If U Ever Said Conley Sucks, Trade Conley, Or Conley Should Never Start For An Nba Team Gone Admit It!

54 replies to this topic

#1 TheSignatureJF22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Meet Everyone Else: Memphis Grizzlies http://sbn.to/RYgX7V via @sactownroyalty

#2 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

When Lowry was here I wanted him as starting PG.

#3 Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Never done did it!

#4 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I never went that far on Conley. Always liked him, and always thought he'd be an average to above average starter in this league. I will admit, however that I was team Lowry, as well. Forgive me for I have sinned. Conley's development has been incredible. You've got to love this guy.

#5 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was more impressed with Conley than Oden on that Ohio State team. Oden was the star, the guy everyone gameplanned for. But Conley was the guy that took over when Oden got in foul trouble. He ran the team and made the other players effective. If you watched the tournament games against Tennessee and Memphis, it was Conley that won those games, not Oden. Both UT and UofM thought if they got Oden on the bench with foul trouble that they could win the game. Conley took them apart. Florida was the smart one; they left Oden alone and concentrated on limiting Conley's penetration. I admit I wanted Noah over Conley in the draft, because I felt we needed a center more than a point guard, but I have never had a problem with Mike as a player.

#6 TheSignatureJF22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

View Postalwilson, on 26 October 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

When Lowry was here I wanted him as starting PG.
I think you still do!

#7 TheSignatureJF22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostAcehigh718, on 26 October 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

I never went that far on Conley. Always liked him, and always thought he'd be an average to above average starter in this league. I will admit, however that I was team Lowry, as well. Forgive me for I have sinned. Conley's development has been incredible. You've got to love this guy.

Conley is about to become Elite as he becomes an All-Star

#8 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postwaterboy347, on 26 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

I think you still do!

Not sure why you think that.

When we had Lowry and MC11 Lowry was the better player IMO... Conley has gotten much better since then and Lowry has as well. But if I had to choose now I would choose Mike.

#9 ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostWells, on 26 October 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

I was more impressed with Conley than Oden on that Ohio State team. Oden was the star, the guy everyone gameplanned for. But Conley was the guy that took over when Oden got in foul trouble. He ran the team and made the other players effective. If you watched the tournament games against Tennessee and Memphis, it was Conley that won those games, not Oden. Both UT and UofM thought if they got Oden on the bench with foul trouble that they could win the game. Conley took them apart. Florida was the smart one; they left Oden alone and concentrated on limiting Conley's penetration. I admit I wanted Noah over Conley in the draft, because I felt we needed a center more than a point guard, but I have never had a problem with Mike as a player.
this man knows his basketball, Conley was always the most important player for that Ohio State team throughout the entire season. It was completely noticeable from his college career that he had the unique talent of being the engine of a team and knowing how to run an offense. Even his early career "struggles" were overstated since he would always improve slightly after every season. My comparison for him was always Terrell Brandon, doubt he reaches those prime levels but he'll get close enough

#10 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

View Postalwilson, on 26 October 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Not sure why you think that.

When we had Lowry and MC11 Lowry was the better player IMO... Conley has gotten much better since then and Lowry has as well. But if I had to choose now I would choose Mike.
I agree that I would prefer Mike as the starter, but man, I really wish we would have kept Kyle as the reserve. The backup PG spot has been our biggest weak spot the past few years. Hopefully Bayless helps to solve that issue this year, but having someone like Lowry would have been awesome.

#11 N I

Mayoneso

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

I didn't like the pick, didn't like the slow development the first couple of season (the confidence problems, specially with his shooting). At first I wanted us to go another route, instead of drafting Conley, who would take years to develop and I didn't think he would get to where he is today, I wanted the team to sign a PG (I believe it was Mo Williams at the time) and draft someone else (with Horford gone I believe it was Noah, and with a rumored Miller for Nene swap Brewer).

Anyway, I'm glad I was wrong, as I was with Randolph's attitude. I always preferred him as a starter over an out-of-control Lowry and was against trading him for Sessions. When Mayo first got here and it seemed like he could be a very good player for us if we gave him the ball, I was all for looking for a bigger PG with a better off the ball game. Turns out that up to now the wise decision was to give the ball to Conley and to look for a SG that can play off the ball.

#12 Tom (formerly Awesome-O)

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostGTG, on 26 October 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I agree that I would prefer Mike as the starter, but man, I really wish we would have kept Kyle as the reserve. The backup PG spot has been our biggest weak spot the past few years. Hopefully Bayless helps to solve that issue this year, but having someone like Lowry would have been awesome.
Lowry was traded because he was already becoming disgruntled playing behind Conley. I agree that in a perfect world we would have kept Lowry, but it just wasn't going to work.

#13 Shikaba

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

I was convinced that Mike would not develop that much. But I never said that kind of things. I'm glad to be a fan of this team and I will always be. Man, I love this players.

#14 TheSignatureJF22

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

I always thought Conley would turn into a great point guard. Last year when we got Pargo I was starting to say Conley was gonna have to start showing me more now and was starting to have my doubts about him becoming a great point guard. Now I believe again. I think this could be the year that Conley takes the league by storm and becomes and all star. If Conley breaks out in a big way and Bayless, Ellington, and Selby, turn out to big very good for our bench, we'll be aiming for a division crown and possible number one seed. We could truthfully could have the best team in the west.

#15 Alex I.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts
  • Interests:My music, I have an album out on iTunes for all the country fans out there!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I never liked Conley until the 2011 playoffs. That's when I saw a different, more focused MC. But I did notice a trend, every offseason he would go quiet and come back swollen and quicker. I don't know how he does it.

#16 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I was never a Conley hater, I just thought Lowry gave us a better chance with his defensive intensity. Back in the day I was on the Kyle Lowry bandwagon, not so much because I thought he had skills, but because I thought he had heart. It seemed to me at the time that the former poster Zack and myself were the only ones who felt this way. When they traded Kyle I accepted it immediately and was really pulling for Mike. In hindsight, I believe it was the right decision. Both have improved but I think that Mike has the better attitude and knows how to run a team better. Here's to a great season Mike Conley

#17 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Let's see what Mike can do for us this season. I'm cautiously optimistic about a breakout-lite season from him.

It seems like Mike really took our defeat in the Playoffs personally and has been working to eliminate his weaknesses and improve on his strengths. Everything we've seen from him in the preseason has been aggressive, he's been making shots, he's looked like the most athletic player on the floor.

Let's hope he keeps his level of play consistent over the grind of the regular season at the level he's been at in the preseason.

#18 Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Lowry is talented on both ends and has one of the best contracts in the league, but he's had problems with at least two coaches: Hollins and Mchale. I don't know about Alderman or Ivy.

Conley is far more coachable, which may explain why he seems to improve each year. If I'm running a team, I'd rather have players who fall in line with what the coach wants and what is best for the team. I think part of the reason the Spurs have been so successful for so long is because Pop has players that he can coach, including his stars.

#19 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Lowry is kind of a drama queen

#20 Grizzhype

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I've met just about every Grizz player and Lowry and Dantae Jones were the only one's that seemed like jerks... I think the bigger issue is that people assume some players cant improve their games... Coach Hollins doesnt get enough credit for his player development... Bold predition: Expect big years from Conley and Rudy....