Grizzlies @ Hornets - 4/15/2012

217 replies to this topic

#201 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

If Marc is out for any extended amount of time.....I'm going to be sick. This team has worked so hard for this to happen.

On the game.....For those who want to trade Rudy still to keep OJ and other role players.....please no more of that talk. OJ made so many bone head plays (of course the whole team didn't really do much either (besides Rudy)). I hate it when he (OJ) tries to get fancy with the ball and pointless dribbling between the legs and behind the back and then off the heel turnover for a NO fast break. You never see good ball handlers doing stuff like that (Kidd, Nash, etc.) Just play ball.

We just layed an egg simple as that.....we better not do this in Charolette.

#202 MP73

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

This post is not directed at everybody but I am very let down at some of you. To sit here and talk the way you do about your team and players, you would think this was a prison message board.

Listen, they have fought hard to get where they are, it does not come off perfect everynight. You should be thankful to have the kind of players we do for such a small market. My God, they rip off 9 or so out of 11 against the toughest teams in the league to secure a playoff position and now they are trash?

I'm done for a while here, let's hope the fans at the stadium don't act this way or the players families...Amazing...

#203 Mtownballer

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Music, Sports, Guitars, Grizzlies, Titans

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostMP73, on 15 April 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

This post is not directed at everybody but I am very let down at some of you. To sit here and talk the way you do about your team and players, you would think this was a prison message board.

Listen, they have fought hard to get where they are, it does not come off perfect everynight. You should be thankful to have the kind of players we do for such a small market. My God, they rip off 9 or so out of 11 against the toughest teams in the league to secure a playoff position and now they are trash?

I'm done for a while here, let's hope the fans at the stadium don't act this way or the players families...Amazing...

You sir I give you this
Posted Image

#204 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

FWIW, IMO it seems like this game was more about trying to establish rhythm for the playoffs rather than winning this particular game. The win would have been nice, and I actually missed the game, but just going off of what happened last year late and looking at the box score, I think that Hollins is trying to establish a set rotation. OJ is going to be the man, not Arenas. Zach is not going to be a focal point at this point because we have been able to win with him as an add on.

As Hollins has clearly said in the past, winning is about going out and doing what you do better than the other team does what it does. Arenas was hot and keeping him out there may have changed the face or outcome of this game, and if it were actually the playoffs, I'm sure Hollins may have played it differently, but just like things last year worked out pretty well despite the weeping and gnashing of teeth over sitting guys out the last two games of the regular season, I think Hollins probably knows what he is doing.

#205 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Anyone think the players all got drunk last night on Bourbon St.... playing hungover?

#206 Mtownballer

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Music, Sports, Guitars, Grizzlies, Titans

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

View Postalwilson, on 15 April 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Anyone think the players all got drunk last night on Bourbon St.... playing hungover?
No just had a bad game.

#207 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think a lot of people really need to calm down, particularly in regards to Hollins and Mayo, which is completely unwarranted. That said, I've got my own head-scratching and complaining to do. I've made several posts recently about Zach's defense. The Hornets put the game away tonight by scoring basket after basket at Randolph's expense. Carl Landry got easy scores. Josh Smith got so far behind him off of a slow-motion give-and-go that started at the free throw line that he ended up with an uncontested dunk under the basket. Zach got dragged out on the pick-and-roll (again...) and victimized over and over, whether Gordon or Vasquez. His defense is just a major liability right now. If he's going to be able to help us at all come Playoff time, he needs to show that he can actually move laterally. Otherwise, it's looking like he's doing more harm than good being out there. And I hate to say that. I do not think we can win a series in the Playoffs without Zach being able to be on the floor for 25 quality minutes a night, in which he is a threat on offense and gets some offensive boards. But he's not going to be able to stay on the court if he can't get it together on the defensive end. That's a real concern.

Also, Tony Allen. He's our own worst enemy. You've got teams hoping he'll try to bring the ball up against pressure, then he promptly obliges with a turnover. Hoping he'll squander a possession with a long jumper, which he offers them up, leading to a run out. Hoping he'll try to force something and create in the lane. He's awful. Hollins has to reign him in. I've also been making posts about this for awhile; I just don't think he's the same player he was last year. His mentality has changed and so has his play. If TA can't get the magic back, Hollins is going to have to have the strength to significantly reduce his role.

#208 Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think you see a focused team the rest of the way. And Marc will be okay. He needs some rest, though.

#209 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

By the way, does anyone else find it funny how the fanboys are so quick to declare Mayo a superstar, one of the best SG's in the NBA, Batman, etc. when he plays a great game but then they all seem to completely disappear when his troubles with inconsistency are showcased (as they were tonight). :lol:

It was definitely a poor team effort tonight, but I think the fingerpointing should be directed at OJ (for this particular loss). The turnaround from his 17 point fourth quarter against Utah to what he did tonight was nothing less than astonishing. 0-7 from 3, 3-12 from the field, and SIX turnovers is really just horrible.

#210 ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hate hate hate hate

#211 GritNGrind

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostMP73, on 15 April 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

AMEN! It's pathetic. We sucked it up pretty bad tonight....let's get the next one.

#212 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Emotional overreactions going on here.

The team played horribly and loss to a lesser team. It happens.

This is the most compressed part of a already compact schedule. At the beginning of the season, it looked bad, but the team had been handling these nights so well, I just expected them to win. They didn't.

Since March 30th (17 days):
12 games
5 nights off
2 games against teams not contending for playoffs (1-1)
3 games against teams contending, but currently not playoff team (Bucks, Jazz, Suns) 3-0
7 games against playoff teams (4-3)
1 game that didn't either have a game the night before nor night after.

They are running out of gas for a reason.

#213 TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

To restate what others have said .... when a team gets to the point where it can be called "Really Quite Good" it is going to win about 6/10 of its games. That means it is going to lose 4/10 of them.

Sometimes the team will play badly and win, sometimes it will lose.
Sometimes a single player will win or lose the game by himself.
It happens. That's why they play the games.

The big decision Hollins has to make for the rest of this season is this: When Mayo is cold do you get him to shoot his way out of it, or just sit him down? I suspect that last night he was trying to get data on that, even if it cost him the game.

#214 rockygriz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Per Sports 56, Marc has a bone bruise and will be OK.

#215 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostHerodotus, on 15 April 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I think a lot of people really need to calm down, particularly in regards to Hollins and Mayo, which is completely unwarranted. That said, I've got my own head-scratching and complaining to do. I've made several posts recently about Zach's defense. The Hornets put the game away tonight by scoring basket after basket at Randolph's expense. Carl Landry got easy scores. Josh Smith got so far behind him off of a slow-motion give-and-go that started at the free throw line that he ended up with an uncontested dunk under the basket. Zach got dragged out on the pick-and-roll (again...) and victimized over and over, whether Gordon or Vasquez. His defense is just a major liability right now. If he's going to be able to help us at all come Playoff time, he needs to show that he can actually move laterally. Otherwise, it's looking like he's doing more harm than good being out there. And I hate to say that. I do not think we can win a series in the Playoffs without Zach being able to be on the floor for 25 quality minutes a night, in which he is a threat on offense and gets some offensive boards. But he's not going to be able to stay on the court if he can't get it together on the defensive end. That's a real concern.

Also, Tony Allen. He's our own worst enemy. You've got teams hoping he'll try to bring the ball up against pressure, then he promptly obliges with a turnover. Hoping he'll squander a possession with a long jumper, which he offers them up, leading to a run out. Hoping he'll try to force something and create in the lane. He's awful. Hollins has to reign him in. I've also been making posts about this for awhile; I just don't think he's the same player he was last year. His mentality has changed and so has his play. If TA can't get the magic back, Hollins is going to have to have the strength to significantly reduce his role.
Thank you Herodotus concerning TA. He is responsible for multiple empty possessions every game. Last night when we were still within 10 pts, he shot a corner 3 with 15 secs left on shot clock not to mention a couple of just out of control drives where he ends up with no place to go and throws the ball in the general direction of the basket but gets it swatted away.

As far as his defense, I noticed Eric Gordon, who has played a whopping 6 games since he has come back from missing just about all year, get around TA and drive straight to the hoop for a couple layups and he scored 18 pts.

With respect to Zach, Ron Tillery was on Sports 560 this morning and spoke specifically about Zach and last nights game. He said that Zach was "deliberately" unagressive on the court last night. The way he said it, its like he knows something about how Zach is feeling. I dont know if Zach, at least in his mind, has proclaimed himself back and is not happy that Lionel wont start him.

But whatever it is, at least in Ron's opinion, Zach is doing it deliberately. He had something like 1 shot attempt midway through the 3qtr. Its like Zach was purposefully NOT engaging in the offense and simply passing it off or maybe taking an outside shot.

I just wonder if there is more of a problem here than we realize. Is Zach telling Hollins that if he wants anything out of him offensively or defensively, he needs to start him? Zach has towed the company line so far saying that its all about winning and the team, but if Ron is right and this is deliberate, what is going on then? The Grizz are very good at keeping things "in house."

I know that against Utah, Zach, when he got the ball, was aggressive and backed Millsap or Favors down into the low post and then attacked the basket a couple of times but against NOLA, he did not. There seems to be something going on there.

#216 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Man, seems that was a terrible game last night. I couldn't watch it... OJ was that terrible? At least the stats look that way, nice that he had that type of off game to show ppl that when he is off we are not that good... OJ has a important role here and it's way more thna score, he seems that was terrible but look at that I don't remember the last game that I saw him TO the ball close to thta much... 6 it is a disaster...in the other hand Rudy that is one of my focal points of critical had quite a nice game but he also had 4 TO... seems that was a game when OJ and Rudy believe they could win the game themselve they had together quite had more shoots than the starting lineup and Zbo...we must start to feed the paint again...I like the pick and roll situations and the cuts and screens but feeding the paint is what get us till here. Get back to that. Zbo with 2 shoots and Gasol with 6 is crazy... and those Aminu's slams <_< we must protect the poaint... the game against Clippers and Spurs we had the same problem.

And how about Gasol? Seems that he had some injury did he return?

Terrible game. It was a randomly. We will bounce back... but we need Gasol to go deep in the playoffs :(

#217 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostSimple_Like_That, on 16 April 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Man, seems that was a terrible game last night. I couldn't watch it... OJ was that terrible? At least the stats look that way, nice that he had that type of off game to show ppl that when he is off we are not that good... OJ has a important role here and it's way more thna score, he seems that was terrible but look at that I don't remember the last game that I saw him TO the ball close to thta much... 6 it is a disaster...in the other hand Rudy that is one of my focal points of critical had quite a nice game but he also had 4 TO... seems that was a game when OJ and Rudy believe they could win the game themselve they had together quite had more shoots than the starting lineup and Zbo...we must start to feed the paint again...I like the pick and roll situations and the cuts and screens but feeding the paint is what get us till here. Get back to that. Zbo with 2 shoots and Gasol with 6 is crazy... and those Aminu's slams <_< we must protect the poaint... the game against Clippers and Spurs we had the same problem.

And how about Gasol? Seems that he had some injury did he return?

Terrible game. It was a randomly. We will bounce back... but we need Gasol to go deep in the playoffs :(
Oj was that bad. Started out missing and kept on shooting. Zach was unaggressive. There is a problem there but that is another story. Marc knocked knees with Xavier Henry and went down writhing in pain. He got up and after being tended to by the trainer, he shot his FT (he had made a shot and gotten fouled) but did not make the "and one." We fouled on the rebound to stop play so Marc could get off the court.

He walked off on his own. Zach even followed Marc and the trainer back into the lockerroom. You could tell he was worried and wanted to be with Marc.

They performed an MRI last night late and today announced that Marc has a bone bruise on his knee. He is listed as day to day but most likely wont play tomorrow at Minny.

Oj continued to shoot, dribble between his legs and turn the ball over. We looked as bad and as out of sync as we have in a long time. We shot 35%. NOLA didnt play lights out. They shot only 41% but they won by 13. That is how bad we played. It was awful.

#218 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

View Postsouthbluffsgrizzfan, on 16 April 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Oj was that bad. Started out missing and kept on shooting. Zach was unaggressive. There is a problem there but that is another story. Marc knocked knees with Xavier Henry and went down writhing in pain. He got up and after being tended to by the trainer, he shot his FT (he had made a shot and gotten fouled) but did not make the "and one." We fouled on the rebound to stop play so Marc could get off the court.
  • He walked off on his own. Zach even followed Marc and the trainer back into the lockerroom. You could tell he was worried and wanted to be with Marc.

They performed an MRI last night late and today announced that Marc has a bone bruise on his knee. He is listed as day to day but most likely wont play tomorrow at Minny.

2. Oj continued to shoot, dribble between his legs and turn the ball over. We looked as bad and as out of sync as we have in a long time. We shot 35%. NOLA didnt play lights out. They shot only 41% but they won by 13. That is how bad we played. It was awful.

1. Nice if he walk away on his own it's good news...

2. OJ had a awesome game against Jazz and I know that like Rudy they want to make a big difference on the playoffs...give him the benefit of the doubt... he will bounce back just like the team... like I said on my previous post I didn't watch the game but the bit that I watch and the stats show me that we went of our stile. We must get back to work on inside and use the outside when the D familiarize with our O.