251 replies to this topic

#241 Kuma

Kuma

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

The reason our post players have had trouble scoring in the playoffs is not simply just because of bad shooting. Teams knew that we had no one that could knock down the 3 so they "cheat" and crowd the lane. As you saw in the Miami game, if teams try to do that to this year's team we can hurt them from 3. After we make a couple of 3s (Something OJ could not do), the team we're playing will have to respect our shooters clearing room for Marc and Zach. After all of that, if Zach and Marc STILL aren't knocking down their shots, there's very slim chance we'd win that game anyways unless Rudy completely goes off. Luckily, both bigs normally come to play and knock down their shots in big games so I'm confident that if we can get them 1 on 1 match ups down low, they can score against anyone in the league. This team doesn't need any more scorers, we already have 4 guys who can put up 20+ on any given night edit: Oh, and you're delusional about Rudy. Who do you suggest we get that's better?! I'd love to hear.

Delusional? Rudy is a high usage player that scores on an average efficiency and nothing else, the only thing that has improved with Rudy Gay is his 3pt shooting which is currently at 40%. But it is not enough for a Guy on a max contract. He is not attacking the rim enough and getting calls. Z-bo and Gasol do it why can't Rudy?

Also I think getting a playmaker at the 2 would be beneficial for us. A JJ Redick or Marshon Brooks would be excellent additions. Speights and Ellington are in the doghouse and flipping them for versatile SG would give us a stronger and smaller rotation that can be replicated in the playoffs.

#242 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Delusional? Rudy is a high usage player that scores on an average efficiency and nothing else, the only thing that has improved with Rudy Gay is his 3pt shooting which is currently at 40%. But it is not enough for a Guy on a max contract. He is not attacking the rim enough and getting calls. Z-bo and Gasol do it why can't Rudy? Also I think getting a playmaker at the 2 would be beneficial for us. A JJ Redick or Marshon Brooks would be excellent additions. Speights and Ellington are in the doghouse and flipping them for versatile SG would give us a stronger and smaller rotation that can be replicated in the playoffs.

Marshon Brooks would be a dream come true.

#243 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Marshon Brooks is in Avery Johnsons doghouse already. I like his size and potential but he seems like another low BBIQ gunner his ceiling is Nick Young His description on DraftExpress sounds like a taller version of OJ Mayo with even less defensive ability despite larger size. He would be in Lionels doghouse very quickly

But if we could trade Hamed and Selby for him I would do it in a heartbeat.

#244 grindforth

grindforth

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:defense wins chips.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

If we could get Marshon Brooks that would be amazing! Maybe Selby + Ellington/Speights?

#245 Kuma

Kuma

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Marshon Brooks is in Avery Johnsons doghouse already. I like his size and potential but he seems like another low BBIQ gunner his ceiling is Nick Young His description on DraftExpress sounds like a taller version of OJ Mayo with even less defensive ability despite larger size. He would be in Lionels doghouse very quickly But if we could trade Hamed and Selby for him I would do it in a heartbeat.

Man defense is so overrated. What makes a defense good is their ability to make proper rotations and challenge every shot. Look at our team; Rudy Gay and Z-bo are huge liabilities on the defensive end yet we are a top 10 defense. Meanwhile the Nuggets have Iggy and they are in the bottom half in defensive efficiency. In other words, Marshon Brooks' defense isn't a problem on our established defensive system. especially when he is so talented on offense, unlike Ellington.

Also ignore Draft Express. Did Nick Young ever have this kind of talent? (I posted this video in another thread)

This is all star level ability.
Also, here is the best part. His contract ends at the same time as Rudy and Z-bo so if management decides to break up the core, we would have Wroten, Brooks, and Q pon as our future nucleus. That sounds much better than Wroten, Selby, and Q.

#246 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Marshon Brooks is in Avery Johnsons doghouse already. I like his size and potential but he seems like another low BBIQ gunner his ceiling is Nick Young His description on DraftExpress sounds like a taller version of OJ Mayo with even less defensive ability despite larger size. He would be in Lionels doghouse very quickly But if we could trade Hamed and Selby for him I would do it in a heartbeat.

There is nobody on most second units that need to be defended. Some teams have a weaklink on the first unit that he can be hidden on during crunch time. We really need a guy that can create off the bounce and just score when post plays are being stuff and since I don't see James Harden, Ginobili or Kobe coming anytime soon....Here is a guy that can come in a create hell for 15 or 20 minutes....

Plus he has a 7'1" wingspan...I'm sure we could work with him...

#247 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Man defense is so overrated. What makes a defense good is their ability to make proper rotations and challenge every shot. Look at our team; Rudy Gay and Z-bo are huge liabilities on the defensive end yet we are a top 10 defense. Meanwhile the Nuggets have Iggy and they are in the bottom half in defensive efficiency. In other words, Marshon Brooks' defense isn't a problem on our established defensive system. especially when he is so talented on offense, unlike Ellington. Also ignore Draft Express. Did Nick Young ever have this kind of talent? (I posted this video in another thread) This is all star level ability. Also, here is the best part. His contract ends at the same time as Rudy and Z-bo so if management decides to break up the core, we would have Wroten, Brooks, and Q pon as our future nucleus. That sounds much better than Wroten, Selby, and Q.

That video is beautiful. Dude is a scorer.

One thing I noticed is that he seems to have a strong case of Rudy-itis and passes up easy wide open shots for tougher looks Hope we can get him out of that. Be ready to catch and fire when open.

But if we could somehow swing Speights and Ellington and Selby and maybe a pick for two guys like Brooks and Ekpe Udoh....what a bench that would be. A Udoh-DA-QPon-Brooks-Bayless bench would make me so happy that I would get misty eyed everytime they entered the game.

#248 Kuma

Kuma

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Time and Avery Johnson is on our side. He will drive down Brooks' trade value to the point where this trade will be feasible once we add a future 1st round pick.

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c9vzlu4

This trade trims the fat from our backcourt and gives us a talented prospect that we can cultivate and train to be our SG of the future.

#249 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,549 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Time and Avery Johnson is on our side. He will drive down Brooks' trade value to the point where this trade will be feasible once we add a future 1st round pick. http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c9vzlu4 This trade trims the fat from our backcourt and gives us a talented prospect that we can cultivate and train to be our SG of the future.

Grand idea. Let's destroy the chemistry existing on the best team in teh league to decrease the team's win potential by a game. Brilliance. :blink:

#250 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Time and Avery Johnson is on our side. He will drive down Brooks' trade value to the point where this trade will be feasible once we add a future 1st round pick. http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c9vzlu4 This trade trims the fat from our backcourt and gives us a talented prospect that we can cultivate and train to be our SG of the future.

I would do that trade in a New York Minute :) but Nets would have to be smoking crack to want to take on salary and not improve there team. Would be much easier just to pick-up a currently unsigned free-agent for minimum - Michael Redd, CDR ,or Bill Walker and slowly work them in. Then let Ellington and Selby walk after this season. Paying anything more than 1.5mil for Ellington's services is robbery at this point.

#251 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Marshon Brooks is terrible. He is a complete ball stopper and has super suspect shot selection which is never a good combo. The only reason the Nick Young comparison isn't good is because Young is a far superior athlete. He's a jumper jacker, just jacks up jumpers which leads to straight terrible scoring efficiency. The only decent things about Brooks are his Marswag and Marathon Brooks nicknames

#252 liltonywroten

liltonywroten

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Marshon Brooks is terrible. He is a complete ball stopper and has super suspect shot selection which is never a good combo. The only reason the Nick Young comparison isn't good is because Young is a far superior athlete. He's a jumper jacker, just jacks up jumpers which leads to straight terrible scoring efficiency. The only decent things about Brooks are his Marswag and Marathon Brooks nicknames

Yeah, I agree with IIWII for once. Plus, he plays literally zero defense and we all know that doesn't fly with Hollins.