matters not one single bit when the coach's future is so dependent upon winning now.

#43 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,218 posts

Posted Today, 03:53 PM

A huge crux of the problem as I think Vernon and/or Hasseltine were delineating on the radio. Joerger, in his 3rd season, is the 4th most tenured coach in the Western conference. It especially doesn't help when Kerr comes in with NEVER before coaching at all and his team wins the championship and is poised the next season to do so again while also breaking the record for the number of wins in a single season.

There is little oo no incentive to spend time developing young players. There is only the incentive to try to win as many games now, in the short term. Tomorrow and next season matters not one single bit when the coach's future is so dependent upon winning now.

Right.  But the biggest irony of all is that the last two championship teams were full of Star players that were drafted and developed by that team.   Spurs: Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Kawhi.   Warriors: Steph, Thompson, Harrison, Ezeli, and Draymond.   So obviously it is well worth the time.  Not even considering our two best players were basically drafted by the team (Mike and Marc).    It has been proven time and time again that the most likely route to acquiring a Star player is thru development. 

#44 TheProof

TheProof

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted Today, 03:55 PM

It is extremely unlikely for Adams to be better than Hood at this point simply based on opportunity. Hood not only sees the floor regularly, they actually put the ball in his hands and let him make plays. This experience will prove to be invaluable. It's the only way to develop into a playmaker. Even if Adams gets on the court for the Grizzlies, he will likely be relegated to a spot shooter and 2 or 3 dribble guy. Can anyone actually see Dave running a pick and roll for Adams like they do for Hood? I can't. At this point, his career niche as a spot shooter will become carved in stone as it does for most players.

I wouldnt say extremely unlikely bro. This offseason could be one of high-turnover.

#45 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,107 posts

Posted Today, 03:56 PM

I wouldnt say extremely unlikely bro. This offseason could be one of high-turnover.

Im not saying thats impossible but I mostly expect this same blueprint to return next year.