Marc Gasol Gets Owned By Good Big Men

49 replies to this topic

#1 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Marc is an allstar but when we play teams with good big men Marc is not effective at all he just stands their with his hands up the whole game while guys get easy baskets all night he definitely got to step up defensively I have seen way to many games this year where guys will get way over their season average when playing him

#2 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Guess we better trade him or cut him this summer.

#3 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Postsmit-tay griz, on 26 March 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I guess he need to play defense better. Jump at least

#4 grizzwhizz

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Rediculous topic.

On a serious note Demarcus Cousins had 38 & 14 tonight against the Rockets. Do you think Marc will ever post numbers like that? I'm not sure he is aggressive enough to ever score 38

#5 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Plain and simple if Mike Conley and Marc gasol getting owned by good point guards and centers we are doomed

#6 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postrealgfan, on 26 March 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Horrible. He's only ninth in the league in blocks. We're doomed.

#7 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,794 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

It's probably just a coincidence that Marc's defensive weaknesses correspond with Z-Bo returning to the team. Suddenly Marc goes from being a decent center to a sieve on defense? Maybe having to cover more for someone else has left him vulnerable to being out of position.

Just a thought to ponder.

#8 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

No offensive, but is it really necessary to create two topics one stating that Mike Conley is a "liability" and we should consider replacing him and the other saying that Gasol gets "owned"? Especially the night after one of our biggest wins of the season?

Excessive negativity.

#9 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Good thing there are so few "good" centers in the NBA, then. /sarc

100 post rule

#10 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

If we didn't go zone all the time and leave him alone in the middle, he'll actually look better. 3 second defensive rule doesn't help.

#11 guillermo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

marc knows how to avoid fouls and still play good defense. He forces players to take tough shots- he's not trying to block everything. and yet he's top ten in blocks im sure.

#12 Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

View Postchipc3, on 26 March 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

It's probably just a coincidence that Marc's defensive weaknesses correspond with Z-Bo returning to the team. Suddenly Marc goes from being a decent center to a sieve on defense? Maybe having to cover more for someone else has left him vulnerable to being out of position.

Just a thought to ponder.

Wait, are you saying Speights is a good defender? That's a first. And Zbo didn't play in the first 2 games against the Lakers.

#13 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I don't think Speights is a good defender, but his length covers up some of his mistakes. You can't say the same for ZBO.

There was a few plays against the Lakers, where Speights was in and he contested a few buckets that would've been dunks on ZBO. For those who follow @HPBasketball on Twitter, he just so happened to point it out when I saw it.

I do wonder how good Speights could be if he got a full offseason list from the coaching staff and a training camp under Hollins. Putting in that hard work to lose weight & improve his weaknesses could make him very good.

If something like that happened, this would allow the team to free up space and gain some depth by dealing ZBO/OJ in a package deal. I know it sounds far fetched, but I would love to see a Speights who reached his potential next to Marc.

BTW, I dont want to trade ZBO...at least not now anyway. But, if this team doesn't reach a certain expectation this year or next year, something is going to happen with the core.

#14 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 26 March 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

I don't think Speights is a good defender, but his length covers up some of his mistakes. You can't say the same for ZBO.

There was a few plays against the Lakers, where Speights was in and he contested a few buckets that would've been dunks on ZBO. For those who follow @HPBasketball on Twitter, he just so happened to point it out when I saw it.

I do wonder how good Speights could be if he got a full offseason list from the coaching staff and a training camp under Hollins. Putting in that hard work to lose weight & improve his weaknesses could make him very good.

If something like that happened, this would allow the team to free up space and gain some depth by dealing ZBO/OJ in a package deal. I know it sounds far fetched, but I would love to see a Speights who reached his potential next to Marc.

BTW, I dont want to trade ZBO...at least not now anyway. But, if this team doesn't reach a certain expectation this year or next year, something is going to happen with the core.
I'm beginning to like the idea of signing Speights over DA, especially because I feel that Speights is versatile and big enough to play at center. With the signing of a 1st round pick we are expected to be around $8 million under the luxury tax threshold. I think giving him the $3.8 million QO would be good money.

#15 BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

So you're telling me that there is a correlation between the points Marc gives up to opposing Centers and the overall talent level of opposing Centers? What a revelation!!

#16 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postrealgfan, on 26 March 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Centers shouldn't jump on defense because it will be a foul 95% of the time. With his length I want him to do nothing but stay in front of his man with his arms straight up.

#17 depaso+

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

View Postsmit-tay griz, on 26 March 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Nobody is going to take his horrible contract, we must cut him.

#18 GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

This board needs a xanax and an enema.

#19 memphis slim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Posted Image

anybody remember this guy?
talk about ahead of his time.
he hand guard handles, with the size of a pf.
had he not 'teamed' up with marvin alexander and gotten kicked off the tigers team early, i really think he would have stayed a long time in the league....

slim.

#20 realgfan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I thought I was a big grizzlies fan...some of you guys on here head is so far up the grizzlies butt that you can't see the flaws of our team wake up the grizzlies are good but have some serious flaws that need to be addressed and don't get me started on these sarcastic people on here