Oj Mayo Says Goodbye To Grizz & Hello To Mavericks

381 replies to this topic

#41 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Who going to score the basketball for Memphis? On the Perimeter that is.

#42 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostGone Fishing, on 17 July 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Anyone that can shoot better than OJ's .408% from the field.

#43 grizzknob

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostGone Fishing, on 17 July 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Well Bayless scored 1.2 less PPG in like 4 less mins/game last year, so he can certainly fill a large portion (if not all) of that perimeter scoring that we're losing in OJ.

#44 BLUEandGOLD

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

The difference now is that we have multiple options. OJ was inconsistent. When he was on he could keep the scoring up for the second unit, but when he was off that unit couldn't score squat. Now if Bayless is off we go to Wroten or Shelby or potentially Ellington. One of these guys should be able to light it up on a given night when the others can't. I just hope Lionel gets them out there to get that chance.

#45 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

This could end up being real bad if OJ goes there and does really well in the starting role, which he is projected to be.

The fact is, OJ was willing to start or come off the bench, and, like Conley, was a relatively healthy player. If it becomes like Lowry where he goes elsewhere, starts, and plays at a very high level, that will look real bad. The fact is, Wallace has done an outstanding job getting strong role players here via free agency, but it has been tough to get high ceiling players, and that's what OJ is, and the Grizzlies just let him walk to Dallas for what appears to be a very reasonable contract.

I'm really torn on this. Like mentioned above, I want Mayo to do well 78 games a year, and it would be one thing to let him walk for $7-9 million/year, but if he does well there, it would look bad for Grizzlies player development. The guy came here and was runner up to Rose for ROY, and each year seemed to regress. If he continues to regress, that is a player issue, but if he takes a big step forward, than it looks like a franchise issue.

And yes, I do know the Grizzlies had to act to get Bayless and the rest. Just hope that Mayo will get big money in Dallas so that I feel better about him walking away.

#46 Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Mayo can do bad for 82 games as far as I care. Why would I want him to do better on the Mavs than he did here?

#47 Lord Gordon

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

OJ will now like join the list of former Griz players who become Griz killers. See, James Posey, Kyle Lowery.

#48 CMAC

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostLord Gordon, on 17 July 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

OJ will now like join the list of former Griz players who become Griz killers. See, James Posey, Kyle Lowery.

:huh:

#49 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

I really don't see OJ doing THAT well.

He may be another Terry, Marcus Thornton, Ben Gordon w/ the Bulls, Lou Williams, etc. type of player in Dallas. Being a true 2nd option? I don't see it. Lowry turned into a good player in Houston, but if he was so good, Houston would've kept him. Most people on these boards, including me, would still rather have Conley over Lowry. Lowry was a 40% shooter that averaged 3 turnovers a game.

OJ is a gunner. If he decides to thrive in that role, he could possibly win 6th man of the year one day. That's nothing to be upset about with him leaving. If you're talking an All NBA type season? Then, I don't see that happening at all.

#50 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

View Postgrizzknob, on 17 July 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Well Bayless scored 1.2 less PPG in like 4 less mins/game last year, so he can certainly fill a large portion (if not all) of that perimeter scoring that we're losing in OJ.

Sweet!

Hey that works for me.

On the flip-side I know OJ will be happy playing in front of a PACK HOUSE every night. Memphis does good to get 14,000 out a night.

#51 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Just in general....

I'm seeing a lot of fans on Twitter or listening to them on Vernon, its crazy how many people are really upset about losing OJ. I really don't get it. Are they more in love with the name brand than the actual production? They crucify Rudy for his defense, but what about OJ? Players like OJ come a dime a dozen. Hell, we may have 3 guys currently on the team that will can either be just as good or better than him in Bayless, Selby and Wroten.

It'll be the same thing next season in the draft. NBA scoring guards are not hard to find. Guys who are actually very good at it are. OJ isn't very good at it right now. He still has to find his niche in the league.

I come to realize that some people will complain no matter what. They would've been upset if we kept OJ and didn't get a backup PG, upset with signing Bayless, upset if we got Green instead of Wroten, upset if we kept only 1 of DA and Speights. We probably had one of the better off-seasons in years and people are still complaining.

I guess its just people being afraid of change.

#52 GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostBLUEandGOLD, on 17 July 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

The difference now is that we have multiple options. OJ was inconsistent. When he was on he could keep the scoring up for the second unit, but when he was off that unit couldn't score squat. Now if Bayless is off we go to Wroten or Shelby or potentially Ellington. One of these guys should be able to light it up on a given night when the others can't. I just hope Lionel gets them out there to get that chance.
Also you can count on Darrell or Mo to score as well. We have multiple scorers on 2nd unit.

#53 RekeHavoc

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 17 July 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Just in general....

I'm seeing a lot of fans on Twitter or listening to them on Vernon, its crazy how many people are really upset about losing OJ. I really don't get it. Are they more in love with the name brand than the actual production? They crucify Rudy for his defense, but what about OJ? Players like OJ come a dime a dozen. Hell, we may have 3 guys currently on the team that will can either be just as good or better than him in Bayless, Selby and Wroten.

It'll be the same thing next season in the draft. NBA scoring guards are not hard to find. Guys who are actually very good at it are. OJ isn't very good at it right now. He still has to find his niche in the league.

I come to realize that some people will complain no matter what. They would've been upset if we kept OJ and didn't get a backup PG, upset with signing Bayless, upset if we got Green instead of Wroten, upset if we kept only 1 of DA and Speights. We probably had one of the better off-seasons in years and people are still complaining.

I guess its just people being afraid of change.

This is spot on.

#54 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • Interests:3.5% APR

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostHeartFoundation, on 17 July 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

You think so huh? I predict Mayo will crush us in the Mavericks game. We deserve it.

if so, we'll be the first one he cushed :D

#55 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postgrizzknob, on 17 July 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

You mean the Mavs stay below the Grizzlies and probably finish in 6th, or 7th place again, right?

O, yes, stay in 6th-7th place :P It's hard to forget they were world champions a little while ago.

#56 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I get into Mavs boards to congratulation them about getting OJ and give them some sort of idea about what I like in OJ and which type of player I believe he is...most of the boards like him. And they believe he will be their starting sg. I also give some tips in their roster and said I really hope we face them soon...

#57 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostSTS, on 17 July 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

I have a feeling OJ will become a Grizzlies killer. Easy guy to root for, I'll be keeping up with him to see how he performs.

He can only make 15 points if there are no Nowitzkys in the team, with Nowitzky being there Mayo won't try but 8-10 shots & he'll make his usual 30% and about 6-8 points. He'll also contribute in defense & assist as he did in Memphis.

#58 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PosttheGrizzFan, on 17 July 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

That was too funny.
Good luck to OJ.
I think that he just lost out on a playoff check for next season...

Mav might get the 6th to 8th spot. But this year Suns is stronger too, they have 2 tougher guards, Scola & maybe more so they'll be in playoffs too, I think Houston or Clips might fall out.

Update! Houston got Lin, that leaves clippers out.

#59 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostAcehigh718, on 17 July 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I agree with you... people are writing them off for stocking up on "damaged goods," but they've got some talent there.

You can never write out any team that has 1 Nowitzky in it!

#60 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostGone Fishing, on 17 July 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Mayo is going to be a great fit for the Mavs (he'll basically) take Terry's place, and they play a more freely and open motion offense. Dirk will improve his game tremendously! Glad he's happy. Now Go Grizz. He'll love playing again the Grizzlies 4 times a year! lol.

Mayo can take Terry's place but Terry was Terrymendous & rarely ever missed a shot other than being superfast while mayo is a soso player not really great at anything, he can only contribute 6-10 points per game unless they leave him in 40+ minutes which they'll be sorry soon after!