Should The Grizz Make A Run At Danny Granger?

74 replies to this topic

#1 King Dork

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

He got traded to Philly and they are reportedly going to release him. Could ne a cheap upgrade to Prince for the remainder of the season.

#2 BigHunkALove

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostKing Dork, on 20 February 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

He got traded to Philly and they are reportedly going to release him. Could ne a cheap upgrade to Prince for the remainder of the season.
How does release him work? Is it like Bynum, where he can be picked up off-waivers for min money (or less than his original $16MIL contract)?

#3 Tom (formerly Awesome-O)

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

If he gets bought out, of course we should make a run at him. But we'll likely have to compete with Miami, Oklahoma City, etc. for his services.

#4 King Dork

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostBigHunkALove, on 20 February 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

How does release him work? Is it like Bynum, where he can be picked up off-waivers for min money (or less than his original $16MIL contract)?
Yeap, we can get him for the league min

#5 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostTom (formerly Awesome-O), on 20 February 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

If he gets bought out, of course we should make a run at him. But we'll likely have to compete with Miami, Oklahoma City, etc. for his services.

I think Danny Granger will choose Memphis over any of those team's, he actually will have a chance to start here if he stay healthy by the end of the year, Memphis should remind him of Indiana team wise and he'll fit right in, you'll think that he'll want to go to a playoff team and the only team he'll have a real chance to start is the grizzlies and what better way to prove you can still play and be effective

#6 King Dork

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostTom (formerly Awesome-O), on 20 February 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

The fact that he could possibly start here has to be worth something

#7 BigHunkALove

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

View Postrealgfan, on 20 February 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

I think Danny Granger will choose Memphis over any of those team's, he actually will have a chance to start here if he stay healthy by the end of the year, Memphis should remind him of Indiana team wise and he'll fit right in, you'll think that he'll want to go to a playoff team and the only team he'll have a real chance to start is the grizzlies and what better way to prove you can still play and be effective

View PostKing Dork, on 20 February 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

The fact that he could possibly start here has to be worth something
Hopefully Danny likes blues and/or rockabilly. Hey, even if he likes Souther Rap that'd be cool with me. Its a big IF, but how good would the Grizz be if they had him as the starting SF....DANGEROUS!

There is something to be said about the similar structure of the team to Indiana, and the fact that the team is a legit contender (barring anymore significant injuries). Maybe Levien can use this as the main selling points: guaranteed starter on a contender team that can beat just about anyone in the league on their day. Just need to tell Dave to dump his "I'll start the Vets" policy.

#8 jetfixer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I thought we had no money, but it would be a good deal.

#9 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostBigHunkALove, on 20 February 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Hopefully Danny likes blues and/or rockabilly. Hey, even if he likes Souther Rap that'd be cool with me. Its a big IF, but how good would the Grizz be if they had him as the starting SF....DANGEROUS!

There is something to be said about the similar structure of the team to Indiana, and the fact that the team is a legit contender (barring anymore significant injuries). Maybe Levien can use this as the main selling points: guaranteed starter on a contender team that can beat just about anyone in the league on their day. Just need to tell Dave to dump his "I'll start the Vets" policy.
Danny is a vet too

#10 jetfixer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I doubt a player in that situation would sign with a non-playoff team.

#11 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

His vet minimum could put us over the luxury tax threshold, and numbers wise he hasn't been much better than Prince this season, if at all.
I think everyone is thinking he's the Danny Granger from 3 seasons ago and not the Danny Granger that found himself starting only 2 games over the past 2 seasons and getting dumped by a team looking to overtake the Heat.

#12 Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Pacers likely traded Granger because he has nothing left and he would be wise to play with the Sixers so he can take all the shots he needs to get his game back.

#13 BigHunkALove

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

View Postrealgfan, on 20 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

Danny is a vet too
I know, but I meant a Grizzly vet

#14 BigHunkALove

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostFather Pat, on 20 February 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

His vet minimum could put us over the luxury tax threshold, and numbers wise he hasn't been much better than Prince this season, if at all.
I think everyone is thinking he's the Danny Granger from 3 seasons ago and not the Danny Granger that found himself starting only 2 games over the past 2 seasons and getting dumped by a team looking to overtake the Heat.

View PostDwash, on 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Pacers likely traded Granger because he has nothing left and he would be wise to play with the Sixers so he can take all the shots he needs to get his game back.
True, but also because Indiana now has their team chemistry built around Paul George, who will be a FA at season's end and probably command $15-18MILL for 4 years

#15 ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Have people seen Granger's stats this season? He should have zero chance at starting at sf for Memphis

#16 BigHunkALove

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostItIsWhatItIs, on 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Have people seen Granger's stats this season? He should have zero chance at starting at sf for Memphis
The reality check has arrived....

#17 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostBigHunkALove, on 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

The reality check has arrived....

Lol Granger could be just as bad as Prince but I'll still take a risk on him for the vet minimum also playing behind the second best two way small forward in the league puts you at a disadvantage on the stat sheets

#18 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostItIsWhatItIs, on 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

This.

Better yet, has anybody even watched him play this season? He's not the same guy from 4 or 5 seasons ago. He definitely isn't better than James Johnson, and is barely better than Prince.

I'll pass on him.

#19 bgassassin

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

No thank you.

#20 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Back in the day ('07-'11) I would get Granger on my fantasy teams every year because he was consistently a stat monster, but he has not seemed to recovery from his last injury.

I'm still a fan of his, but he's always been rather injury-prone. He missed 15 games in '08-'09, 20 in '09-'10, and another 20 in '11-'12.

If he can stay healthy, I do still see him being a 13-15ppg guy.