2012 Is Last Time Nba Stars Will Be In Olympics

2 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,790 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Stern wants to create a World Championship of Basketball

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I see what Stern is trying to do but I don't like the way it is coming off. It's almost as if the NBA is bullying FIBA into doing what it wants an telling Team USA Basketball and the USOC to take a hike because they have the money and the power and want to make more money. It could lead to an interesting set of competition

#2 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

don't the star players in futbol play in both Olympics and World Cups?

the thing is the futbol players only play a handful of matches each season where NBA season is 100+ games for the superstars each season. you can't have both that and a national team that plays regularly year after year. The NBA players have shown they aren't committed to that. this is catering to them really. I would rather see the younger players play in a disciplined team environment over multiple years and develop than having the allstars come together for 2 months and barely hack it against teams like Greece and Puerto Rico. never again!

#3 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Team USA Basketball died after the 1988 Olymipcs. 1984 was our last true gold medal winning team. The Olympic committee allowed pro athletes into the mix for more money. Stern is right about this. If he can get more cash then it can help small market teams, thus helping the Grizzlies. I'm all for it.