#1 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

http://basketball.re...n_Against_Magic

Can this guy ever stop whining? I hope the Magic send him to the Nets so he can lead them to a 20 - 62 season. If anyone was blackmailed, it was the Magic by Howard, not what he is claiming. What a piece of work.

#2 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

The Nets are pursuing Joe Johnson which means they could potentially come back next year with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Dwight Howard and Lopez with Jason Kidd. The addition of Johnson, Howard and Kidd would make them instant contenders in the East. I don't think they would win 20 games even if they don't get Johnson.

#3 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostNotorious O.D.K., on 01 July 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

The Nets are pursuing Joe Johnson which means they could potentially come back next year with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Dwight Howard and Lopez with Jason Kidd. The addition of Johnson, Howard and Kidd would make them instant contenders in the East. I don't think they would win 20 games even if they don't get Johnson.
They can pursue all they want. In the end it's who they have on the floor. All they have now is a wish list, and a long one at that. After all of Howards nonesense, I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic owner goes out of his way to get him on a crap team. Look at it this way, If you were the Magic owner, what would you do with him after all of this?

#4 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PosttheGrizzFan, on 01 July 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

They can pursue all they want. In the end it's who they have on the floor. All they have now is a wish list, and a long one at that. After all of Howards nonesense, I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic owner goes out of his way to get him on a crap team. Look at it this way, If you were the Magic owner, what would you do with him after all of this?

And that would ruin your relationship with his agent and all the players his agent represents as well as send a message to future FAs that the Magic is not a player friendly organization. You can't do stuff like that in the NBA. When was the last time you saw a team trade a superstar out of spite and send them to a horrible team? Howard is a whining idiot but there are too many relationships at stake. The Magic just can't "prove a point" to Howard, everyone in the league would be looking.

#5 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostNotorious O.D.K., on 02 July 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

And that would ruin your relationship with his agent and all the players his agent represents as well as send a message to future FAs that the Magic is not a player friendly organization. You can't do stuff like that in the NBA. When was the last time you saw a team trade a superstar out of spite and send them to a horrible team? Howard is a whining idiot but there are too many relationships at stake. The Magic just can't "prove a point" to Howard, everyone in the league would be looking.
Richard DeVos, as owner of the Magic, has poured a ton of his own money into the roster over the years. He is a WWII vet, 86 years old and had a heart transplant 15 years ago. I just don't see this guy giving a rats behind about what the leeches (also known as player agents) may think about him, or anyone else. Matter of fact, I would think Mr DeVos would be more likely than any other owner to do something like this. I for one hope he does. At the end of the day, most players just go to the money anyway. Howard has dug his personal character hole so deep no one would hold anything Mr DeVos does now against him.

#6 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PosttheGrizzFan, on 02 July 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Richard DeVos, as owner of the Magic, has poured a ton of his own money into the roster over the years. He is a WWII vet, 86 years old and had a heart transplant 15 years ago. I just don't see this guy giving a rats behind about what the leeches (also known as player agents) may think about him, or anyone else. Matter of fact, I would think Mr DeVos would be more likely than any other owner to do something like this. I for one hope he does. At the end of the day, most players just go to the money anyway. Howard has dug his personal character hole so deep no one would hold anything Mr DeVos does now against him.

It's great that you know exactly what Ric DeVos is thinking. It's also really funny seeing that the Magic and Nets are talking about a trade right now. The fact that they are still discussing a trade with the Nets totally negates everything you just said.Not only that, the teams they are trying to broker deals with also include Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and the Lakers.

As I said, relationships are way more important than a team trying to get even with a player. It's a player's league. It doesn't matter how big a jerk the superstar is, teams will not publicly screw them over because of repercussions from other teams and other agents who are vindictive. Once again, please give me an example of when a team intentionally screwed a superstar and sent them to the Siberia of the NBA to teach that superstar a lesson? It just doesn't happen because relationships are more important.

#7 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

The whole NBA turned their back at A.I. because he is an idiot, not because he couldn't play anymore. There's your example.
I never claimed that I knew what Mr DeVos was thinking, and for you to make that inflammatory claim should have been beneath you.
My whole point about Mr DeVos was how Howard has betrayed his good faith. As one of the few remaining WWII vets, he is a different breed of person. He is less likely to allow a player to dictate the terms of how he should run his organization. Add in the fact that at his age with his heart condition, he is even more aware of his mortality, making it more likely that he could care less about what some overpaid agents think about him a few years from now.
It's also really funny that the Lakers and Magic are talking about a trade right now.
http://basketball.re...ade_With_Lakers

#8 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PosttheGrizzFan, on 03 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

The whole NBA turned their back at A.I. because he is an idiot, not because he couldn't play anymore. There's your example.

That's not a good example. AI was at the end of his career and had caused trouble not only in Philly but also in Denver and Detroit. He had burned bridges in several cities, was at the end of his career and also, they didn't trade him to spite him. Philly traded him to a team with Carmelo Anthony.that was winning. Denver traded him to a Detroit team that wasn't far removed from a championship and then he was sent back to Philly to end his career where it started. AI voluntarily signed with the Grizz. That's a totally different situation with an older player who had burned several bridges, Dwight Howard is in his prime and has only played for 1 team in his entire career, totally different situation.

I never claimed that I knew what Mr DeVos was thinking, and for you to make that inflammatory claim should have been beneath you.
My whole point about Mr DeVos was how Howard has betrayed his good faith. As one of the few remaining WWII vets, he is a different breed of person. He is less likely to allow a player to dictate the terms of how he should run his organization. Add in the fact that at his age with his heart condition, he is even more aware of his mortality, making it more likely that he could care less about what some overpaid agents think about him a few years from now.
It's also really funny that the Lakers and Magic are talking about a trade right now.
http://basketball.re...ade_With_Lakers

No need to take offense to anything I say on this board. I'm sarcastic at times but I'm on this board to discuss basketball not to get into arguments with people or call people names. I'll just end with this. There's one thing I have noticed in all of the years I have watched the NBA which has mainly been in the David Stern era---it's a players league. It doesn't matter how big of a jerk you are, the players typically get their way. The FO are afraid of players and their agents because as I said, it's all about relationships. Dan Fegan is Howard's agent and he represent several NBA players. That's just the way basketball goes.

#9 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Like I said, a team will not intentionally screw a superstar who is in his prime.