Jump to content


Grizzlies @ Thunder - 1/31/2012


469 replies to this topic

#461 Grinder 901

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cordova, TN.
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Krav Maga, Movies, Reading, etc.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

I would only advocate Bayless starting to help with the offensively handicapped TA. I know we need a spark off the bench too. JB just doesn't seem to be the same player coming off the bench than when he starts and it just can't be because of the minutes played. I know TA is the grind father, our biggest cheerleader and defensive stopper but.......

#462 N I

    Mayoneso

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Donostia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

View Postevergrizz, on 01 February 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

I feel Bayless being a starter has enhanced his confidence and given him a sense of more freedom which has led to his better productivity.

It's about confidence most of the time with Jerryd. There has to be a way or a point when he starts feeling confident about being a sixth man. That's his best role in the NBA, not a pure PG to be a full time starter in a winning team, undersized to be a full time starter at the 2, but able to play both positions should guarantee plenty of minutes of the bench, plus help any team to save some money having a versatile player handling two positions.

Like I said, he is not the kind of players that needs time to find his intensity, he is like Arthur in that sense, they go all in all the time.

#463 IdrinkGuinness

    Champion

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:orangemound
  • Interests:Heavy metal, horror movies, beer, camping.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

It's not easy finding a good player that wants to come off the bench.

#464 evergrizz

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostN I, on 01 February 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

It's about confidence most of the time with Jerryd. There has to be a way or a point when he starts feeling confident about being a sixth man. That's his best role in the NBA, not a pure PG to be a full time starter in a winning team, undersized to be a full time starter at the 2, but able to play both positions should guarantee plenty of minutes of the bench, plus help any team to save some money having a versatile player handling two positions. Like I said, he is not the kind of players that needs time to find his intensity, he is like Arthur in that sense, they go all in all the time.


Is Bayless that much smaller than Tony. And he sure looks more physical and about the same height as O.J Mayo. And doesn't he start at the 2 spot for Dallas?

#465 Dwash

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postevergrizz, on 01 February 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

I feel Bayless being a starter has enhanced his confidence and given him a sense of more freedom which has led to his better productivity.

Right now he is simply doing what he has done his whole career which is perform much better as a starter.

#466 N I

    Mayoneso

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Donostia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

View Postevergrizz, on 01 February 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Is Bayless that much smaller than Tony. And he sure looks more physical and about the same height as O.J Mayo. And doesn't he start at the 2 spot for Dallas?

He is smaller than both. If we look at pre-draft measurements:

Tony Allen is 6' 4.25" with a 6' 9" wingspan and a 8' 6" standing reach.

OJ Mayo is 6' 4.25" with a 6' 6" wingspan and a 8' 3.5" standing reach.

Jerryd Bayless is 6' 3" with a 6' 3.5" wingspan and a 8' 1" standing reach.

Mayo was borderline in size, specially because of a not so great wingspan. Bayless certainly looks like a no go. Many nights it won't matter, but as we don't exactly have a 6' 4" starting PG, it is an exploitable weakness. I'd rather have him come off the bench, let's see if he starts to produce from there, the games after the Cleveland trade, he did a good job filling the box score and scoring in double digits. That's what we need him to do, that's what Mayo did for us, but I have a feeling that Bayless can do it better if he stays aggressive.

#467 costarica2

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:miami
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

I get why some people want Bayless to start but a Tony and Tony Lineup might be one of the worst shooting combo in NBA history.

So rather keep Bayless in the bench.

#468 Grinder 901

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cordova, TN.
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Krav Maga, Movies, Reading, etc.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I get that. I don't like it but I get. We are all a bit rattled by the trade and I am just as sick as anyone with trade talks so I won't argue the idea of trading TA this year for a true shooting guard who can play some defense instead of letting TA walk or pay him the extra money he will ask for next year.......

#469 GrizzTigerFan

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,917 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postcostarica2, on 01 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

I get why some people want Bayless to start but a Tony and Tony Lineup might be one of the worst shooting combo in NBA history.

So rather keep Bayless in the bench.
Bayless has been productive off the bench. As long as he is allowed to play HIS GAME which is a score first PG or SG not a facilitator.

#470 DPI Graphics

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostIdrinkGuinness, on 01 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

It's not easy finding a good player that wants to come off the bench.

Why would a player WANT to come off the bench except maybe Dennis Rodman? hut OH did I date myself with that one?