Fixing The Grizz: Delonte West And Jeff Taylor (5Th Best Athlete At Combine)

17 replies to this topic

#1 Grizzhype

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

The Memphis Grizzlies have shown that the core starters of the team are strong enough to be competitive at the top of the Western Conference. However, the bench is holding them back from reaching their full potential.
The starters, on average, are out performing their matchups, but the bench is being outscored by 1.9 PPG and are putting forth a much less efficient offense than their opponents. In particular, the point guards are the biggest problem, as they are being outscored by 5.1 PPG and are behind on assists and rebounds by .8 and 1.5, respectively.
The Grizzlies tried to address the issue by bringing in Gilbert Arenas, but it appears that they will need to look elsewhere to bring in the bench production they need at the reserve point guard position.
In the first-round series against the Clippers, it was clear the Grizzlies starting five are ready to become a stronger team in the West because they outscored the starters by 8.4 PPG. However, the bench did not provide enough support to take them to the second round, being outscored by 9.1 PPG.
The Grizzlies need to bring in a highly efficient backup point guard at a discount in order to take their team to the next level, and the guard that may be able to take them there is Delonte West.
Although his natural position is shooting guard, Delonte West has played the reserve point position for many different teams throughout his career. He is an efficient scorer putting up 9.6 PPG on 46.1 percent shooting this last season, which he has consistently done over his career.
He is quite capable of running the offense and averaged 3.2 assists per game paired with 1.7 turnovers. Last season, he posted a Player Efficiency Rating of 15.35, which would help boost the efficiency of the bench overall
West provides a great deal of athleticism to the reserve point guard role, and he is capable of using his speed and power to get to the rim for more efficient shots. At the line, he is able to shoot at a strong rate of 88.6 percent, making him an asset to have on the floor at the end of games to insure foul shots are made.
Furthermore, West is a very talented defender and is able to use his quick feet and intense style of play to disrupt the ability of the opposing guards to run the offense effectively. West has had many injury problems and often is not capable of playing every game in the regular season, but his real value comes in the playoffs when he seems to always be healthy enough to put forth a solid performance.
I believe the risk is minimal, especially since his off-court issues have seemed to calm down, because West will be very affordable for the production that he puts forth.
If the Memphis Grizzlies want to be more competitive and make the push to be a championship-caliber team, they are going to need to have a much stronger bench to back up the starting lineup that is beginning to show great promise.
Delonte West may end up being the answer for the Griz at the point guard position, and this move could be the first step to set up a deep playoff run in the near future.

With Delonte the Grizz would have a pg who could score and play defense... Delonte is great at backing pg's down and hitting baseline jumpers... He would fit "grit and grind" perfectly and he can shoot the three... Plus he would be cheap, he only made 1mill last year...

Jeff Taylor: Athletic wing who can shoot from all around the court. He's known for his "lockdown defense" as well. Taylor has slowly developed into a star at Vanderbilt by improving year in every category. This season, he averaged 16 points per game for the Commodores. He also received good reviews by Nba people at the combine..
http://www.draftexpr...-Analysis-3965/
With these two added to the Grizzlies bench along with QP and either DA or Mo we would have the outside scoring and defense needed to relieve our starters.. The only position left to fill would be backup center...

Jeff Combine Interview
http://www.youtube.c...eY_Y5bqk1g&NR=1
With these two added to the Grizzlies bench along with QP and either DA or Mo we would have the outside scoring and defense needed to relieve our starters.. The only position left to fill would be backup center...

Jeff Combine Interview
http://www.youtube.c...eY_Y5bqk1g&NR=1
[url="http://swishscout.com/?page_id=3454"]http://swishscout.com/?page_id=3454
Thoughts....

#2 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Where did u get the write up from?

But, I agree. These are the two guys I want on this team if we plan on keeping the core intact.

Delonte West almost makes too much sense when u think about Wallace drafting him, TA being friends with him, he's cheap, good defender, tough and can shoot. So much sense that we wouldn't even get him lol.

I'm also a big fan of Taylor.

#3 Grizzhype

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 10 June 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

But, I agree. These are the two guys I want on this team if we plan on keeping the core intact.

Delonte West almost makes too much sense when u think about Wallace drafting him, TA being friends with him, he's cheap, good defender, tough and can shoot. So much sense that we wouldn't even get him lol.

+1... Writeup is from Bleacher Report... Click the link for his scouting report with video...

#4 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

If we really will keep Rudy and Zbo... can we sign and trade OJ and Speights package both to get picks... or can we only trade both in separate deals?

#5 Markey78

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

I say this is how you improve your team. Its the kind of moves SA, Boston, LA, and OKC make no dynamite jobs. If he's healthy I wouldn't dbout Memphis looks at Damion James because the FO loved him in the draft.

#6 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

Skill wise, West on the cheap makes perfect sense. Every time I see him play I can't help but wonder if he's a complete knucklehead or not. I know that people are quick to point out that ZBo had a bad rep prior to coming to the Grizzlies, but he wanted to change that. West has got to want to change it as well. If he is willing to come to the Grizzlies for the paycheck he got with Dallas, why not?

#7 ACC Griz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 10 June 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

+1...this scenario does make sense.

Second, I am glad Heisley came out and said Rudy would not be traded (right now) for financial reasons. I may be a lone camper on this - but I think Heisley will do what is needed (within reason) to upgrade this team, and support the core. He knows he has a window to get the right bench - and I wouldn't put it past him to even go beyond the cap a bit if needed. I know he has stated to the contrary - but I believe he wants to win now while the window is open.

#8 costarica2

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Both are good moves if it happens.

Especially west for 1m or even a little more.

#9 Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

A good move as long as he doesn't sleep with Zbo's mom.

#10 GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,682 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

I like both Taylor and delonte for the Grizz. I really hate we had to get rid of our 2nd round pick because of the depth in this draft and our limited budget.

If there is a way we can flip Dante/pargo into a pick I would love to do that.

We really need to pickup a big and a wing scorer via the draft.

Jeff Taylor, will Barton, orlando Johnson, John Jenkins are all good scoring prospects on the wing.

Festus ezelli, Kyle o'quin, fab melo all potentially effective defensive rim protectors.

I also like keyon dooling and Kirk Hinrich for vet combo pg also.

#11 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostTigerGrizzFan, on 10 June 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

I like both Taylor and delonte for the Grizz. I really hate we had to get rid of our 2nd round pick because of the depth in this draft and our limited budget.

If there is a way we can flip Dante/pargo into a pick I would love to do that.

We really need to pickup a big and a wing scorer via the draft.

Jeff Taylor, will Barton, orlando Johnson, John Jenkins are all good scoring prospects on the wing.

Festus ezelli, Kyle o'quin, fab melo all potentially effective defensive rim protectors.

I also like keyon dooling and Kirk Hinrich for vet combo pg also.

I would like to get either Ezelli or O'Quin. We will actually have some length and athleticism for once. I don't think our team is bringing any of these guys in for a workout, though.

#12 Grizzhype

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostSimple_Like_That, on 10 June 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

If we really will keep Rudy and Zbo... can we sign and trade OJ and Speights package both to get picks... or can we only trade both in separate deals?
It would be tricky to give nO J Mayo the qualifying offer, he might accept it and we'd be over the cap... Unless Memphis works out a deal with Bird and Indiana...

I'm hoping guys like this keep getting press so Jeff Taylor is on the board at 25...

Evan Fournier, who is the only international player projected to go in the first round of this year’s draft, did not participate in drills or any of the scrimmage games. Instead, he held a private workout in the afternoon, and looked great shooting the ball, finishing his session by draining five straight three-pointers from a good five feet beyond the NBA arc. When he was finished, Rockets director of scouting and camp director Arturas Karnisovas said with a smile, “OK, everyone. Show’s over.” NBCSports.com

#13 Guatemala City Grizzlies

Rudy Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

delonte is a good fit

#14 tennesseessio

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Im typically not a fan of the highly medicated or the one-trick-pony. Pass on both.

#15 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'm learning to like Jeff Taylor as our pick if he is available...if he ever could be a Thabo like guy (comparasions) we would get a great rotation guy.

#16 masr

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

I like Taylor. He is a good athlete (note the title of this thread), and he adds the backup point guard we need off the bench. He also provides us the 3 point shooting we are missing when O.J. leaves. I think that if we drafted Jeff Taylor, it would be a very good pick that I think would help us a bunch.

#17 Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

View Postmasr, on 13 June 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

I like Taylor. He is a good athlete (note the title of this thread), and he adds the backup point guard we need off the bench. He also provides us the 3 point shooting we are missing when O.J. leaves. I think that if we drafted Jeff Taylor, it would be a very good pick that I think would help us a bunch.
Jeff Taylor isnt a point guard

#18 masr

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostAllen, on 13 June 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Jeff Taylor isnt a point guard

my bad