28 replies to this topic

#21 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postgrizzwhiz, on 15 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

interesting. not sure how i feel about it, but i see your rationale. in your mind, if we keep zbo we probably lose OJ, Arthur and Speights. But if we deal Zbo we can sign all of the FA's. its basically a big gamble on Darrel Arthur. If he was healthy it would really make sense. you just slide him into the role zbo is filling now.

conley/arenas
TA/ OJ
Rudy/qpon
speights/DA
Marc

big gamble

If we would ever make deal with Zbo, not that I like that much, we should give reasonable contracts for the rest of the players (I don't know if the FO know how to do that) and would be like this...

MC/Pargo/Selby
TA/OJ/1st round pick
Rudy/QP/Dante
J Smith/Speights/DA
Gasol/HH

trade Zbo for J Smith like someone mention before... this guy has a chance to the give to the frontcourt the same type of effective TA give to our backcourt... I think we would be able to keep OJ and Speights for sure and DA will probably be cheap so him too, but Arenas depends of how he play in the playoff and if he want to go to another market.

#22 Cam.

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

If we could get Andre Drummond for Z-Bo I would seriously consider it.

#23 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostCam., on 15 April 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

If we could get Andre Drummond for Z-Bo I would seriously consider it.

I know Drummond is a big prospect but Josh Smith is more certain than him... if Drummond devolop he will be insane, but I don't know; I totally understand your point we where fine without Zbo till now, and players step up just like when Rudy got injured but I still don't know, like I said before if we could, I should keep everybody. Special Zbo after all he made to us...

#24 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 15 April 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

But, can you trade him to a team with some cap space and take less salary back?
Only within certain limits.

#25 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

View Postgrizzfan12, on 15 April 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

This team is playing great as of late and that is not because of Randolph. We are a defensive team now while Z-Bo is a liability. Arthur and Speights are better fits for us and all of you saying we need to keep the team intact need to actually look at us from a money standpoint. OJ is going to get some money this summer and to keep him we will need to somehow find $8 million.

I've looked at it from a money standpoint and I have concluded two things: 1. It ain't my money so I don't have the slightest idea what Heisley is thinking. 2. If I try to reduce salaries, I'm letting bench players go not an All-Star.

Granted, there's a chance Z-Bo may never get back to form but who the heck knows. I would rather let him and Rudy have an off-season to "get right" and see what happens next year rather than just trading either of them to keep a bunch of bench players. You also have to keep in mind both OJ and Speights are up for QO's next year so in effect they are in a contract year, either to get that QO or to get a new contact as a FA. So I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket hoping they will make up for the loss of Z-Bo. Plus, what are you trading him for? Another big contract? An expiring contract? Several players? Seems really complicated when you could just let OJ walk and not have to worry about $8 mil next year. Without Z-Bo, we have virtually no post game. Sure Marc tries, but they could double team him and then we would have no post game. I just don't see any reason to get rid of our post game to keep an off the bench SG.

Oh and as far as the team playing great, well, the Lakers are 4-1 w/o Kobe, should the Lakers trade Kobe?

#26 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,819 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

View Postgrizzfan12, on 15 April 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

This is no knock on Z-Bo because we all know what he can do, but do we really need him and his contract anymore? With Randolph on the books it will be hard to resign OJ and Mo/Arthur.

Right now it seems that OJ is much more important for our team going further. Randolph has helped build this team to where it is now but the young guys are ready to take over and take us all the way.

My idea is to trade Randolph for a first-rounder. Then in the off season we have plenty of money to resign OJ, Darrell, and Speights. We will have a great bench and Speights, Darrel, and Cunningham will be more than enough for the PF position.

Randolph has done a lot for this city but for the betterment of the team it may be time to trade him.

Your idea is against the rules of the colelctive Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Teams are not allowed to trade maximum salary players for draft picks unless the trade includes nearly similar salaries. So even if the team trades Z-Bo on July 1st (the first day that veterans under contract can be traded since we are past the trade deadline) the team will be forced to receive back nearly identical sums in new contracts leaving no excess cash to sign Mayo and Mo/DA

#27 Cam.

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostNotorious O.D.K., on 15 April 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

I've looked at it from a money standpoint and I have concluded two things: 1. It ain't my money so I don't have the slightest idea what Heisley is thinking. 2. If I try to reduce salaries, I'm letting bench players go not an All-Star.

Granted, there's a chance Z-Bo may never get back to form but who the heck knows. I would rather let him and Rudy have an off-season to "get right" and see what happens next year rather than just trading either of them to keep a bunch of bench players. You also have to keep in mind both OJ and Speights are up for QO's next year so in effect they are in a contract year, either to get that QO or to get a new contact as a FA. So I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket hoping they will make up for the loss of Z-Bo. Plus, what are you trading him for? Another big contract? An expiring contract? Several players? Seems really complicated when you could just let OJ walk and not have to worry about $8 mil next year. Without Z-Bo, we have virtually no post game. Sure Marc tries, but they could double team him and then we would have no post game. I just don't see any reason to get rid of our post game to keep an off the bench SG.

Oh and as far as the team playing great, well, the Lakers are 4-1 w/o Kobe, should the Lakers trade Kobe?
No but Mike Brown wouldn't use him as role player just because his team won without him.

#28 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

the only way I trade zbo is if we are getting key, championship pieces....I.e. (bosh, d.williams, kobe, d.wade, etc..) We are built to win now..so only trades that will lead to a championship are acceptable

#29 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I do think ZBo will return to form in the offseason and work out with "hell's trainer" again..The only worry is Zbo was injury -plagued before coming here and he has shown us...how ineffective he can be when he is not 100 percent..

YO