Jump to content


I Think We Need To Face The Facts: Zbo Isn't Going To Beast Mode Any Time Soon.


50 replies to this topic

#21 memphis slim

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:38104

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postbowdowntothegrizz, on 15 April 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

It's a message board. If you expect everything to be happy go lucky and everybody to sing kumbaya then maybe you should cut back cause it's not gonna happen that way. Different opinions are what make message boards not so boring. I found the Batman reference a little ridiculous myself, but what do you expect from lil oj.

thank you.
i have heard gtg's type of thinking many times about the board- sorry, gtg, not trying to pick....
i just don't get it.
this is a message board. thank goodness for each and everyone on here- i remember the days when it was me and a handful of others on here....

imo---we are just fine.
we are scaring the absolute be'chit out of the teams in the w.
they have good cause to worry.

so, one guy is freaked out that zbo is not zbo playoffs 2011....ok. whatever.
i think we are better than last year.
i think, because we are not depending on zbo being zbo....i think we are more dangerous.

im happy.
win out griz. win out.


slim.

#22 KoufosSnozz

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostGTG, on 15 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

It's not just this topic, it's the board content in general that has declined in terms of quality.

This topic (while not ridiculous) is redundant. There have been at least a half dozen threads over the past few weeks where people have been debating whether or not Zach's the same. It just gets old having virtually the exact same discussions every day.
Good luck on your vacation. You will sorely be missed.

#23 Granttis

    Champion

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 15 April 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Good luck on your vacation. You will sorely be missed.
:lol:

#24 Once_a_hater

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brasil

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 15 April 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Good luck on your vacation. You will sorely be missed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#25 Kevin B Moses

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,875 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bartlett

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 15 April 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Good luck on your vacation. You will sorely be missed.

:D :D :D

#26 GrizzFan93

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postgrizzwhiz, on 15 April 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

if i recall correctly, OJ was on the team last year, and he failed to lead us to the promise land against OKC. you remember, when they doubled zach, and oj couldn't throw it in the ocean.
Your wrong. OJ played great last year in the playoffs, especially against okc. It was sam young, mike conley, basically everyone else that couldn't "throw it in the ocean"

#27 Wells

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostGTG, on 15 April 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

... heck we even have someone comparing OJ Mayo to Batman.


Which Batman? Bale (the best so far), Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney or West? :D :ph34r:

#28 Grizzled Vet

    Champion

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostGTG, on 15 April 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

This message board is really becoming a joke.

It's gone from a great place to have discussions about the team to something resembling a bad soap opera. We have people creating multiple topics complaining and worrying about things when the team is doing great, we have people saying the Grizzlies organization is discriminating against certain players, heck we even have someone comparing OJ Mayo to Batman.

I think it may be time for me to cut back on my activity around here. I love the Grizz, but there's just too much drama on this website.

I think it all went downhill when staff moved the Samuel L. Jackson thread to trade forum, more than a year after it was started. Also, Thabeet isn't around to pile on, so that limits the thread quantity, and of course, the team is winning more than half of its games, so that there is less to gripe about (although, people try). Plus, trade deadline has passed, so there goes those threads.

#29 Dwash

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Man, does anybody believe that this Steve Nash or 2002 Sacramento Kings style offense is going to go anywhere in the playoffs? I sure don't. We were unique from the rest of the league when we made a point to pound it into the paint which kept turnovers and bad shots to a minimum. Now we are just another team playing like everybody else, just with a little more talent most teams and struggling to be consistent offensively.

The time to go back to Zbo is now, even if it costs us a few games.

#30 jetfixer

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Texas/ Cordova

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Well he looked like crap tonight!

#31 Dwash

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I really think he is doing this on purpose. It's the stuff Kobe used to pull. You think I'm in the way and shooting too much? Well then I won't shoot anything.

#32 jetfixer

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Texas/ Cordova

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

He surly looks uninterested to me, his effort is nonexistent.

#33 GrizzTigerFan

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,448 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

View Postlilojmayo, on 15 April 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Zach weight loss worked against him. He has never been quick, but his extra weight and strength made him a bruiser down low.

People forgot that Zach was playing sub par basketball before his injury happened early in the season, he is on the decline.
hmmm this is actually making some sense..zbo is notbullying at all and he is becoming such a liability on the court that it is difficult to find time for him to get reintegrated with the team. he really has me concerned as well

#34 jetfixer

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Texas/ Cordova

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostTigerGrizzFan, on 15 April 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:


hmmm this is actually making some sense..zbo is notbullying at all and he is becoming such a liability on the court that it is difficult to find time for him to get reintegrated with the team. he really has me concerned as well
It's not the weight, you can fight 20 lbs. lighter. He just doesn't seem to be in the fight at all, one thing is fighting and losing, the other is running away from the fight.

#35 Minarae

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philippines

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Screw the Refs!

lol

#36 Minarae

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philippines

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Screw the Refs!

lol

#37 Wells

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostDwash, on 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

I really think he is doing this on purpose. It's the stuff Kobe used to pull. You think I'm in the way and shooting too much? Well then I won't shoot anything.
I'm wondering if it wasn't something arranged with Lionel. Midway through the second quarter, there was a time out and Eric Hasseltine described Lionel coming out to meet the team with a smile on his face after three terrible offensive possessions. Eric was wondering why he was smiling.

Well, how do you explain Zach Randolph getting 13 rebounds, albeit only two offensive, but still only taking two shots in 23 minutes of time on the court? Either no one was getting Zach the ball (belied by his three assists) or he was passing up shots that he would normally take. If he was having a bad game, Lionel has shown he is not afraid to use the hook, even with Zach. So, maybe Lionel decided "how better to embarrass the players who are wanting to just chuck up shots than just let them have their way in a game against somebody that should not beat you, unless you can't make shots."

Long range shooting is a streaky business, and after being so hot last night, people were bound to cool off, and cool off in a major way they did. Even worse, this was before a national televised audience. Rudy performed, Marc was performing until he got hurt, Mo Speights was doing okay. Zach was a rebounding machine. But our perimeter players, other than Arenas, blew it, and blew it big.

O.J. played 27 minutes, a good chunk of that at point. How's this stat line: 11 points, 3 of 12 from the field (0 for 7 from three), 5 of 8 from the line, 4 rebounds, two assists, one steal and six turnovers? I doubt lilojmayo is crowing tonight.

Mike had a bad night shooting (1 of 8), with no steals. Tony was a non-factor, and Quincy wasn't much better.

Something makes me think that our interior game will see much more opportunities come Tuesday night in Minneapolis.

#38 Minarae

    1st Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philippines

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostTigerGrizzFan, on 15 April 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

hmmm this is actually making some sense..zbo is notbullying at all and he is becoming such a liability on the court that it is difficult to find time for him to get reintegrated with the team. he really has me concerned as well

Personally, I thought something changed when the season began.
The viciousness inside was gone for Z-bo.

yes, he was piling up the stats but its like New York Z-bo and not Memphis Z-bo.

#39 Memphicity Design

    Champion

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MEMPHIS
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I want to go on record now and say: ZBO will be starting in the playoffs and he WILL be in "BEAST MODE" !!!!!

If i am wrong than you can all send me a plate of crow.

#40 Herodotus

    2nd Team

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

View PostWells, on 15 April 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'm wondering if it wasn't something arranged with Lionel. Midway through the second quarter, there was a time out and Eric Hasseltine described Lionel coming out to meet the team with a smile on his face after three terrible offensive possessions. Eric was wondering why he was smiling.

Well, how do you explain Zach Randolph getting 13 rebounds, albeit only two offensive, but still only taking two shots in 23 minutes of time on the court? Either no one was getting Zach the ball (belied by his three assists) or he was passing up shots that he would normally take. If he was having a bad game, Lionel has shown he is not afraid to use the hook, even with Zach. So, maybe Lionel decided "how better to embarrass the players who are wanting to just chuck up shots than just let them have their way in a game against somebody that should not beat you, unless you can't make shots."

Long range shooting is a streaky business, and after being so hot last night, people were bound to cool off, and cool off in a major way they did. Even worse, this was before a national televised audience. Rudy performed, Marc was performing until he got hurt, Mo Speights was doing okay. Zach was a rebounding machine. But our perimeter players, other than Arenas, blew it, and blew it big.

O.J. played 27 minutes, a good chunk of that at point. How's this stat line: 11 points, 3 of 12 from the field (0 for 7 from three), 5 of 8 from the line, 4 rebounds, two assists, one steal and six turnovers? I doubt lilojmayo is crowing tonight.

Mike had a bad night shooting (1 of 8), with no steals. Tony was a non-factor, and Quincy wasn't much better.

Something makes me think that our interior game will see much more opportunities come Tuesday night in Minneapolis.

From the time Zach entered the game at about the five minute mark in the third, until we put in our scrubs, the Hornets out-scored us by 12. There was a brief respite, with a flurry of six points in a row from Rudy Gay, but otherwise the Hornets killed us down the stretch.

The Hornets beat us by scoring 29 and 26 points in the third and the fourth. After a first half in which our offense failed, our defense also failed in the second.

Zach didn't play any defense at all, which is inexcusable, and we didn't ride Rudy, who was the hottest hand on the court. Rudy was the best player on either team tonight and we went away from him. He missed a three because Zach gave him such a poor he couldn't go up in a fluid motion, the only jumper I think he missed in the second half. He missed a difficult layup. He got clobbered on an offensive rebound that got ruled a turnover for traveling. Otherwise, he was incredible in the second half. But we didn't ride him.

So, was Hollins cool not only with Zach taking back seat on offense to prove a point, but also his horrible play on defense? That doesn't sound right at all. And otherwise, why didn't we ride Rudy? To prove to Mayo that he's not going to be hot every night?

I can't figure out what happened tonight either. The players didn't show up for most of the game, obviously. Once that was clear, I could be convinced that Tony Allen is being given a last chance to prove he hasn't lost all of his magic. I really felt like tonight, if Tony wasn't in the game, the Hornets don't get away from us. I could also be convinced that Zach was left in the game down the stretch to make clear his defensive shortcomings.

Hollins' head down in his hands late in the game said a lot, but I'm not sure what. He was obviously frustrated, but by what specifically I don't know. It was all just so strange tonight.