35 replies to this topic

#1 TheBronze

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

http://deadspin.com/...on?popular=true

Just watched this video that the NBA put out on what will be penalized and is in illegal flop.

I found it particularly amusing that the Clippers - Grizzlies series was shown four times.

#2 Shikaba

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hahahahaha I can't believe it... NBA blaming the Floppers...

#3 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

So glad they are doing this.

#4 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

of the 4 times it showed the Grizz/Clipps series, were there any Grizz flops or were all 4 Clipper flops?

#5 grizzfan8390

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts
  • Interests:My music, I have an album out on iTunes for all the country fans out there!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm glad the Grizz have the grit n grind identity, rather than the floppers mentality.

#6 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

View Postsouthbluffsgrizzfan, on 07 October 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

of the 4 times it showed the Grizz/Clipps series, were there any Grizz flops or were all 4 Clipper flops?

All Clippers

#7 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

The topper for this story is Blake Griffin claiming that this is just an excuse for the NBA to squeeze more money from the players. What a goof, I guess I would be upset if the NBA took away my primary defensive weapon. I liked Kobe's suggestion of using FIBA rules to stop the flopping.

#8 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostEl Guapo, on 07 October 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

The topper for this story is Blake Griffin claiming that this is just an excuse for the NBA to squeeze more money from the players. What a goof, I guess I would be upset if the NBA took away my primary defensive weapon. I liked Kobe's suggestion of using FIBA rules to stop the flopping.
What are the FIBA rules?

#9 zacgrizz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostGranttis, on 07 October 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

What are the FIBA rules?

Unlike the NBA, the penalty for "flopping" under FIBA rules is a technical foul. (FIBA rules state that would count as one of a player's five fouls (6 in a 48-minute game in some countries) towards being taken out of the game. In the NBA, technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct count as one towards the two to ejection or seven to suspension.)

#10 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

View Postzacgrizz, on 07 October 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Unlike the NBA, the penalty for "flopping" under FIBA rules is a technical foul. (FIBA rules state that would count as one of a player's five fouls (6 in a 48-minute game in some countries) towards being taken out of the game. In the NBA, technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct count as one towards the two to ejection or seven to suspension.)
I absolutely wish they could make it a technical foul.

#11 DTW

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

Two of the four that they show are considered "LEGAL" flops. LOL! This is a joke. How are they going to determine what's legal and what's not legal during the game. I have a feeling that the first half of basketball is still going to be full of flops. They will probably review the tapes later similar to what the NFL does for illegal hits. During the game they don't throw flags some times and later on that week the player gets fined. I'm not sure this way of going at it is the right one. I have to agree with Kobe on this one, which pains me to say in any sense of the word!

#12 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostDTW, on 08 October 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Two of the four that they show are considered "LEGAL" flops. LOL! This is a joke. How are they going to determine what's legal and what's not legal during the game. I have a feeling that the first half of basketball is still going to be full of flops. They will probably review the tapes later similar to what the NFL does for illegal hits. During the game they don't throw flags some times and later on that week the player gets fined. I'm not sure this way of going at it is the right one. I have to agree with Kobe on this one, which pains me to say in any sense of the word!
Yeah I don't think they're going to do anything about it during games. Just review them in the league office afterwards. So essentially they're just putting it on the players' shoulders that "we'll fine you if you do this," instead of placing any responsibility on the referees to actually call it. Likewise I don't see this making any bit of a difference until fines start getting doled out.

#13 N I

Mayoneso

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I do like the approach taken. It would unfair to put all the responsability in the refs as those infractions are intended to mislead them, some times, with the speed of the game, it's hard to ponder them.

Looking at tape, however, is easy. In fact it is better for the players, sometimes a player will fall in what seems to be a flop, but then you realize he just took a bad step. He could get a technical foul if the approach was different. He wouldn't get a fine if they reviewed the game.

We will have to wait and see if it's effective or not, but at least it's a step forward.

#14 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Now what are LA fans going to say about their team, since they are "officially labelled". LOL. No other team, and definitely no other series game close.

#15 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

What's interesting about the video is that it seems to be suggesting that even though Chris Paul did not fool the refs into calling a foul on the play they highlighted, according to the rule, he should still be penalized after the game.

Is that right?

#16 zacgrizz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostHerodotus, on 08 October 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

What's interesting about the video is that it seems to be suggesting that even though Chris Paul did not fool the refs into calling a foul on the play they highlighted, according to the rule, he should still be penalized after the game.

Is that right?

Yes, it seems they will fine you for flopping even if the refs don't call it because you are still trying to manipulate the calls. It will just make them look like more of an idiot if they do it, don't get any call and then get a fine too. However, I read that the NBA is talking about not releasing the info on when it fines a player, if that is true then this whole thing could just be for show. I hope not, and I hope they call the players out when they do it.

#17 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Interests:3.5% APR

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostShikaba, on 07 October 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hahahahaha I can't believe it... NBA blaming the Floppers...

They should.
Flopping = acting = lying to get undeserved points = illegal
I just hope the refs don't make wrong Flopping calls because there's a thin line between real and act.

#18 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostCoachHesam, on 08 October 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

They should.
Flopping = acting = lying to get undeserved points = illegal
I just hope the refs don't make wrong flopping calls because there's a thin line between real and act.
I think he means it's funny that the NBA is calling out the floppers (with a capital L), as in the Los Angeles floppers.

#19 Shikaba

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postfanboyslim, on 09 October 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

I think he means it's funny that the NBA is calling out the Floppers (with a capital L), as in the Los Angeles Floppers.

Right.

Don't be mad lil Hamed. I love my grizzlies way more than you ;D

#20 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

I don't think the fines work. Look at all the times Mark Cuban has said something 100% accurate and then is fined by the NBA for it. There are times coaches and players do stupid things and should be fined but other times I feel like the NBA is doing it just to create hype and make press releases to be caught by ESPN for media frenzy to draw attention to the league. This may be just another way to wrangle in more interest after they starting doing flop of the day and things like that. I dont' think they do it in the spirit to actually improve the game and make the quality of the officiating and integrity of the sport better. They have ulterior motives? It's been witnessed before.