http://www.playoffst...gicnumbers.html

#2 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,808 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Really? Then how come we are 4 and a half games ahead of Utah for 9th place and have lost the season series to the Jazz? I don't see how we are only 4 games from clinching.

Not that is matters. After Saturday night we will have all the space we need with the schedule we have remaining. I just don't want any team the Grizzlies played more than once this season being undefeated against the Grizzlies.

#3 Greater Memphis Grind

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

View Postchipc3, on 12 April 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Really? Then how come we are 4 and a half games ahead of Utah for 9th place and have lost the season series to the Jazz? I don't see how we are only 4 games from clinching.

Not that is matters. After Saturday night we will have all the space we need with the schedule we have remaining. I just don't want any team the Grizzlies played more than once this season being undefeated against the Grizzlies.
Hey, I just go by the numbers! But good point

#4 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Postchipc3, on 12 April 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

With the Jazz loss last night....if the Grizz win only 4 games, and lose the rest, and the Jazz win out, the Grizz end up 38-28. The Jazz already have 29 losses. If you made your post before the Jazz lost, than I don't know how that would have made sense.

#5 Greater Memphis Grind

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostGrizzled Vet, on 14 April 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

With the Jazz loss last night....if the Grizz win only 4 games, and lose the rest, and the Jazz win out, the Grizz end up 38-28. The Jazz already have 29 losses. If you made your post before the Jazz lost, than I don't know how that would have made sense.

he did, and it didnt make sense. that site was wrong I think

#6 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Pranica mentioned during the game that our magic number was 5. Since we won, I assume it is now down to 4.

Win tomorrow and it's down to 3. If Phoenix loses Monday night, it's down to 2 then if we win on Tuesday @MIN, we'll have a chance to clinch on Wednesday at home against the Hornets.

#7 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostGTG, on 14 April 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Pranica mentioned during the game that our magic number was 5. Since we won, I assume it is now down to 4.

Win tomorrow and it's down to 3. If Phoenix loses Monday night, it's down to 2 then if we win on Tuesday @MIN, we'll have a chance to clinch on Wednesday at home against the Hornets.
Magic number is a combination of wins by your team and losses by the team trailing your team, in this instance Phoenix and Utah. If our magic number was five against Phoenix, then after our win and their loss, the number is down to three. Any combination of wins by us and losses by Phoenix totaling three puts us into the playoffs.

With three wins, our win total will equal 38. With only six games remaining, the most wins the Suns can get is 37, so we would be in the playoffs. Our magic number for Utah is down to two with tonight's game.

So, a win tomorrow reduces those numbers to two and one.

#8 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

So we could clinch on Tuesday if we win tomorrow and Phoenix loses on Monday?

#9 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostGTG, on 14 April 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

So we could clinch on Tuesday if we win tomorrow and Phoenix loses on Monday?
Yes, we would clinch if we win tomorrow, Phoenix loses Monday, and then we win Tuesday.

#10 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostWells, on 14 April 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Yes, we would clinch if we win tomorrow, Phoenix loses Monday, and then we win Tuesday.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. This is all pretty confusing. :P

Hope we can do it. :)

#11 catalina2013

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Wouldn't a win by the Grizz against the Hornets on Sunday and a loss by the Suns on Monday put us in tie breaker situation with Phoenix?

And since the Suns own the tie breaker over us; I believe the Grizz still would need another win or Phoenix loss to move ahead of the Suns and Utah would have to have to lose again even if we win Sunday against the Hornets since Utah also owns the tie breaker over us.

I could be wrong on this. Like GTG says It's pretty confusing. But, I'm not worried the Grizz will be in the playoffs (probably as the #5 seed in the West). :)

#12 rockygriz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

I knew it would go like this. Here's my take, FWIW. Since we have a different number of games left, I look at losses. Utah has 30 losses. Worst case, we have 31. They have the tie breaker. Magic number = 2.

Phoenix: Their schedule is SO nasty I don't want to fool with the numbers. I guess the magic number is 3.

#13 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

According to this, our magic number is 3 and it's 5 for the 5th seed.

#14 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostGranttis, on 15 April 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

According to this, our magic number is 3 and it's 5 for the 5th seed.
Nice! Thanks.