What Does The Conference Go By In The Nba?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Mtownballer

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Music, Sports, Guitars, Grizzlies, Titans

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

At first I thought they go by loses or wins but what is the GB? It seems they go by that

GB
4th LA Clippers = 7.0

GB
5th Memphis = 7.5

What does the GB stand for?

#2 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Games Behind

#3 Mtownballer

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Oh ok..how much points do we get if we win tonight. I'm thinking 7.5 like LAC?

#4 T.O.

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Is this real?

#5 grizzfan8390

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts
  • Interests:My music, I have an album out on iTunes for all the country fans out there!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I didn't know at one point either..

GB (Games behind) is a way to show how close the race is for the playoff spots. 1.0 is a combination of a win for one team and a lose for another. Tonight, the Clips play as well. If they lose and we win, then we gain ground on them by 1.0 games. Not a great explanation, but does it make sense?

#6 Mtownballer

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostGrizzfan8390, on 12 April 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

I didn't know at one point either..

GB (Games behind) is a way to show how close the race is for the playoff spots. 1.0 is a combination of a win for one team and a lose for another. Tonight, the Clips play as well. If they lose and we win, then we gain ground on them by 1.0 games. Not a great explanation, but does it make sense?

Yeah I get it now. Thanks!

#7 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostMtownballer, on 12 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

At first I thought they go by loses or wins but what is the GB? It seems they go by that

To answer your first question, yes they do go by wins and losses. At the end of the season, everyone will have played the same number of games and the teams will be ranked by wins and tie-breakers, etc

As people mentioned GB is games behind. Throughout the season, at any given time, teams will have played a different number of games. GB is used to gauge how far you are behind the division or conference leader. Throughout the season, most standings you see will be by division and the GB will be based on the team with the best record in the division. As the playoffs get closer, different sites start to show conference standings and the GB is based on who has the best record in the conference. A win is 0.5 games and a loss is 0.5 games. So for example, right now the Grizz are 34-23. The Thunder have the best record in the WC and they are 42-16. To calculate GB, subtract the wins (42-34=8) and multiply by 0.5 and then subtract the losses(16-23=7(absolute number don't worry about negatives)) and multiply that by 0.5. That tells you we are 4 GB in the win column and 3.5 GB in the loss column, add those two numbers together and that tells you the total GB which is 7.5. So we are 7.5 games behind the Thunder in the Western Conference standing. It just let's you know, how you stand against other teams considering teams have played a different number of games. The Grizz have played 57 games while the Thunder have played 58. Right now the Grizz are 0.5 games behind the Clippers for the 4th best record in the West. Both teams have 23 losses but the Clips have 35 wins as apposed to Grizz's 34 because they have played more games. Using the formula(35-34=1*0.5= 0,5 GB the Clips), the Grizz are a half game behind the Clips

Hope this helps.

#8 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostT.O., on 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Is this real?
:lol:

#9 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostT.O., on 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Is this real?
Come on man, there was a point where all of us didn't really understand how positioning worked.

GB = games behind the team in first place. Every time a team wins a game, they move forward 0.5 games. When they lose, they move back 0.5 games. It's the simplest way to keep track of where teams are in the standings.

#10 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

The most important stat in the standings with regard to games behind is losses. You can always gain a win, but can never get back a loss. For example, the Grizzlies are 1 1/2 games behind the Clips, but the Clips must lose 2 more games for the Grizzlies to pass them.

#11 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PosttheGrizzFan, on 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

The most important stat in the standings with regard to games behind is losses. You can always gain a win, but can never get back a loss. For example, the Grizzlies are 1 1/2 games behind the Clips, but the Clips must lose 2 more games for the Grizzlies to pass them.

Not sure they'll lose two more, but it would probably be next week, if it is going to happen.

And in the last week they go to Atlanta and the Knicks. What would help is if Atlanta can stay in a 4/5/6 battle with Orlando and Boston, while NY stays engaged in some kind of race.

#12 GrizzaretheBizz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostGTG, on 13 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Come on man, there was a point where all of us didn't really understand how positioning worked.

I disagree, I can't believe a question like this would be asked either and then he asked how many "pts" we get if we win. I've never not known what "GB" means

#13 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostGrizzaretheBizz, on 14 April 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

I disagree, I can't believe a question like this would be asked either and then he asked how many "pts" we get if we win. I've never not known what "GB" means
The old C.B.A. used a point system. 3 points for a win and 1 point for every quarter you won. So in case the guy just awoke from a very long coma, go Albany Patroons!

#14 rockygriz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

"I want the truth."
"You can't handle the truth"

http://www.nba.com/s...ew_Std_Cnf.html

The truth. The NBA explanation. Don't go there unless you want to work at figuring it out.

#15 Minarae

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

Come on, give the guy some slack.

Its an honest question. (I presume :))

Basically, its the difference in wins and games played with reference from the top seeded team in the conference.
Play an NBA videogame and become a stat freak, that's a fun way of figuring it out. :lol:

Personally, I cant explain it to you in detail but luckily I could understand it by just looking.
Thank you Live and 2k. XD

#16 rockygriz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostTip City, on 15 April 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Come on, give the guy some slack.

Its an honest question. (I presume :))

Personally, I cant explain it to you in detail but luckily I could understand it by just looking.
Thank you Live and 2k. XD
I apologize for that. Here's how I figure it. Compare their record with ours. Start with total wins. Each win more that we have is 1/2 game ahead. Go to losses. Each loss we have LESS than theirs is 1/2 game. Add these together.
Us: 35 - 24
Dallas: 34 - 26
Wins: 35 - 34 = 1 win more = 1/2 game.
Losses 26 - 24 = 2 = 2/2 game or 1 game.
1 + 1/2 = 1 1/2. We are 1 1/2 games ahead of Dallas.