http://www.nba.com/2...phis/index.html

Really good read

#2 GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Good find I am really eager to see what Joerger adds to the team.

#3 memphian901

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

lionel hollins coaching record in that article is impressive ... oh wait, yea ... correct that please.

#4 gentlemanquartely

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

yawn!

#5 SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

A lot of the information in that article really scares me...

Excluding the fluff about his pow-wows with other D-League "masterminds" since that has no bearing on our team, here are the quotes that I wonder about.

Joerger built a resume, too, winning an IBA title followed by three more in the CBA (two with the Wizards, one with the Sioux Falls Skyforce) and finally the 2007 D League crown with Dakota. That one gave him more minor league championships than Phil Jackson, George Karl, Flip Saunders and Eric Musselman combined. It also made him the sixth head coach in D League history to get his own call-up to the NBA, joining Marc Iavaroni in Memphis. Now, after Sam Vincent's one-season shot with Charlotte in 2007-08, Joerger becomes the second NBA head coach who apprenticed in the D League.

Rallying around the fact that Joerger (who else knew it was pronounced YAY-ger???) won a ton of minor league titles means nothing to me. Couple that with the last two names on that list and I start to get a little nervous.

Hollins, remember, was the most successful coach in franchise history, with a 415-214 record and an 18-17 postseason mark. He and management got sideways over his contract talks, the Rudy Gay trade and the organization's embrace of advanced stats, but it was Hollins' system that Joerger worked, helping hone the Grizzlies into a top defensive squad (their 100.3 rating ranked second in the league in 2012-13).
Meanwhile, it was Joerger's competency, demeanor and, let's face it, price -- he signed a four-year deal reportedly worth $1.5 million per season -- that convinced CEO Jason Levien and the ownership group headed by Robert Pera that they had a ready replacement.

Facts that all the FO supporters want to conveniently brush under the carpet, but also leave me very anxious.

"There are certainly groups out there who feel like last year was a fluke," Joerger said. "A lot of people in the NBA are like, 'Hey, the Clippers were up 2-0 on you. Blake Griffin got hurt or you guys don't get out of that series. You play Oklahoma City, Russell Westbrook goes down, you don't have to see him. ... Then San Antonio beats you 4-0.'
"There are large groups of people out there who believe that. So for us, we have to look at it as, 'Let's prove it wasn't a fluke.' "

I wish he wouldn't have been quoted as openly discussing that. I get that it is being used as motivation, but why even acknowledge thoughts like that? I definitely don't think it was a matter of luck that we beat the Clippers and we proved in the regular season we were more than capable of handling OKC. I am positive that a lot was left out of what Dave said, but without any context this dialogue from him is not instilling a great deal of confidence in me. Truth be told I am still scarred from the Iavaroni days, but things can unravel quick in the NBA so I hope DJ has a good grip on what he is planning to try to get our guys to execute.

Best of luck DJ, the author is right that the second we go below .500 (hopefully never) our good friend Mr. Caulkins will be calling for your head and I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Verno was right there behind him. I don't give those guys a lot of respect/attention, but you know how things go down in the Bluff City...

#6 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Don't worry about it SC Grizz. The author of that article also said "Hollins, remember, was the most successful coach in franchise history, with a 415-214 record and an 18-17 postseason mark".
The knucklehead can't even read a line score. Hollins coached in 415 games, and was 214 - 201. Then again, Hollins might want to print that article out and highlight that 66% win percentage for his next interview. :lol:

#7 Yog1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Grit and Grind basketball. Women to men ratio in Atlanta!!!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

The bottom line is that Jeorger has a better roster and is "supposedly" the better coach, so there will be no excuses if we do not at least match last season if we remain healthy.

#8 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostSC Grizz, on 05 August 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

A lot of the information in that article really scares me... Excluding the fluff about his pow-wows with other D-League "masterminds" since that has no bearing on our team, here are the quotes that I wonder about. Rallying around the fact that Joerger (who else knew it was pronounced YAY-ger???) won a ton of minor league titles means nothing to me. Couple that with the last two names on that list and I start to get a little nervous. Facts that all the FO supporters want to conveniently brush under the carpet, but also leave me very anxious. I wish he wouldn't have been quoted as openly discussing that. I get that it is being used as motivation, but why even acknowledge thoughts like that? I definitely don't think it was a matter of luck that we beat the Clippers and we proved in the regular season we were more than capable of handling OKC. I am positive that a lot was left out of what Dave said, but without any context this dialogue from him is not instilling a great deal of confidence in me. Truth be told I am still scarred from the Iavaroni days, but things can unravel quick in the NBA so I hope DJ has a good grip on what he is planning to try to get our guys to execute. Best of luck DJ, the author is right that the second we go below .500 (hopefully never) our good friend Mr. Caulkins will be calling for your head and I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Verno was right there behind him. I don't give those guys a lot of respect/attention, but you know how things go down in the Bluff City...

A lot of folks need to chill out. The odds are strongly against the Grizzlies duplicating the WCF appearance from this past season, Joeger or no Joeger, Hollins or no Hollins. Get that in perspective.

Count me as one of the people out there who thinks the Russell Westbrook injury was a but-for cause of our appearance in the WCF. A healthy Westbrook, I don't think we win more than two games in that series. Why? Our offense was horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. Tony Allen and Tayshaun Prince on the floor at the same time was a disaster, and lord, Zach Randolph's disappearing act after his miraculous reappearance in the Clippers series to inexplicably and unexpectedly bring us back from the brink. We did not play as well in a single game the entire series against OKC as we did in each of the last four games against the Clippers.

I also think the front office is essentially aware of this or agrees. If not, we probably don't move Hollins. But, they know, just as we know, that the WCF was a bit of an aberration, given that OKC was without Westbrook. Not that we didn't earn our WCF appearance, we absolutely did. Injuries are a part of the game, and we've been on other other side of that equation far too many times in recent years. We can't begrudge catching a break like that, because we've suffered just as meaningful of losses in the past (Rudy's shoulder injury changed the trajectory of his career, he missed the playoffs two seasons ago, Zach hasn't been the same since the knee injury, he was a shell of himself last season against the Clippers and we couldn't compensate). That said, a full-strength OKC probably takes that series.

So what's wrong with Joeger acknowledging that other people out there think that? I mean, it's basically true. So, if our guys don't like people thinking that, then they need to be motivated to out there and prove it. Nothing wrong with deriving a little motivation from that. Not that it's the only motivation, just maybe a part of the reality of the situation.

#9 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostHerodotus, on 05 August 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

A lot of folks need to chill out. The odds are strongly against the Grizzlies duplicating the WCF appearance from this past season, Joeger or no Joeger, Hollins or no Hollins. Get that in perspective.

Count me as one of the people out there who thinks the Russell Westbrook injury was a but-for cause of our appearance in the WCF. A healthy Westbrook, I don't think we win more than two games in that series. Why? Our offense was horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. Tony Allen and Tayshaun Prince on the floor at the same time was a disaster, and lord, Zach Randolph's disappearing act after his miraculous reappearance in the Clippers series to inexplicably and unexpectedly bring us back from the brink. We did not play as well in a single game the entire series against OKC as we did in each of the last four games against the Clippers.

I also think the front office is essentially aware of this or agrees. If not, we probably don't move Hollins. But, they know, just as we know, that the WCF was a bit of an aberration, given that OKC was without Westbrook. Not that we didn't earn our WCF appearance, we absolutely did. Injuries are a part of the game, and we've been on other other side of that equation far too many times in recent years. We can't begrudge catching a break like that, because we've suffered just as meaningful of losses in the past (Rudy's shoulder injury changed the trajectory of his career, he missed the playoffs two seasons ago, Zach hasn't been the same since the knee injury, he was a shell of himself last season against the Clippers and we couldn't compensate). That said, a full-strength OKC probably takes that series.

So what's wrong with Joeger acknowledging that other people out there think that? I mean, it's basically true. So, if our guys don't like people thinking that, then they need to be motivated to out there and prove it. Nothing wrong with deriving a little motivation from that. Not that it's the only motivation, just maybe a part of the reality of the situation.

Mhm,the Westbrook excuse. Did you know we were 2-1 with them in the Regular season with Westbrook? And the one time we lost was immediately after the Rudy Gay trade and we didnt even have a complete team?

Do you also realize that we have addressed all our weaknesses this off season, including offense? What is the problem?

#10 CarloJ63

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

I've said it before, but I think Joerger is going to be a really good coach. He has had success everywhere he has coached, and unlike Iavaroni & Vincent, he got his NBA Coaching opportunity, despite NOT being an ex-NBA Player. He was a head coach in the minors from 2000 - 2007. In that time, his team won championships in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 & 2007. I will be very surprised if he isn't successful as our Head Coach.

#11 Teddy.B

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

I am just excited to see about the new offense and efficiency................hope it's not hype and actually translates on court.

#12 Gradey

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostYog1, on 05 August 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

The bottom line is that Jeorger has a better roster and is "supposedly" the better coach, so there will be no excuses if we do not at least match last season if we remain healthy.

And by what measure is success formulated? Is it a failure if DJ doesnt take the Grizz to the WCF?

#13 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,795 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostGradey, on 06 August 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

And by what measure is success formulated? Is it a failure if DJ doesnt take the Grizz to the WCF?

Anything less than an undefeated regular season and playoff run culminating in a NBA Championshiop is a failure compared to what Hollins would have done with this team.

;) :lol:

#14 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

DJ has a better roster than LH ever did so I see no reason why we cant go even further (to the finals!). However, if we fail to win 50 games and don't do much in playoffs Im gonna be totally bummed out.

#15 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postchipc3, on 06 August 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Anything less than an undefeated regular season and playoff run culminating in a NBA Championshiop is a failure compared to what Hollins would have done with this team. ;)/> :lol:/>
That's nice but not really based in reality, chip. Now, if DJ doesn't win 50+ games and make a deep playoff run (at least 2nd round) then this season will be a failure considering we sent a proven coach packing not to mention the improved roster. Basically, we HAVE TO BE REAL GOOD or the season will be a total bust. I personally think we will win close to 60games and make a deep run in playoffs. Gonna be an interesting season.

#16 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Barring injuries, there is no reason why we shouldn't be REALLY GOOD this season. Expectations have never been higher. Even if LH was still coach those expectations would be there.

#17 SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostHerodotus, on 05 August 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

With all due respect - since I have regarded your posts as some of the best on here for probably as long as you have been posting - your reasoning or lack thereof in the above posted rant is absurd.

We were better than OKC all of last year as evidenced by our regular season record against them. They have one advantage over us - Durant. They also got worse this offseason while we arguably improved.

Unless you believe that Houston, Golden State, or the Clippers are going to beat us then there is no reason that we should not reach the WCF barring a complete collapse from or injury to Zbo, Gasol, or Conley.

In my post you quoted I acknowledged that the quote from DJ was taken without any context provided and was likely used as motivation. I just do not believe that it is the proper way to motivate the team.

Our team's success or failure will lay squarely at the feet of Dave Joerger - no excuses.

#18 JackG

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

With the strong locker room presence of TA and Z-Bo, the on-court leadership by Marc and Mike, and the experience the team already has with Joerger, I think he is set up to succeed more than other major coach changes of the past few seasons by not having to get adjusted to a new city and new team of egos as well as not having to spend time corralling those egos.

If we can keep our defensive acumen while DJ works to develop something more than a stagnant offense, I say he will be successful as a coach and the team will do well. WCF? Maybe, maybe not. It's not out of reach but it's definitely not a guaranteed destination for any team this season.

#19 Gradey

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postchipc3, on 06 August 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Anything less than an undefeated regular season and playoff run culminating in a NBA Championshiop is a failure compared to what Hollins would have done with this team. ;)/> :lol:/>

Haha yeah I think you are on to something there :D

#20 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

so what would be considered a successful season to you guys? 50 wins? wcf? also, what would be an unsuccessful season (wins wise)