True Title Contenders

7 replies to this topic

#1 GrizzaretheBizz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Today on espn.com there's an insider story of the 8 teams that a have a real shot at the title, if anybody can put it up I would appreciate it.

#2 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,769 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Memphis

Posted Image

Bring up the words "puncher's chance" and "playoffs," and the Grizzlies' name will come up a lot. Memphis has held down the fort despite missing Randolph for most of the season, cobbling together a frontcourt rotation from driftwood and welcoming Z-Bo back a few weeks ago.

Randolph shows flashes of last season's dominating post player in bits and pieces but is still coming off the bench while he gets his timing and feel back. For the Grizzlies to make a deep playoff run, however, they need to have him back in the starting lineup as the focal point of the offense.

And if that happens? Consider that the Griz beat San Antonio and took the Thunder to seven games a year ago without Rudy Gay, and that Gay is back this season and appears to be peaking himself after some early-season struggles. Consider, too, that Memphis is another "weak bench" team that gets to hide its biggest shortcoming under the rug in the playoffs.

As with L.A. and Boston, Memphis' contention hopes are fragile -- one injury and forget it. But a fully healthy Grizzlies team represents a legitimate threat to the Thunder and Spurs, neither of whom match up particularly well against Memphis.

#3 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,808 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Memphis is another weak bench team that gets to hide its biggest shortcoming under the rug in the playoffs.

Somebody hasn't done his homework. The Grizzlies bench has O J Mayo, Gilbert Arenas, Quincy Pondexter, Dante Cunningham, Marreese Speights, Jeremy Pargo and Hamed Haddadi assuming Z-Bo and Tony are back in the starting lineup.

If this is the team's biggest shortcoming then the Grizzlies are a more serious threat than I thought.

#4 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postchipc3, on 12 April 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Somebody hasn't done his homework. The Grizzlies bench has O J Mayo, Gilbert Arenas, Quincy Pondexter, Dante Cunningham, Marreese Speights, Jeremy Pargo and Hamed Haddadi assuming Z-Bo and Tony are back in the starting lineup.

If this is the team's biggest shortcoming then the Grizzlies are a more serious threat than I thought.
+1

#5 grizzfan8390

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts
  • Interests:My music, I have an album out on iTunes for all the country fans out there!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postchipc3, on 12 April 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

I thought the same thing, I feel like our bench is one of the strongest in the league. I'm starting to like being under the radar.

#6 Toumillle

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Weak bench ? You've got to be kidding me !?

"As with L.A. and Boston, Memphis' contention hopes are fragile -- one injury and forget it."
:ph34r: :rolleyes:

#7 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostToumillle, on 12 April 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Weak bench ? You've got to be kidding me !?

"As with L.A. and Boston, Memphis' contention hopes are fragile -- one injury and forget it."
:ph34r: :rolleyes:
I was just about to post this as a thread. What is he talking about? He obviously hasn't watched us play. Mo Speights may have started out as "driftwood" but he is solid as oak at this point.

Of course, Randolph was as valuable as mahogany at his peak, but that is beside the point; our starting unit is far from slaw and we aren't playing too poorly with ZBo coming off the bench and killing.

#8 T.O.

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but here's another article from espn.com that proclaims Memphis a title contender.

http://espn.go.com/n...ders-flaws-show