8 replies to this topic

#1 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,213 posts

Posted Today, 09:24 AM

After this past season, there are many on this board that are ready to do some variation of moving on from some of our team and core, perhaps shifting our identity, possibly putting us in a rebuild.

But not many are talking about what it would look like to make one last push with this core. 

I expect there are very few on this board that believe this core has multiple years left in them.  They may be around, but they are in the minority.

But there are some, even those who are ready to see some trades, who would accept that perhaps this team has one final run in them, and maybe even deserves another go at it.

After all, in the games we were at as good of a strength as we could muster, we beat Golden State.  So the jury is really still out as to how far this roster could truly go, with the right help.

So what does "one last gasp" look like?

Well, I think if you know you have one year, you go out and get the best one year option you can find and do whatever you can to address issues in your roster outside the core 4.  This would mean going after an aging star SG or SF, plugging in Tony Allen to the other spot and giving C-Lee first spot off the bench.

In this scenario, going into luxury tax territory would be acceptable, because you're accepting that after this season, you are breaking up the core.  What that looks like, we've already talked ad infinitum on these boards, and this isn't the topic here.

I also think it means moving on Jeff Green, getting at least one decent sub behind Gasol and Z-bo, and then filling the rest of your bench with long bomb artists and shooters.  No other goal but find guys who can fill it up.

So the question becomes, who is an aging SG or SF who could come in and be an effective part of this team?

I am curious who people could come up with.  I am not advocating any one selection - I'm just wondering who people might think would be impactful and available.

We've joked about getting Paul Pierce for years, but he would be someone that would fit this scenario, but he might not be as easy to obtain now.  Or Dwayne Wade, if rumors if his wanting to opt out of his Miami deal and willing to go somewhere to get paid (since he took a big pay cut on his last deal).  Wade wouldn't bring outside shooting, but his ability to get to the rim might be just as effective in our starting unit.  He's still a 20+ scorer.

I already know anyone advocating making moves to get younger or move on from GnG would hate both of these players for our team.  This is not the point.  Imagine a one year window with the core 4, and tell me who fits as a SG or SF - what veteran might be vulnerable to acquisition- without breaking up the core 4 - and still effective enough to make a positive impact on our team?

#2 TheProof

TheProof

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted Today, 09:39 AM

People never talk about "one last push with this core" for two main reasons.

1.) If we keep this "core" any longer, Gasol will probably leave.

and

2.) We've had this core for 5 years now and we keep coming up short for primarily the same exact reason every year.

The Mavericks were a playoff contender pretty much every season since 2001, but it took them taking/making some significant risks/changes over the years to actually break through and win the title back in 2011. We are gonna have to do the same if we're ever gonna break through.

The reasonable Grizzlies fans realize this, and that's why nobody is gonna get too excited about "one last push with this core".

#3 lil'tony wroten

lil'tony wroten

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

I think Wesley Mathews or Demare Carroll might be our best bet, before we sign gasol offer Mathews near max then go into the tax for one year, tax line will rise next year enough to absorb Mathews salary and conleys raise,,,, Im guessing $12mil might get us Carroll, then after we get either Mathews or Carroll we can go over tax with gasol,.... I think adding Mo Speights  would be a nice veteran upgrade, might have to overpay a little (7mill?) to get him, but he would get back up PF spot solidified, I really think Jam Green could contribute nicely but hes a year away from being good enough as a primary back up,... I think we can go veteran without aging superstar

#4 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

I think Wesley Mathews or Demare Carroll might be our best bet, before we sign gasol offer Mathews near max then go into the tax for one year, tax line will rise next year enough to absorb Mathews salary and conleys raise,,,, Im guessing $12mil might get us Carroll, then after we get either Mathews or Carroll we can go over tax with gasol,.... I think adding Mo Speights  would be a nice veteran upgrade, might have to overpay a little (7mill?) to get him, but he would get back up PF spot solidified, I really think Jam Green could contribute nicely but hes a year away from being good enough as a primary back up,... I think we can go veteran without aging superstar

Before you can do that, you have to renounce the rights to Koufos and Calathes, which would free up about $6.8M and hope Green opts out or maybe trade him for a stretch 4. Then, you would have to look to move either Lee or TA, along with possibly VC to free up more room. Adding a big piece to the puzzle will still require us to move players around. TA would probably be the most likely core piece to be moved.

Either way, I agree with Proof. The one last push scenario just doesn't excite me at all because realistically, I don't expect Wade or Pierce to choose Memphis over some of the other suitors in the NBA.

#5 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted Today, 11:04 AM

People that think we have 1 year left with this core are drama queens.

The problem is that you all think nothing can be added to "this core." You all think that (with our entire back court (beno, mike and tony) down with injuries and the grizzlies still takes the warriors to 6 games that this was our last hurrah. 

good grief.

why don't you guys become gs warriors fans because I can guarantee you that no paying fans (how many of you all even go to games?) think the way this board thinks.

that's why you all are always pitting the "fans" against the board. lol 

#6 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,213 posts

Posted Today, 11:07 AM

Man, talk about some Debbie Downers...

I didn't ask who was in favor of this. That's not the freakin' point.  Read for comprehension, not as a jumping off place to say what almost everyone else is saying in multiple threads already.

But I guess this post isn't as "hopeful" and this board is way more about hope right now.  "Gee, if we just gutted the team, we could have fun in the draft!  Yippee!"

I hate to break it to you folks, it is way more likely that this core stays together for not just next year, but another year after (when Z-bo and Allen's contracts are in their final year).  I am simply being kind when I say "imagine this", because in reality, it's probably our team for the next two seasons. 

So the true "hope" is to think about who we might be able to obtain to get us closer to competing for a championship as we currently stand.  The most likely choices for our franchise the next two years are to either put the right pieces around the core 4, or to pretend that the core 4 plus whatever sham bench they put together will be enough.

I am in favor of reshaping (but not gutting) the roster.  However, it is not as likely as the core 4 being intact next season.  So I can either find some lemonade or go into training camp ready to declare next season a waste of time.  I'd rather explore reasons to be hopeful for next season rather than hopeful for one night out of the year where we all get to whine and moan about who we didn't draft.

#7 Father Pat

Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted Today, 11:12 AM

Wes Mathews is a broken pipe dream. Even if the Grizzlies landed him, he isn't expected to be on the court until 2016, and it will be awhile after that before he is back to near form. He may never be 100%.
Getting "aged stars" won't cut it on an aged team. The Grizzlies need young legs.
KK is most likely gone. A quality back up center will be added to the obvious end of season needs. Our 1 year window season was this past season. Not giving Adams decent minutes and gambling on Jeff Green kind of screamed that.
A one year window season after a one year window season will not turn out well. Zbo should needs to come off the bench for at least half of his games next season, but right now there is no one to fill that void.  We also need a young full time starter. Hopefully Adams can get it done.

#8 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

A one year window season after a one year window season will not turn out well. Zbo should needs to come off the bench for at least half of his games next season, but right now there is no one to fill that void.  We also need a young full time starter. Hopefully Adams can get it done.

What possible reason does zbo need to come off the bench, explain this to me? Are we in bazzaro world? Ya'll really aren't going to let this go until we are back in the tony barrone era of just go out there and play boys. 

#9 Father Pat

Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

What possible reason does zbo need to come off the bench, explain this to me? Are we in bazzaro world? Ya'll really aren't going to let this go until we are back in the tony barrone era of just go out there and play boys.

see:
"Dave I Hope You Are Listen To Me: Your One Job Next Year: Keep Our Players Healthy"

...then realize that the 34 year old version of ZBo will not be as good as the 33 year old version who kind of hit a wall after the all star break, and was terrible while playing second games of B2B's during that span. As far as your reference to "bazzaro world", based on your need to start a thread for every little thought that crosses your mind as if this is your own personal blog, and having no consideration for others that post here and their point of views, then yes, you most definitely are in "bazzaro world", but we are not there with you.