Marc This Year, Is Z-Bo In 2010-2011

7 replies to this topic

#1 zacgrizz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think, and was proven right last night, that Marc is the premiere post scorer for us the way Z-bo was 2 years ago. He is the guy who can get his shot off whenever he wants and other teams have to respect him. This is not a knock against Z-bo at all, in fact I think he benefits from it. We all remember how in our first big playoff run everything ran through Zach and Marc just got the clean up stuff or got his own because Zach was double teamed. I think their roles have switched after Zach's injury last year and how much Marc has improved. Zach is still a beast and is still gonna get his, but I also think he gets alot of dump offs and benefits from Marc being potentially double teamed a bunch. Marc had everything going for him last night fairly easily and for some reason, we went away from him towards the end of the game. We all know Marc is the best passing big in the league and knows when to get others involved. I almost wouldn't even care if at times he was too selfish to get a shot because with Z-bo being on of the best offensive rebounders, it's not a huge deal if he misses some. I think running through Marc frees Z-bo up to get back into old form and creates space for everyone else on the team if they sink in for double teams.

#2 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Marc has the skills to get 3 or 4 assists a game. we need to play inside-out and teams won't be able to handle us. That's why it is imperative that we also get HH into the mix and just keep throttling the teams in the paint all 48 minutes. The turnovers will be less because we dribble less and have less people handling the ball and ticking the shot clock out on the wings.

#3 JackG

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

I had to listen to the Clip's commentators since I'm on LP but even they were praising Marc saying he is has the biggest skill set of any center.

I hope to see some return to something we saw three seasons ago with Marc playing some point-center. Get him the ball in the mid post, run somebody off a screen for an open 15-18ft jumper or go low post with Marc putting it up or Zbo or even Rudy if what we saw last night wasn't a fluke.

Marc will be an All Star again on the coaches vote and definitely deserves it.

#4 Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Maybe it's because Zbo was so bad last night (5-15 fg, 5-9 ft, 4 tos, -25+/-), but I felt more comfortable with Speights next to Marc than with Zbo. The same with the end of last season.

I know there's been a lot of talk about moving Rudy if the team falls short of expectations this season, but I think with either Speights and DA able to start and Marc's continuing improvement, Zbo will be the one who is moved if they can find a trade partner, or maybe even amnestied.

#5 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I like Marc, I like what he brings, I like his skill set. Truth is that he faded when we needed him the most. 0-1 in the fourth quarter isn't exactly taking the bull by the horns ZBo from 2 seasons ago. On top of that, in the grand scheme of things, it was only one game. One of eightytwo. Way too early for this topic.

#6 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

The only thing I don't like about Marc is how he fades away from being the aggressor. I remember last season in the playoffs how everyone was blaming everyone else but Marc on scoring the ball in the 4th. Well, Marc pretty much touched the ball every offensive possession last night in the 4th, but he kept looking for other guys.

Marc mentioned that he would start being more aggressive when the team needed him to, but he failed to do so last night. He and Rudy had the biggest matchup advantages and they should've combined for about 15-20 4th quarter points.

#7 Teddy.B

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 01 November 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

The only thing I don't like about Marc is how he fades away from being the aggressor. I remember last season in the playoffs how everyone was blaming everyone else but Marc on scoring the ball in the 4th. Well, Marc pretty much touched the ball every offensive possession last night in the 4th, but he kept looking for other guys.

Marc mentioned that he would start being more aggressive when the team needed him to, but he failed to do so last night. He and Rudy had the biggest matchup advantages and they should've combined for about 15-20 4th quarter points.

Marc does fade or defer a lot in the fourth quarters. Really wishes he calls for the ball more when he is feeling it knowing that most centers in the league can't defend him. His mindset is more to pass than shoot in the 4th.

#8 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I don't mind Marc at point center late in games. He has the court vision and passing ability to pick defenses apart. I need to see some post game from Speights before I am sold on him next to Marc vs. Zach. Mo's high post game is good, but I think that Marc in the high post with a legit post up threat works best late. ZBo's speed and strength look fine (he threw Blake around pretty good last night, LOL); the timing will follow shortly. ZBo was 5-15; he usually hits about 8 of those. He is career 77% from the line meaning about 2 less missed FT's. If we had the average ZBo, who was just slightly off, you're looking at 23-16 doing pretty much exactly what he did last night but executing at his average (not even max) potential?