Jump to content


Talk About Goin' Out The Way To Hate On The Grizzlies!


23 replies to this topic

#1 DemDamnGrizz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think John Schuhmann is trying to take the prize for biggest Grizz hater...I mean "seriously" this article was COMPLETELY designed to hate on the Grizz...We have come along way baby...Articles are being created about us just to throw stones @ us...lol...Remember when the Grizzlies didn't even "exist" to these tools!!!!

Check out the haterade!!!

http://hangtime.blog...what-they-seem/

#2 BHZMAFIA

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,193 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I agree that we probably will not win 69 games this season, but it does seem as if he tries to downplay our current success. Its funny how his "formula" shows us playing one of the easiest schedules when in actuality, we've played one of the hardest so far this season.

Yes, we have played more home games than away games, but we've also beat the Warriors, OKC and Milwaukee on the road (division leaders or tied). We have also beat the Knicks, Heat and Lakers in pretty dominating fashion at home. While, I don't think we will win 69 games, I can see somewhere between 55-60.

#3 new_skool91

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis, TN

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Article is a reach at best. We beat the Thunder in OKC. If he's saying the Grizzlies are "not as good as our current record," then what should we be? I'm thinking we should have beat both the Nuggets and Clippers because our team is better than theirs and I have at least as much data to back up my assertion as he does his.

#4 Iggy

    Hall of Famer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Louis

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

It's hard to argue that the Griz are overachieving when none of the individual players are overachieving. There isn't one single player except maybe Conley who is having something like a career year.

BTW, if the Griz somehow make it out of the West, I hope we don't play the Nets. That team scares me. They're not even close to rounding into shape, and they have a beavy of bigs.

#5 DemDamnGrizz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

YEA IT'S SO CRAZY HOW HE "CREATES" A FORMULA TO MAKE US LOOK BAD...ARTICLES LIKE THIS SHOW US JUST HOW AFRAID THE PUNDITS ARE THAT A TEAM LIKE OURS THAT AIN'T HOLLYWOOD (L.A.) OR BIG CITY (NEW YORK) MAY ACTUALLY WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

#6 Minarae

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philippines

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

LOL, let them be.

He just watches Laker and Clipper games.
Clippers are not better than their record.

#7 BLUEandGOLD

    2nd Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

I may be a homer but this article is ridiculous. His beginning statements regarding how he is looking at the teams (Bobcats Example) is comparing wins/losses vs. strength of schedule. In discussing the Grizz he specifically points out that we have a tough schedule and have wins over good teams. I get the back-to-back thing but these are nothing new to NBA schedules. Just a stupid article IMHO.

#8 N I

    Mayoneso

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Donostia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Who cares. He does have a little point, we most probably won't sustain that kind of winning percentage and having so many resting days helped us. Not just because of fatigue, but specially because of extra practice days. Be it as it may, you can argue that having had to fight our opponents counters that advantage right away.

Anyhow, let's keep winning until everybody is out of excuses.

#9 gritngrindgang

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville
  • Interests:grizzles, boxing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

wow, how do you give credit then discredit in the same sentence? its cool he dosent have to believe, but at the end of this season hell be all over our jewels

#10 GrizzedByBluffCity

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,269 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aquidneck Island
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

The Raptors announcers on Wednesday said the Grizzlies have had it easy and will be "tested" in December and January when they go out on the road. But that was in the 1st quarter. They sang a different tune in the 2nd half.
Back to the article:
It's no suprise Schumann selects both Clippers and Lakers as "better than their record". So when we pile some road losses in January can we say "we're better than our record' because we played so well in Thanksgiving and everyone's favorite stat "the team that upset #1 SPurs". e tc.

#11 CarlCR

    CarlCR

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buford, Georgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

He does have one valid point that the Grizzlies have had one of the easiest schedule when you factor in the number of games played, home -away schedule. As of Friday before Detroit game, the Grizzlies have played 4 less games than SA and is one of only 4 teams to have only played 13 games, along with Atlanta, Milwaukee and Washington. They have also played 61.5% of their games at home. Interesting is that Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, LA Lakers, LA Clippers and Sacramento have also played that high percentage or higher home games, but all 5 of these teams have played more total games than Memphis.

So, the point is that the Grizzlies have had it easier when you look at the scheduling of games. When you factor in that they have played 4 of the top 10 teams, it makes for a tough schedule.

Hollinger says as of today the Grizzlies have played the 6th hardest schedule and Jeff Sagarin says that it is the 12th hardest schedule.

It means that things will get tougher, but not until January to April when the Grizzlies will play 4 or 5 more games than some like the Spurs.

If we win the next two games, Detroit and San Antonio, then that will be justification enough for now that the Grizzlies are the best in the NBA for now.

#12 Dwash

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

All he is saying that he doesn't think the Grizzlies are the best team in the league as their record indicates. Not a big deal. He will be proven wrong again.

#13 chipc3

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostDwash, on 30 November 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

All he is saying that he doesn't think the Grizzlies are the best team in the league as their record indicates. Not a big deal. He will be proven wrong again.
I agree with DWash. He is just stating that the majority of the Grizzlies tough games have been at home, that they haven't played as many back to back games as the rest of the league and so you need to take their record with a grain of salt. It may be true but the schedule will work itself out and we will see where we stand at the end of the year.

For now the Grizzlies have to play each and every game straight up and give their best effort every night.

#14 Herodotus

    2nd Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

It's a pitiful analysis. I don't care that it's about us, it's just a stupid column. Take his comments about the Jazz. The Jazz are "worse than their record" because 10 of their 16 games have been against teams below .500.

So, take a step back for a second. There are two ways of looking at this. 1) The first is, what is the normal percentage of games played against teams .500 or below over the course of a season? If everyone in the NBA played each other the exact same number of times (which they don't), then everyone would play a team .500 or below half the time, because .500 should be the league average winning percentage after all teams have played each other (someone wins and someone loses every NBA game - .500). So, just common sense ballpark (my point is, you don't have to crunch numbers in a spreadsheet to do more analysis than Schuhmann has) over the course of the season is somewhere within the range of half of a teams' games coming against competition that is .500 and below. Jazz are now at 10 out of 16 games, two off from half. 2) The second way is relative - how does this compare to others at this point in the season? You can say, relative to this team or relative to that team, the Jazz have played a couple more games against teams against .500, but otherwise it's largely meaningless. It can only be comparative.

So, on metric 1), the Jazz have played 10 out of 16 against teams .500 and below. That's off from half by about 2 games. Again, 2 games. So, when John Schumann says, "the Jazz aren't as good as their record," does he mean, their win/loss might be off by a theoretical 2 games, max? Jeez, what a huge observation, Schuhmann. Thanks for that brilliant analysis. And on metric 2), the one that can only be relative, check this fancy stat out. I know this because I was looking at everyone's strength of schedule the other night for fun to see where the Grizz stacked up. Now, pay attention, because I know this post was boring. I'll break this out in a new paragraph so maybe some other people will see it:

Against teams .500 and below, the San Antonio Spurs are 9-0. 9-0!!! What are the Jazz, a team that made the "worse than their record" blog post? 8-2. Big difference between the Spurs and Jazz, right? 10 of 16 for the Jazz, 9 of 17 for the Spurs. Whopping difference, obviously.

Meanwhile, what are the Grizzlies, another team that Schuhmann lists as "worse than their record." Actually, he broke out a completely different criteria for us, because this one doesn't fit us at all. We've only played 4 teams that are .500 or below. 4!!! We're 4-0. So, relative to the Spurs, Schuhmann SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING, we're "better than our record." Because relative to the Spurs, who didn't make the list, we've played far fewer games against .500 and below teams.

The blog post is a disaster. There's no logic in it whatsoever.

#15 JackG

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cary, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

On the flip side, how about Z-Bo getting some love on NBA's MVP Ladder? http://www.nba.com/m...2-13/index.html

Didn't know this stat: "Eleven times this season Randolph has had at least 15 points and 10 rebounds in a game. No other player has done that more than seven times."

#16 Iggy

    Hall of Famer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Louis

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostHerodotus, on 30 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's a pitiful analysis. I don't care that it's about us, it's just a stupid column. Take his comments about the Jazz. The Jazz are "worse than their record" because 10 of their 16 games have been against teams below .500.

So, take a step back for a second. There are two ways of looking at this. 1) The first is, what is the normal percentage of games played against teams .500 or below over the course of a season? If everyone in the NBA played each other the exact same number of times (which they don't), then everyone would play a team .500 or below half the time, because .500 should be the league average winning percentage after all teams have played each other (someone wins and someone loses every NBA game - .500). So, just common sense ballpark (my point is, you don't have to crunch numbers in a spreadsheet to do more analysis than Schuhmann has) over the course of the season is somewhere within the range of half of a teams' games coming against competition that is .500 and below. Jazz are now at 10 out of 16 games, two off from half. 2) The second way is relative - how does this compare to others at this point in the season? You can say, relative to this team or relative to that team, the Jazz have played a couple more games against teams against .500, but otherwise it's largely meaningless. It can only be comparative.

So, on metric 1), the Jazz have played 10 out of 16 against teams .500 and below. That's off from half by about 2 games. Again, 2 games. So, when John Schumann says, "the Jazz aren't as good as their record," does he mean, their win/loss might be off by a theoretical 2 games, max? Jeez, what a huge observation, Schuhmann. Thanks for that brilliant analysis. And on metric 2), the one that can only be relative, check this fancy stat out. I know this because I was looking at everyone's strength of schedule the other night for fun to see where the Grizz stacked up. Now, pay attention, because I know this post was boring. I'll break this out in a new paragraph so maybe some other people will see it:

Against teams .500 and below, the San Antonio Spurs are 9-0. 9-0!!! What are the Jazz, a team that made the "worse than their record" blog post? 8-2. Big difference between the Spurs and Jazz, right? 10 of 16 for the Jazz, 9 of 17 for the Spurs. Whopping difference, obviously.

Meanwhile, what are the Grizzlies, another team that Schuhmann lists as "worse than their record." Actually, he broke out a completely different criteria for us, because this one doesn't fit us at all. We've only played 4 teams that are .500 or below. 4!!! We're 4-0. So, relative to the Spurs, Schuhmann SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING, we're "better than our record." Because relative to the Spurs, who didn't make the list, we've played far fewer games against .500 and below teams.

The blog post is a disaster. There's no logic in it whatsoever.

You need to post this under the comment section for his website. It will make him cry. Good job.

#17 Subliminal

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver via Atl via Knoxville via raised in the M

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostIggy, on 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:



You need to post this under the comment section for his website. It will make him cry. Good job.

Cosign.

#18 costarica2

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:miami
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't think its hate I just think the guy is stupid.

#19 DemDamnGrizz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well the reason I say he's a hater is because I really believe that he wrote entire article just as a means of bashing the Grizzlies & the other comments about the other teams was just filler...That's my personal opinion!

#20 Shikaba

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Nah, he's just stupid