112 replies to this topic

#101 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

If we don't get to the promised land or close to it then the CORE four should at minimum become the Big Three.   Pick the 3 guys most important to winning and build around them. 

It's darn near impossible to transform the offense and raise the ceiling of a team when its main pieces remains exactly same - year after year.  As we have seen repeatedly they will revert to what is comfortable and that is just human nature.

Like others have mentioned ATL kept Teague, Horford but moved on from Joe and Josh while adding Korver and Milsap.  At the time of the moves no one would say that Milsap and Korver are more talented players than Josh and Joe.  However, removing those guys allowed ATL to transform their offense and raise their ceiling.

GSW removed Monta (got them to playoffs) then later moved DLee and Iggy to the bench - that shakeup has raised their ceiling from "toughout" to "contender" in one season.

Also "let's just enjoy the ride" mentality is fine as long as the Grizz Mgmt has the "let's win it all" mentality.   "Let's win it all" mentality will require some changes to main and minor pieces just like every other competitive professional team sport in history.

#102 LuvThem Grizzlies

LuvThem Grizzlies

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

If we don't get to the promised land or close to it then the CORE four should at minimum become the Big Three.   Pick the 3 guys most important to winning and build around them. 

It's darn near impossible to transform the offense and raise the ceiling of a team when its main pieces remains exactly same - year after year.  As we have seen repeatedly they will revert to what is comfortable and that is just human nature.

Like others have mentioned ATL kept Teague, Horford but moved on from Joe and Josh while adding Korver and Milsap.  At the time of the moves no one would say that Milsap and Korver are more talented players than Josh and Joe.  However, removing those guys allowed ATL to transform their offense and raise their ceiling.

GSW removed Monta (got them to playoffs) then later moved DLee and Iggy to the bench - that shakeup has raised their ceiling from "toughout" to "contender" in one season.

Also "let's just enjoy the ride" mentality is fine as long as the Grizz Mgmt has the "let's win it all" mentality.   "Let's win it all" mentality will require some changes to main and minor pieces just like every other competitive professional team sport in history.

One thing you didn't mention was a change in coaches which I believe has had a dramatic effect on the team.

Perhaps with a coach like Mike Malone that could do the same with the Grizzlies.

#103 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

One thing you didn't mention was a change in coaches which I believe has had a dramatic effect on the team.

Perhaps with a coach like Mike Malone that could do the same with the Grizzlies.

We will not know if a change in coaching is needed until the Grizz get the correct personnel for Joerger. His personnel has remained pretty much the same, which is why its hard to critique his style. The roster moves need to come first, then we can evaluate Joerger from that standpoint. 

I agree 100% with GTF.

#104 LuvThem Grizzlies

LuvThem Grizzlies

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

We will not know if a change in coaching is needed until the Grizz get the correct personnel for Joerger. His personnel has remained pretty much the same, which is why its hard to critique his style. The roster moves need to come first, then we can evaluate Joerger from that standpoint. 

I agree 100% with GTF.

How do you know whether Joerger has a say or not in player personnel? How long are you going to be willing to give him? You think he wanted VC or not? I disagree, They got rid of Q and TP, so far that doesn't seemed to me to have worked out so well for the Grizzlies, I don't think their record has matched what it was before.

I don't know if Q was guarding him or not but Danny Green didn't put up ONE SINGLE SHOT in the SA loss to NO. I read Pounding The Rock and posters there said NO was letting the driver go and covering the 3s.

Those posters must've been correct, SA was 3-10 from 3.

#105 LuvThem Grizzlies

LuvThem Grizzlies

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

I agree 100% with GTF.

You think Joerger is a good coach? Perhaps Joerger is too much a gentleman to win this way but I would've started hacking DAJ in the 3rd Q. This was a very important game and I would have made DAJ beat me or make Rivers take him out but he didn't and the Grizz lost. Let's see what SA does.

#106 CarloJ63

CarloJ63

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:35 AM

I don't know if Q was guarding him or not but Danny Green didn't put up ONE SINGLE SHOT in the SA loss to NO. I read Pounding The Rock and posters there said NO was letting the driver go and covering the 3s.

Those posters must've been correct, SA was 3-10 from 3.

If you have a rim protector like Anthony Davis, that is probably the best strategy against the Spurs.  I've always liked their coach...I think he's a good one.

#107 Subliminal

Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

This thread has a vaguely familiar ring to it.#LetsTank

You and Subliminal the same person?

Hey let's get it right, it's #justtank or #justtankalready

Maybe we should start #tanktheplayoffs ? :ph34r:

#108 LadPro

LadPro

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:being tgmtel

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

This thread has a vaguely familiar ring to it.

#LetsTank

Not really. This thread is suggesting that we stay competitive. Rebuild, as in go for a new look...as opposed to go for a #1 draft pick.

#109 smit-tay griz

smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

No

And I am not a LetsTank guy

Nah, I didn't really think so, just like when the sarcasm-meter pegs out every time Subliminal posts it.

#110 BigHunkALove

BigHunkALove

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 AM

Hey let's get it right, it's #justtank or #justtankalready
Maybe we should start #tanktheplayoffs ? :ph34r:

yeah I'd like to see that happen...not.

It ain't in these guy's makeup.

But thanks for the laugh...And the correction

#111 tjazz22

tjazz22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

If we don't get to the promised land or close to it then the CORE four should at minimum become the Big Three. Pick the 3 guys most important to winning and build around them.

It's darn near impossible to transform the offense and raise the ceiling of a team when its main pieces remains exactly same - year after year. As we have seen repeatedly they will revert to what is comfortable and that is just human nature.

Like others have mentioned ATL kept Teague, Horford but moved on from Joe and Josh while adding Korver and Milsap. At the time of the moves no one would say that Milsap and Korver are more talented players than Josh and Joe. However, removing those guys allowed ATL to transform their offense and raise their ceiling.

Also "let's just enjoy the ride" mentality is fine as long as the Grizz Mgmt has the "let's win it all" mentality. "Let's win it all" mentality will require some changes to main and minor pieces just like every other competitive professional team sport in history.

100%. Seems like the word "overhaul" is what seems like has everybody one one end or the other.

I do think changes need to be made. Not th whole team. But somebody has to roll. We have to plug a couple of spots with better players and see what we have in a couple of the young guys. Adams especially. I like stokes but think I will ride with Ja Green because of his athleticism and he can be more versatile. If we didn't have ZBo I think I'd want to keep him as a young banger.

I think we need a Mo Williams behind Conley.
Play Adams and move CLee.
Play/start Jeff at 3...And if he's Zbos primary backup then...We need a true backup at the 3 so Jeff can play the 4..I say someone like CJ miles. He can play multiple positions. (James Johnson😁,)

If we want another back up for ZBo. I want Bass, Amir Johnson, or a Patrick Patterson.

As for backup C...Kaman.

Out.. CLee for Adams growth
Beno for Mo
Vince,Luer,KK maybe stokes

Which core piece to let go? TA would be the easiest IMO.

#112 tjazz22

tjazz22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:09 PM

Or Terrence Jones. Forgot about Him.lol

#113 Ndq0327

Ndq0327

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:My family, sports, fishing, my xbox, and browsing the web.

Posted Today, 02:01 AM

I think we should look and see if we can swap CLee for Randy Foye its a low maintenance move but its very versatile when you look at it closer. Bringing in Foye still gives you 3point shooting plus a secondary ball handler to start with Conley but the best part is that Foye can come off the bench and stiff be productive where CLee has proven not to be as productive off the bench.

With Foye it also give you a player that can be moved out of the lineup for Adams to start and there be no quarrels about it.

I also think we move off of Carter and replace him with Wes Johnson. Johnson will be cheap and a better back up than vc has proven to be.

I want to see what jam green and stokes can do when given minutes so im ok with the back up pf.

As far as C goes i would like KK back but as long as who ever we get can protect the rim it doesnt really matter.