Grizzlies & Rockets - 10/25/2013

213 replies to this topic

#1 SixthMan

Hall of Famer

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

.10 Year Anniversary Year Anniversary . 10 Year Anniversary Year Anniversary . 10 Year Anniversary Year Anniversary . 10 Year Anniversary Year Anniversary . 10 Year Anniversary

Matchups
Date & Time: Friday, October 25, 7:00 pm CT
Television: No Local Coverage
Radio/Audio: 92.9FM, 680AM, Affiliates, NBA ALP/GT
Watch Parties: None

Benches

Grizzlies Andre Barrett Jerryd Bayless Nick Calathes Ed Davis Melvin Ely Jamaal Franklin Tony Gaffney Kosta Koufos John Leuer Mike Miller
Grizzlies Quincy Pondexter Willie Reed
Rockets Ronnie Brewer Aaron Brooks Marcus Camby Isaiah Canaan Omri Casspi Robert Covington Troy Daniels Francisco Garcia Terrence Jones Jeremy Lin
Rockets Donatas Motiejunas Greg Smith Reggie Williams

Game Information

Previews: CBS | ESPN | NBA | Yahoo

Stat Comparisons: ESPN | FOX | NBA

Depth: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

Referee Assignments: NBA

Live Game Info: CBS | ESPN | FOX | NBA

Play-By-Plays: CBS | ESPN | NBA

Box Scores: CBS | ESPN | FOX | NBA | Yahoo

Shot Charts: CBS | ESPN | NBA

Game Flows: CBS | ESPN | Popcorn Machine

Recaps: CBS | ESPN | FOX | NBA | Yahoo

#2 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Can we just skip this game, or nah?

#3 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

we comin for you dwight

#4 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Expect the first Prince appearance of the preseason, sometime about the middle of the second quarter.

#5 El Lobo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Blow out game.

#6 Memphis Madness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

This is not a must win game for us, but we can't get blown out. Especially in our own building. The Rockets are a top tier Western Conference team so we could meet them in the playoffs. Possibly in the first round. We need some positives and some momentum out of this game to take into the regular season. ... this might be more of a STATEMENT game than a must win game. We have to control the tempo and play our game. A win would be great, but we at least need to look good. This is a pretty good matchup for us. We have Conley, Bayless, and Calathes to go against Jeremy Lin and Patrick Beverley. Then we have Tony Allen and Q Pon to defend James Harden. Marc Gasol vs. Dwight Howard should be a war too. They have a better small forward in Chandler Parsons but we have better power forwards. Tony Gaffney should do well in this game against either Parsons at the 3 or against their power forwards by committee.

#7 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostMemphis Madness, on 24 October 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

This is not a must win game for us, but we can't get blown out. Especially in our own building.
If we do lose, or even get blown out in our own building Friday...you do realize that come Saturday morning it will be completely meaningless, right?

#8 Memphis Madness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostTheProof, on 24 October 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

If we do lose, or even get blown out in our own building Friday...you do realize that come Saturday morning it will be completely meaningless, right?
If the Grizzlies have less buzz going into the season, than say, the Memphis Tigers then that could effect things from a fans' perspective. It could effect attendance if we have a slow start. ... I think you want positive momentum going into the season, so a solid game against the Rockets (especially after the Toronto blowout) would really help. If we lose to the Rockets by 25 or 30 points then that would be a bad sign.

#9 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostMemphis Madness, on 24 October 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

If the Grizzlies have less buzz going into the season, than say, the Memphis Tigers then that could effect things from a fans' perspective. It could effect attendance if we have a slow start. ... I think you want positive momentum going into the season, so a solid game against the Rockets (especially after the Toronto blowout) would really help. If we lose to the Rockets by 25 or 30 points then that would be a bad sign.
Fans' perspective has no impact on actual play on the court. Neither does attendance at this point.

If you recall Game 3 of the WCF, the city of Memphis had never been more excited for a game and obviously the game was sold out. I'm pretty sure that game turned out to be a loss for the Grizzlies.

So even in a Western Conference Championship game, fans' perspective and attendance had no effect on the actual in-game performance by the Grizzlies. I can assure you that a preseason game is all the more meaningless.

But I agree, the momentum last season helped us out a lot later in the year.

#10 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostTheProof, on 24 October 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Fans' perspective has no impact on actual play on the court. Neither does attendance at this point.

If you recall Game 3 of the WCF, the city of Memphis had never been more excited for a game and obviously the game was sold out. I'm pretty sure that game turned out to be a loss for the Grizzlies.

So even in a Western Conference Championship game, fans' perspective and attendance had no effect on the actual in-game performance by the Grizzlies. I can assure you that a preseason game is all the more meaningless.

But I agree, the momentum last season helped us out a lot later in the year.

Eh I don't know how true that is. I remember during the WCF, the biggest concern I heard mentioned from particularly mike Conley was the possibility of getting beat two times on their home court and letting down the fans.

#11 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Marc Gasol also talks about the fans a lot. Now that I'm thinking more, they've said how the energy from a sold out game affects them.

#12 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postyelloyello, on 24 October 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Eh I don't know how true that is. I remember during the WCF, the biggest concern I heard mentioned from particularly mike Conley was the possibility of getting beat two times on their home court and letting down the fans.
Which is exactly what happened.

Therefore, no matter how excited the fans get or how high the level of expectations become, it's not gonna somehow impact whether they win games or not...unfortunately.

#13 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostTheProof, on 24 October 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Which is exactly what happened.

Therefore, no matter how excited the fans get or how high the level of expectations become, it's not gonna somehow impact whether they win games or not...unfortunately.

Oh, in the end it won't say wether we win or lose but I'm sure it does affect your play. Just isn't a determining factor. What's a reason players want home court? You have the cheering for you and whatnot and it does play a role.

#14 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postyelloyello, on 24 October 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Oh, in the end it won't say wether we win or lose but I'm sure it does affect your play. Just isn't a determining factor. What's a reason players want home court? You have the cheering for you and whatnot and it does play a role.
I'm not saying that HCA isn't a factor. It most definitely is come playoff time. I'm saying that, contrary to what Memphis Madness is saying, losing a preseason game to the Rockets won't mean nearly as much as he's implying because of the simple fact that once every NBA player and NBA fan wakes up Saturday morning, every team in the NBA will be 0-0.

#15 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostTheProof, on 24 October 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

I'm not saying that HCA isn't a factor. It most definitely is come playoff time. I'm saying that, contrary to what Memphis Madness is saying, losing a preseason game to the Rockets won't mean nearly as much as he's implying because of the simple fact that once every NBA player and NBA fan wakes up Saturday morning, every team in the NBA will be 0-0.

I do agree with that. I wonder if it means something to the team. I don't think so because it didn't appear like they tried or even cared about the game, but Tony Allen said about the loss, "Want to get back what they *tooken* from us." lol

#16 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postyelloyello, on 24 October 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

I do agree with that. I wonder if it means something to the team. I don't think so because it didn't appear like they tried or even cared about the game, but Tony Allen said about the loss, "Want to get back what they *tooken* from us." lol
I think that even if the Rockets demolish us, they'll be ready and pumped as soon as they see that black and silver Wednesday night...when it really matters.

#17 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostTheProof, on 24 October 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

I think that even if the Rockets demolish us, they'll be ready and pumped as soon as they see that black and silver Wednesday night...when it really matters.

Yeah. However, I think we will lose our opening game unless Q or Bayless (preferably both) get hot from the perimeter. We still have kinks to work out. It would be so awesome if we did beat them

#18 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postyelloyello, on 24 October 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Yeah. However, I think we will lose our opening game unless Q or Bayless (preferably both) get hot from the perimeter. We still have kinks to work out. It would be so awesome if we did beat them
We'll see. If we do, there's still 81 more. Last time we lost a season opener in San Antonio we ended up with HCA.

#19 Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Were gonna start the season 17-3. Saw it in a dream last night

#20 BeastModeGrizz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Direct TV has this game on the schedule. I do hope they are showing it. I cant wait to watch them although regular season is next week!!!