What Was Your First Grizzlies Game Ever To See Live?

14 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonLaz

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I was wondering how well most of you remember your first Grizzlies game. My first game was October 31st, 2003 against the Celtics. A buddy and I decided that since the Grizzlies were our closest NBA team we were going to become fans. It was at the pyramid we were broke college kids so we bought $10 seats or something. We were walking around at halftime and one of the guards at the lower section said for $5 bucks each I can get you down to the lower area so we got to sit 5 rows back center court for about $20 bucks out of pocket. That would never happen now at the Forum which is much nicer and a lot more packed than games were back then. The game was close the whole way through until about 3 minutes left. We were down by 10, but back came the Grizzlies tying up the game with like 5 seconds left. Then stupid Mike James came down and won the game for the Celtics the ending was upsetting, but we were hooked as fans. What about everyone else on here how long have you been following what was your first game?

#2 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Don't remember the exact date but it was Spurs vs. Grizzlies 2001-2002 season. Nosebleed seats.

#3 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

My boss at the time took me and two co-workers to a game at the Pyramid in the 2001-02 season for a Christmas present. Decent seats, and checking basketball-reference.com, it was against the Bucks. I was looking forward to seeing Battier and Ren Wright play, but Ren was out with an injury. Shane was solid, the Spanish kid did pretty good, and Stromile Swift was the star of the game. So, of course, we lost.

#4 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

January 6, 2002 against the Sonics. I was in 8th grade at the time and my parents bought me and my 3 younger brothers tickets to a couple of games as a Christmas present. It was an early Sunday game and I remember my dad just happened to look at the tickets when we got home from church and we had to leave then because he originally thought it was a night game (so this almost didn't even happen for me!) We went to Spaghetti Warehouse before the game. Not a big crowd and we got to move down low in the 2nd half. I don't remember a whole lot about the game other than the fact we lost. The other game they bought us tickets for was a win over John Stockton, Karl Malone and the Jazz a month later. After that I was hooked. I talked my dad into getting me and a friend tickets to one more game that year for Michael Dickerson bobblehead night. We beat the Warriors led by Jason Williams' career high 19 assists (at least it was a career high at the time no idea if he ever topped that). I remember thinking man I went to 3 of 82 games this year and I saw 2 of their 23 wins, I'm good luck! I started going to every game I could when I got my license. Man those were the days.

So I looked at basketballreference.com and Gilbert was a rookie on that Warriors team I saw play. His salary that year was $332,817 about what we are paying him this year!

#5 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,825 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I went to opening night at the Pyramid against the Pistons back in 2001.

#6 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

This junk game in 2001 against the Bucks: http://www.basketbal...0112180MEM.html
I hated Antony Mason ever since then. But my next game was much better .... the game that made me BELIEVE for life - last place Grizzlies upset the Champion Lakers at home. The huge scary dude next to me that kept yelling "SHAQ DADDY!" all game long finally had to shut up! :P

#7 TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I saw the Vancouver Grizzlies host the Lakers, way long ago. Nosebleed seats, and all I remember is that there were nine guys out there more or less the same size, then there was Shaq. And that the Lakers won easily, and it wasn't really very interesting from so far away. Like watching TV from the next room, only noisier.

#8 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Grizz came to town to play the Knicks in '06. Knowing how obsessed with this team I was, my dad took me for my 16th birthday. Pau went nuts. I remember being disappointed, though, because Big Jake Tsakalidis was in the middle a starting stretch where he was tearing it up, and sat this one out. For some odd reason I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

#9 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

View Postchipc3, on 16 April 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I went to opening night at the Pyramid against the Pistons back in 2001.

#10 Plop Plop Griz Griz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

My first game was 11-23-01. We played Phoenix during the Hardaway/Marbury years. J-Will got ejected, Tony Delk killed us, and there was even a Nick Anderson sighting. Anyway, I went with my dad, and it was the first NBA game for either of us. Grizz lost by 14.

#11 Im So 90's Baby

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

My first Grizzlies game is going to be this playoff game. Been a fan since Vancouver. Im now 20 years old so I was able save up enough to drive 13 hours down to Memphis to see this playoff game!!! Me and three other buddies are coming down so hopefully we get four tickets. Does anybody think it is going to be hard to get a ticket for four? You Memphians know best.

#12 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult to get 4 Playoff tickets as long as you order them right when they go onsale. Chances are the first two homegames will sell out pretty quickly.

Buying tickets directly from ticketmaster is the best way to go too. Any second hand seller is going to charge considerably more than face-value.

#13 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostAcehigh718, on 16 April 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Grizz came to town to play the Knicks in '06. Knowing how obsessed with this team I was, my dad took me for my 16th birthday. Pau went nuts. I remember being disappointed, though, because Big Jake Tsakalidis was in the middle a starting stretch where he was tearing it up, and sat this one out. For some odd reason I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

That was a slaughter. Great game! I was a few rows back from one of the goals. Lots of crazy Spanish fans in the house. Gasol played like it was his home crowd.

#14 costarica2

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'm from south Florida so my first game was Heat Grizzlies 2005 with shaq/wade at the AAA.And we lost.

#15 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostIm So 90's Baby, on 16 April 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

My first Grizzlies game is going to be this playoff game. Been a fan since Vancouver. Im now 20 years old so I was able save up enough to drive 13 hours down to Memphis to see this playoff game!!! Me and three other buddies are coming down so hopefully we get four tickets. Does anybody think it is going to be hard to get a ticket for four? You Memphians know best.
That's awesome! See you in the Grindhouse!